Hi guys

I am considering changing my I7-6700K running at 4.0GHz stock to an Intel Core i9 9900K. My question, is it worth doing or should I save my money and stay with what I have got. I have a Nvida GTX 2060 and I fly X Plane (an hopefully MSFS 2020). Thanks for any answers.

With the Intel i9 9900K you get 2 times  of cores and hyperthreading and cores running around 4.7 - 5.0 GHz compared to i7 6700K.

In theory it should be a 2 X boost in performance plus another hefty 25% increase due to higher clock speeds for the cores.

But as the rendering  and flight system data are more or less done by ONE core you will not see such a huge increase in performance as the theory says.

I guess you will go from i.e. 30 FPS to 40 FPS and some less stutters. This should be valid if your video card can use the extra data from the CPU. If your video card is already a bootleneck (running now at 100%) in your system you will not see any performance gain.

Correct me if I am wrong.

4 hours ago, nas123 said:

With the Intel i9 9900K you get 2 times  of cores and hyperthreading and cores running around 4.7 - 5.0 GHz compared to i7 6700K.

In theory it should be a 2 X boost in performance plus another hefty 25% increase due to higher clock speeds for the cores.

But as the rendering  and flight system data are more or less done by ONE core you will not see such a huge increase in performance as the theory says.

I guess you will go from i.e. 30 FPS to 40 FPS and some less stutters. This should be valid if your video card can use the extra data from the CPU. If your video card is already a bootleneck (running now at 100%) in your system you will not see any performance gain.

Correct me if I am wrong.

"In theory it should be a 2x boost in performance"

whose theory is that?

It's wrong 😉

9900k will be about 10-20% faster than 6700k in flight sim.  

12 hours ago, johnbla said:

Tks guys.

To be clear, I moved from a 7700k to a 9900k, mostly for flight sim.  I did so knowing full well that the FPS boost was going to be non-existant in my case since the 7700k was running at 5.2GHz and flight sim framerates are determined in large part by CPU single-thread performance, and that a 9900k's chances of hitting 5.2GHz reliably are very, very low on anything other than sub-ambient cooling.  My reason for moving to the 9900k then, is mostly for future-proofing (such as it can be had), higher performance in non-sim titles, and for better texture loading in FS. 

Bottom line: 9900k is the best CPU on the market today for gaming/flight sims. 

On 10/24/2019 at 10:12 AM, TechguyMaxC said:

and for better texture loading in FS. 

So then with the extra cores, was it a noticeable difference regarding loading times?

Flight Simulator - P3D V4.5/V5.1/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I just upgraded, got the i9 9900k at a good price 530 Canadian new 

and z390 aorus 

32gb 3600cl 16  ddr 4

1080ti msi lightning z

dont even need to oc that baby, for now. 
for those who do oc to 5 5.2ghz and get into issues 

your oc ain’t stable!!!! As you think it is. 

just watch your sliders 

P3d is running like a dream with ht on also. 
running complex scenery and aircraft.