Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Display of system specs

If my memory serves me well, there was a time when Avsim made compulsory to add one's system specs in one's signature.  Wasn't a bad idea IMO as it gives some perspective to posts commenting on the smoothness (or the lack thereof) of using such or such addon.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Inclusion of system specs in an original post is usually needed if that post is actually a question related to system specs...

Otherwise, specs are usually given for bragging rights😏

1 hour ago, domkle said:

If my memory serves me well, there was a time when Avsim made compulsory to add one's system specs in one's signature.  Wasn't a bad idea IMO as it gives some perspective to posts commenting on the smoothness (or the lack thereof) of using such or such addon.

I don't remember that ever happening at AVSIM.  We have gone back and forth on where to put system specs over the years (e.g. into the sig line or into the profile), but we've never required it.

I don't agree that it's usually an issue of bragging rights.  As the OP mentions, it's important background information when assessing someone's opinions on add-ons, configurations, etc.  If someone says addon X brought their frame rates down to a stuttering 12 fps mess, it makes a huge diffference in the veracity of the complaint if the poster is running a weak 6-year-old system versus a modern cutting-edge machine.  It's also instructive to see what other people are using in their setups.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Nope, it could be any thread. For instance I follow one  about the FSLabs bird with people telling how it performs compared to other liners (PMDG etc.) without any indication of their hardware which renders their opinion kinda useless for me with my weak CPU. It could be an airport or a scenery...

I don't think people brags about their specs if you except a couple of fellow simmers that indeed are always glad to tell us about their golden rig . And why not after all...  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I don't remember that ever happening at AVSIM.  We have gone back and forth on where to put system specs over the years (e.g. into the sig line or into the profile), but we've never required it.

You may be right. I remember of Tom's stern reminders but it was maybe to put them on the left side of the screen below the avatar instead than with the sig... or the other way round ! 

Dominique

There is a five line limit in the signature block to include any banners or other images and maybe some do not have the space (Tom gave Admins and Staff more than 5 lines).  I like the idea of having system specs in the signature as it helps me out when someone has a CTD.  It also gives good info when someone says they cannot get more than 30 fps in P3DV4 and they have an i7 9900K or one of the latest CPU's.  Many think they have a super system (and they do) so they ratchet all the sliders to the right or max settings throughout the P3D.cfg.  They also are flying an aircraft that uses a lot of resources and scenery too.  The signature rules developed by Tom and I has one line that might be construed to show system specs, your favorite sim (P3Dv4, P3dV3, FSX, X-Plane, etc.) and your addons.  It states, "We encourage you to create a unique and informative signature for your account." 

I do know signatures got people into trouble sometimes as Tom would find advertising in violation of our advertising rules and tell me to get the member to remove it. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Mea culpa: 

Yes, well what I should have said instead of just "related to system specs" was also any problems that may be caused by someone's specs should definitely list specs in a post.  Could'n hurt...