Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Will a good mobo for 9900K fit in my old HAF-X case?

After nearly 6y of an average of 3-4h/day overclocked to 4.32-4.42Ghz my 3930K is finally beginning to hint the end is near.  I assembled it along w/ an 800W PSU and an original GTX Titan, 32gb of ram.  I've been assembling PCs for 20+ years or so but this time I was going to consider looking for a custom builder.  After looking at pricing, I'm looking again at doing my own.  

Couple of questions if you will that will help me decide how to go:

1.  I'll never do SLI, so with a 9900K or 9700K overclocked as able, an RTX 2080Ti, 32Gb of some kind of ram, and a mobo to support it, what size PSU will I need?

2.  Will a mobo to accommodate these parts and fit into my 6y/o old HAF-X case?  What's the right mobo for me?  I think I'd like to do water cooling to the CPU if it is plug n play and easy to do w/ no risk for leakage.  I'm using a Noctua air cooler now it's just so bulky I'd be OK with maybe doing water this time.

3.  I have two Samsung Sata 3 SSDs one is 6y/o the other 2 or 3y.  Any new interface drives SIGNIFICANTLY better than these?  It's been 6y since I looked at the evolving tech.

4.  Windows 10 I guess it is, yes?  I still use Win 7 and it's always been great.

Finally, if I chicken out, who's a good custom builder?  Thanks!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I have a 9900 in a  micro ATX ASUS mobo and RTX 2080ti,  so there are great mobos in a smaller format.  make sure your case will handle the graphics card in both number of slots (width) and the length of the card.

Jeff Callender

OK I guess I will be OK provided I don't use a micro ATX board as my case is supposed to support ATX / E-ATX / XL-ATX. Thanks

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Absolutely!!!! I have a haf x 942 case since 2010 and love it. Fits like a glove. 

and running cooooool

It is a very good case I agree which is why I want to use it again for this build.

Noel

Hi Noel,

I would not know what MOBO, CPU Cooling solution, hardware spec to recommend these days, my rig is 2014 era, and may never be replaced.

But....

I have the same Case (HAF-X 942) with a Noctua Twin Tower cooler (NH-D15) there's plenty of room width-wise to offset the first fan above the Ram Slots for over height Ram heatsinks, and still have 10-15mm between the side panel and cooler fans. I would venture to say one of the biggest cases you will find. The HAF-X-942 was built for some of the biggest motherboards (ATX formfactors) with plenty of room at the top and bottom of the case. Also can accommodate some of the longest Graphics cards. Only downside is USB3.0 Front ports that are not on the Motherboard back panel ports, there is a purpose made cable/connector for this which you should still have in your kit of spare parts unless you have already installed it for your current setup.  (Onboard USB3.0 is very much standard these days)  as this case was introduced in the early days of USB3.0 that was the solution.

Your Noctua cooler is more than likely an AIO killer, but that's just my opinion. Not much can go wrong with performance air cooling solutions.

The cutout for Motherboard CPU heatsink back/bracket is not positioned very well, perhaps it would have been depending on MOBO's of the era, don't know about the alignment for todays MOBO offerings, but its not a biggie imho.
Another positive for the HAF-X-942 is the 2 Hotswap SATA bays. And of course the legendary airflow characteristics and massive fans (superb cooling). Some say the case is ugly and excessive, but it performs its job magnificently as I'm sure you know. "Tech - j e s u s  Steve of Gamers Nexus" did a retro look back on this Case mid 2018 to see how it fared compared to 2018-2019 offerings, and while it has its faults it did exceptionally well, however not so modern looking, some of us don't care for puke RGB lights & fans or tempered glass. Cooling Performance is the key, then avert your eyes from her rugged exterior.

Here's some pics of my rig. I've filled in the front bezel to smooth out the aggressive plastic, it was an external dust collector.

20191101-173641.jpg

20191101-173717.jpg

20191101-185757.jpg

20191101-184015.jpg

Edited by Jethro
  • Like 1

Thanks Jethro our friend Martin who I think works for Noctua (JK :blink:) advised me on the air cooler which has worked great for my machine.  I installed a thru-the-wall air conditioner immediately behind the openable side so that the box was bathed in very cool which I used mainly during the warm months in Nor California.  At full o'clock temps stayed around 56C on the main thread.  I think Martin pointed out the DH-14 which I think is what was installed on my machine would outperform AIO coolers so I could still go there. 

Very glad to still use the HAF-X it's such a great case I agree!

Noel

I used an 850W PSU for a similar build (9900K, 1080Ti). 

Your case is fine...one update you might want/need is an aftermarket USB3 front panel (fits into one of the 5-inch slots in the front) if you want USB3 access at the front panel, as the older case probably is USB2 only.  Motherboards have not changed in size...the HAF-X can comfortably accomodate everything up to a full ATX board.

A Noctua NH-D14/15 performs at-par with the 240/280mm AIO coolers, so replacing your air cooler with one of them isn't really a move up...a custom loop is a different story.  With an overclocked 9900K and that case I'd seriously consider a custom loop, as the heat output can pretty much max-out either a good air cooler or the most popular dual fan AIO units.

Your SATA III SSDs will also work just fine.  The NVMe drives are considerably faster, but that really only translates into minor performance improvements, mostly in reduced load times at startup.  The M2 drives, either NVMe or SATA, do reduce the wiring clutter quite a bit, as they mount under a plate right on the mobo with no power or data cabling.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thank you kindly Bob ;o)

Noel

On 11/1/2019 at 9:40 AM, w6kd said:

A Noctua NH-D14/15 performs at-par with the 240/280mm AIO coolers, so replacing your air cooler with one of them isn't really a move up...a custom loop is a different story.  With an overclocked 9900K and that case I'd seriously consider a custom loop, as the heat output can pretty much max-out either a good air cooler or the most popular dual fan AIO units.

Regards

Can you guide me on where to look for a custom loop solution that is unequivocally superior to Noctua or AIO, and isn't too difficult to assemble or...pay for?!

I've had the best of all cooling solutions (IMO, of course) for the past 15y or so but that lives in my former residence in the late town of Paradise.  My last 3 builds benefited from a small thru-the-wall a/c unit that delivers, as required for example during the warmer months of the year, very cool ambient air into the case which kept EVERYTHING quite cool.  I'm sure it's a significant reason why my 3930K, PSU, mainboard and GTX Titan still run quite well despite overvolting for going on 6y averaging 4+h/day. That is not an option for me now so I need to be sure I have something that will do the job.

Edited by Noel

Noel

33 minutes ago, Noel said:

Can you guide me on where to look for a custom loop solution that is unequivocally superior to Noctua or AIO, and isn't too difficult to assemble or...pay for?!

Paradise CA?  Ouch.  We had a couple major wildfires here back in 2012/13...one was just a few miles from us.

A custom loop is a real project, not a plug-and-play proposition at all...doing it right is going to take some time and research.  The results are worth it.

A good basic loop would be a deep triple-radiator (I use the XSPC RX360), a Swiftek MCP655 or other Laing D5 type pump, 1/2" ID tubing, reservoir of choice, and a good CPU block (I use Swiftek and EK).  That will keep up with an overclocked 9900K.  I have the pump, radiators, and reservoir all set up on a rack external to the PC with the water lines running in from the "cooling tower" to the CPU block.  That way the only water connections inside the case are the input and output barbs on the CPU block.  My water cooling rig has cooled four sim computers over a span of nearly 10 years now.

My portable sim rig has a 9900K with a Noctua NH-D15.  It seems to hold its own under P3D workloads OK, but it's pretty much maxxed out in my basement man cave where it's 68-deg year-round--it can't manage a 5 GHz 8-core run of Prime95 without thermal throttling, and I anticipate having to downclock it a couple notches when I take it to FL and TX to see the grandkids.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thank you Bob.  Are there not any packaged solutions such that all that needs to be put in the box is the input/output lines?   I know 'custom' implies not, but by now I'm surprised there aren't packaged solutions available since from what you're saying everyone interested enough in a 9900K or KS will need this ultimately, at least those running flight sims.  Also, when you say your air cooled 9900K is pretty much maxed out w/ the ambient of 68F, what is maxed out look like as far as core temps go?  When does throttling occur, at what temp?

Here is the best overview of the Camp Fire I've seen to date--if you haven't seen it it's worth a look before it disappears:  

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/fire-in-paradise/

Edited by Noel

Noel

Hi Noel,

Just interested following your thread. Custom loops tend to be trickey, not really something that should be attempted if you aren't aware of all the pitfalls, Dismantling Fan cooler heatsink from Graphics cards and mounting Water block thermocouple, Cutting and bending tube, mounting and priming the pump, reservoir and system. Though if done right can be a really beneficial cooling solution. More of an enthusiast level skill, than a simple purchase or easy install.
There aren't any made to measure custom loops, because everyone's hardware is slightly different. (One size does not fit all). There will be different obstacles to consider but can be overcome with a little forward planning.
Cost of custom loop is also a consideration not taken lightly, that seems to be the best case for AIO's (CPU cooling only) where it is still water cooling but a fraction of the cost. If you were keen you could AIO your Graphics card separately if you can find the right mounting for the extra RAD & Fans.
If there was however, a custom loop made on the provision that you selected the required Case, Motherboard, CPU, Graphics Card, thermocouples, reservoir, fittings and other hardware did not interfere with Pump & Mounting location and radiator fan combo, and the tubes and thermo coupling blocks were unimpeded and routed exactly as cut to measure, then it would be simple.

Then there's the maintenance, good clean cooling fluid with no bacterial growth, and constantly monitoring for potential leaks. (Cycles of heat expansion and cooling contraction can loosen fixtures gradually).
Less headaches with aircooling, cost effective, NH-D14 or NH-D15 / NH-D15s offset Twintower, your HAF X942 laughs at the pewney size of these monster coolers. And Bob seems to fare quite well, temperatures not withstanding, his 9900K seems cool enough @ 5Ghz

• Upvote 1

Thank you Jethro that is the voice of reason.   I DO NOT care if I hit 5Ghz, or 4.8Ghz, or even 4.6Ghz the practical difference is just not there relative to the cost in terms of cooling needs and overvolting.  As I am way more concerned about longevity over a few fractions of a Ghz I think I will go w/ the cost effective air cooler from Noctua.  Thank you for waking me up!

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Noel