Sign in to follow this  
waleed

Which VR headset

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

...im just ponting out that it’s deeply misleading to refer to the Rift S as “barely usable”. It’s fine if its not your favourite, but thousands of simmers fly regularly with it. Hyperbole like this just adds to the misinformation that those who havent tried VR spread around these parts.

Don't think my experience is misleading. From a RW pilots view the resolution, for e.g. the runway/runway details, PAPIs etc on short final is just barely usable. I don't care if gamers find it great etc., for serious flightsimming it's just that.

I didn't say it's bad or unusable, I'm just pointing out that there is already better VR equipment available for flightsims.

51 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Hey, I bought my odyssey+ cos you were spruiking them last black friday! 🙂

I actually enjoyed it for a while, but agree with all of your points above, apart from maybe the controller bit (they’re ok, not great).

interestingly, i pulled the odyssey out this week and tried a couple of flights. Having got used to the rift s, the picture quality of the Samsung HMD was surprisingly poor. In my imagination, it was going to be sharper (which it should be, sort of), but flying p3d/NGXu this wasn’t the case. WMR software was a bit annoying as always, but i was psyched for that.

I can’t imagine flying in p3d with it again. Would certainly recommend the Rift S over it for anyone running this sim.

I guess it's a progression. Last year the Samsung Odyssey plus was a definite step up over the Oculus cv1. Now, the Oculus Rift-s is a step up (visually) over both the cv1 and the Samsung Odyssey Plus. ( Well, the Odyssey still has more vibrant colors and deeper blacks... Plus built in headphones and a real Ipd adjust!)

$229 for all of that remains a steal.

There's actually little reason for someone starting out with the Odyssey and never having experienced a rift-s  not to be satisfied with their purchase.

That being said, who knows what will be at the top of the heap, next! 😃

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

14 hours ago, FDEdev said:

I didn't say it's bad or unusable.

Of course you did. You said the Rift S was “barely usable”. That’s the whole point of why I’ve been responding to you. 

I also don’t think your new “rift s may be ok for gamers, but no real pilot would use it” line of argument holds water. There’s a lot more real pilots flying x-plane and p3d with the Rift S than the Reverb. If you can’t see the PAPI lights with it, I’d suggest there’s something wrong with your setup.

As i’ve said, I’ve got nothing against the Reverb, and (probably) plan to get one when I can (though WMR is far from ideal as a platform). I’m just trying to set the record straight about the Rift, as have several other posters in this thread.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

It doesn't make sense responding to you since you are constantly misquoting/misunderstanding me.

E.g. unusable is not the same as barely useable, I never wrote that no real pilot would use the Rift and I never wrote that I can't see the PAPIs. 

Have a nice day.

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

It doesn't make sense responding to you since you are constantly misquoting/misunderstanding me.

E.g. unusable is not the same as barely useable, I never wrote that no real pilot would use the Rift and I never wrote that I can't see the PAPIs. 

Have a nice day.

“Bad” has the same meaning as “barely usable”. You can’t say several times that it’s barely usable and then turn around that you didn’t say it’s bad!

I’m quoting you, not misquoting you.

Re: “ i never wrote i can’t see the PAPIs”, you just posted:

”From a RW pilots view the resolution, for e.g. the runway/runway details, PAPIs etc on short final is just barely usable. I don't care if gamers find it great etc., for serious flightsimming it's just that.”

It’s  fine, i’m not upset about this, i just want to set the record straight about the Rift S.

Rift S is a great HMD for flightsim, whether or not you’re a real pilot. Definitely not just for “gamers”.

Have a nice day to you also, and keep on VR-ing. 🙂

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."