Sign in to follow this  
christinney

Not picking up certain commands since update

I understand the PNF won't action the  "SELECT COMMAND A" command until we're airborne but can you tell me whether the green bar will read and display it on the ground?  Or is it ignored altogether until the conditions are right?

ngxu_banner.png

19 hours ago, ailchim said:

I understand the PNF won't action the  "SELECT COMMAND A" command until we're airborne but can you tell me whether the green bar will read and display it on the ground?  Or is it ignored altogether until the conditions are right?

The Green Bar will display whatever the speech system detects regardless of where are you.

"Select (Engage) Command A" is a long phrase; it should be easily detected.

He's definitely not responding to "Select Command A".  Could be my voice of course, either in the change to English (UK) or the NGXu.

ngxu_banner.png

6 hours ago, ailchim said:

He's definitely not responding to "Select Command A".  Could be my voice of course, either in the change to English (UK) or the NGXu.

This is literally the code from our speech grammar file:

<p>select command a</p>
  <p>select command b</p>
  <p>select autopilot on</p>

If you don't see that in the green bar, it's purely an issue with your accent.

I'm stumped then.  I've run the voice training more than once and checked via Speech Recognition Dictation that the mic is recognizing my voice for key words in FS2Crew,   Dictation doesn't allow me to dictate the word "Select" as it reads it as a Speech Recognition command but how could I mispronounce "Select"?  Speech Recognition is definitely off when running P3D. 

Some commands are working (e.g. the PNF will set vref from vref +5 at 100 feet in the landing phase in response to "Set Speed XXX") but most other commands aren't.  I mentioned "Select Command A" because it's the one I can't reach when hand flying.  "Engage" doesn't work either.

The checklists are working pretty well.  I can't get FS2Crew to recognize "Auto" as a response to "Start Switches" and I'm having to use "Set and Checked" but otherwise it's 90%+ OK and the other 10% is probably me.

I've been using your stuff for years and I know it works.

I have recently moved my mic connection from the sockets at the back of the machine to the ones on the top.  I can't see why that would make a difference and the new UK voice profile was done using the top sockets but I'll try reversing it, deleting the old profiles and starting again (I'm an expert on MS Speech recognition, why your friends should always speak into their phones directly and how Speech Recognition developed from telephone systems now!).

If that doesn't work, maybe a new head set is the answer.  The one I have has survived being run over by the vacuum cleaner, which did for its predecessors before they got to old age! 

I will ask again though: are you sure nothing Microsoft has done has some how commandeered the  word "Select" even though Speech Recognition is off? 

Edited by ailchim

ngxu_banner.png

There's nothing wrong with Select Command A in the grammar.  It'll accept anything.

I'm putting my money on your headset being run over one too many times.

Also, try moving your headset plugs to the back of your computer.

When you move/change headsets, delete your voice profile and create a new one.

If you get a new headset, get a Microsoft USB one... it's what I have... it "works a treat" 🙂

Edited by byork

Sorry to seem to harp on about "Select", it's just that something has happened in Speech Recognition in the year (?) or so since I used it.  Saying "Select" in Dictation now selects the previous word for editing rather than entering the word "Select" into the text.  That's new as far as I know and makes it impossible to dictate the word.

I don't know whether you have your own speech recognition engine or if you use the MS one behind the scenes.  Either way, Speech Recognition is always off when I use FS2Crew.

I've done the new profile and will have another try on Monday.

ngxu_banner.png

On 3/6/2020 at 2:58 AM, ailchim said:

I don't mean the FO responding.

Do you see "Select Command A" in the green bar?

No I'm not.  The problem is with the words "Select" and "Set". 

I've ordered a new headset which should be here tomorrow so I'll start a new profile with that!

ngxu_banner.png

8 hours ago, ailchim said:

No I'm not.  The problem is with the words "Select" and "Set". 

I've ordered a new headset which should be here tomorrow so I'll start a new profile with that!

That'll probably solve it 🙂

Well I now have a MS USB headset as per your recommendation and that in itself is great, much better than what I had before.  I've done the speech training with it in a new profile and that's now the default.

The FS2Crew pre-takeoff flow is working close to perfectly and so are the checklists.  Once in the air I can get him to "Set" items on the MCP like "Set Flight Level 270" but he will not Select anything and the Green Bar still isn't recognising the word at all.  

I'm stuck.

ngxu_banner.png

Well the two that I noticed it with are "Select VNAV" and then "Select Command A" because those are the two I'd use after take-off when switching from manual flying to autopilot.  Once the autopilot is engaged, I handle the MCP myself, which I believe is the right protocol. 

The point is though that I can't get the green bar to recognize any "Select" commands or even the word "Select" on it's own. 

I used to have trouble with "Altimeter" i.e. ( UK al-tee-meter, US al-timm -eter) but "Select" isn't the most difficult word to pronounce so I don't know what I'm doing wrong and it must be me if no other UK user is having the same problem.  I will say again though, are you using the MS Voice Recognition engine behind the scenes, because something there has changed.  Now when I say "Select" in Dictation, it actually selects the last phrase I uttered, as you can see.  In other words, it's a Speech Recognition command.  It didn't use to do that as far as I remember. 

For the avoidance of doubt, Speech Recognition is always OFF when I use FS2Crew.

select-2.png

Edited by ailchim

ngxu_banner.png

I don't know... that's truly I mystery why you have such a problem with "Select XXX" but not the other phrases.

I just tested it... I said "selected command a", and it showed up in the green bar perfectly.  No problem on my side.

We do use SAPI, which is the Microsoft Speech Recognition API.

Ensure you say "Select command A" as a smooth single phrase.... don't try pausing between breathes while speaking it.

Remind me... when you started using your new USB headset, did you delete your profile in speech recognition, create a new one, then retrain your voice?  You should.

Yes I did.  And as I say, the checklists are working really well.

To be clear what that picture means, I can't dictate the word "Select" in Dictation (which I assume is SAPI) because if I do, it interprets it as an editing command and literally "selects" the last phrase I spoke: i.e.. "this happens".    There are more speech settings littered the latest versions of Windows, including a separate page for Cortana (which I don't use). Speech Recognition is off but I'm still suspicious MS have added something that's intruding into FS2Crew.

ngxu_banner.png