Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Hows that Nvidia Frame limiter working out?

Yeah Agreed.

I wouldn't use an affinity mask or install in program files and I never run without Admin, if I don't know how to.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

It's a bit like football supporters. Even though both sides might be top international athletes, the other side's fans say your guys can't kick a ball straight, 😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Avidean said:

If I understand correctly. Restore NCP Manage 3D Setting to Default. Then reapply the Frame Rate Limiter to Prepar3D.exe

Anyway, did that. Still getting mid 50's with test scenario in P3D

It's 'merely' a precaution that makes sure to start with a known setup before the software makes changes. It's not a means to fix any kind of issue.

...regarding the FSL I haven't got it installed just now but I remember there was a way to manually adjust it so the popup doesn't interfere. I don't want AM0 on my 18 core+HT, With HT disabled that's not so bad, but without HT enabled I don't achieve the high fill-in rates.

Edited by SteveW

Does not work for me at all with using 2D ND etc on another screen

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

It's fairly new to NCP so maybe there's some things to iron out of the equation yet, to produce more even results across PCs and screen types that handle vsync differently and multiple displays and DP and hdmi cables may play a part too. In the older days the old profile inspector half vsync type settings didn't work on a desktop window.

Works perfectly for me. 30 fps and rock solid performance. No stuttering that was not already in the sim, i.e. Orbx SOCAL flying over LAX still hammers my system. I need the Cray Shasta for that area. 

When setting up a key to the sequence is using no limit, no vsync settings in or out of the sim. Then with unlimited on the slider in P3D Display settings, this lets the sim free run. We can find the capacity of the fps that way. The sim performs two main functions fill-in, and fps. Having setting where fill-in is too demanding will bring the stutter. Setting VSync on an fps capacity that is already too low will introduce stutter. With adaptive settings in NCP that's going to be non synced and show as shifted areas in the scene.

Another thing to try is the locked setting on the slider, try 20 or 24 with heavy detail settings. The locked setting is better handled on recent cards as they have massive fast buffers.

I had tried it. It works perfectly but I encountered late autogen loading during descent. For me, it is not as efficient as the P3D internal frame rate limiter, the one with whom I always have the autogen fully loaded during the whole flight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When using the internal frame lock the VSync On/Off makes a difference so they should be tried. I generally use 20 or 24 locked on the 60Hz monitor with VSync Off.

Just wanted to chime in here about something regarding frame rates which is very important to a lot of people in our community, and maybe it should be for most of us.

A frame rate of 30fps (actually it's 29.97fps) is as close to one minute of sim time being equal to one minute of real time as I think we can get. When you system deviates from that (so anything under or over 30fps) you can cause a lot of problems for online pilots and controllers, especially during events and group flights.  You online guys have seen this, though you may have thought it was simply someone using X-Plane (the bane of all online flight simmers), someone with a different weather engine or not using one at all, but often times it's just the frame rate.  

If you're not familiar with how this plays out... 

Assume Aircraft A and Aircraft B are flying the same flight plan, the same speed and altitude, and the same aircraft (thus the same ground speed), and they both have the exact same weather engines and weather.  Aircraft B starts in trail of Aircraft A by 20 miles.  But for some inexplicable reason, Aircraft B is over taking Aircraft A, and it becomes problematic for everyone especially as the aircraft being to approach an arrival or approach.  The reason?  The difference in frame rates.

Anyway, 30fps (29.97) is the optimal frame rate for flying cooperatively, and since I used the term "cooperatively" I'd like to say that I wish we as a community still referred to flying online with others as "cooperative flight" and that we taught people what that means and the part they play in it.  Alas we are today mostly a collective of individuals who don't care much for anyone else (sad, but I'm not speculating when I say that), so maybe I'm just howling at the moon by sharing this, I don't know.

Flight simulation is not a first person shooter, and pumping your frame rates just as high as you can get them is not advantageous in any respect and does in fact serve to take life off of a lot of systems (relative to how hard you push things and the cooling, of course).  In the end, 30fps is the mark you most of us want to hit.

Don't care about what happens online?  Fair enough!  There are other reasons for why running at 30fps is beneficial to flight simmers, ones that go beyond fuel planning, fuel burn and fuel checks (for those who know what those are).  Often times those who push for a higher frame rate will suffer from micro-stutters, ones that most people can't easily detect given that it's usually done visually.  Moreover, pushing one's system harder for the length of time of a flight without some really awesome cooling can take life of your system and lead to other issues.  Yes, of course, this is dependent on many different things so it's pretty variable, but it does happen.  

Something else... and for those (like me) who have worked computer hardware engineering you'll recognize that the following analogy is far from perfect, but for the sake of argument let me say that running a flight sim computer at the maximum sustained rate (without micro-stutters) can cause pauses when scenery loads simply because there isn't enough CPU/GPU processor overhead remaining when those large groups of scenery textures have to be loaded (like on approach).  But if you were to run at 30fps instead of 40 or 60fps, you likely wouldn't hardly notice the load at all (again, depends on the system and settings).  Think of driving a regular, non-high performance car just about as fast as you can without it causing damage to the car... and all of a sudden you need to drive it faster so you push down a little further on the accelerator and hardly anything happens - because you don't have much (if any) power in reserve.

Setting your system to run at 30fps can be your own little slice of flight sim nirvana, and if you venture online it can lead to a much better experience for you and everyone else.  If this can help me (and you) avoid getting vectored by a online controller who either isn't paying attention or is simply woefully word not allowed and makes a snap decision because two aircraft are, for no intelligent reason, right on top of one another, then I'll consider the time writing this well spent.  For those who might offer that a controller could instead simply slow down the offending frame rate eating aircraft... you're not only placing increased burden on someone who likely not a real controller but also extending a lot of faith that they intelligent and/or trained enough to know all this AND they have time to handle such issues.  In other words, let's not push the problem off on someone else when we can easily fix it ourselves.

Best wishes to everyone!

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Wells said. The problem is the varying nature of the frame rate. So long as fps remains consistent in-sim timings remain. The times between PCs are the same irrespective of one at 20 and another at 24, so long as they remain consistent. On a P3D multi-session setup, that adheres to the slowest fps.

...to give a an example; a user set to 59.94 and remaining consistent, would appear no different to one set at 29.97. Some software using the frame rate event in SImConnect might put a particular system at fault leading to online problems

• Like 1