Sign in to follow this  
TASCHMANN

Any chance of a refund on the abandoned Wing42 Vega?

I do not know anything about this developer so I am not saying anything negative here.

But I wish all buyers of Flightsim Products would vet developers properly.

These are the guidelines I follow

1) See their website - is it properly made (quality speaks volume here)

2) Support!!! Support!!! Support!!! how good is it.  Is the developer usually communicative prior to buying the products.  It is a business after all, developers got to make money also; but we are paying for support

3) How good are the reviews about their install file structure etc for example following new guidelines of Prepar3d's install method etc or doing the FSX way ETC? ask questions

4) How does their product fare with the competition.  A2A, PMDG, FSLabs have raised the bar.  One has to understand this. For example I compare all GA with A2A level quality.  If it doesn't pass the test, I skip and same goes with complex birds (this is just me)

5) Pictures can all be great but everything changes when the product doesn't perform on what you expect.

6) Do developers complain a lot and blame the user etc.  One has to understand the flags before purchase.

7) Early Access always has risk.  Understanding and defining what your risk tolerance is?

Once the money is spent - it is gone lol

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

On 3/23/2020 at 3:23 AM, kingm56 said:

Apple--to-jeep comparison; Level D never took your money with the promise of finishing the product.  In the software business, products get announced all the time that never come to fruition.  It's part of the business 

If you're looking for the poster child for abandoning it's alpha release, it's probably Airsimmer; although, BlackBox isn't far behind.  In fact, coupled with the shenanigans they pulled as PSS, they're probably worse...

It was more that level D spent years getting angry on the forums when people asked if the 757 was ever coming. Those people were right to be sceptical!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

It was more that level D spent years getting angry on the forums when people asked if the 757 was ever coming. Those people were right to be sceptical!

What does the Level-D 757 have to do with Wing42 failure to complete their product?  The latter was actually sold to the public while the former was only announced.  To that point, I fail to see the correlation between Level-D and Wing42 efforts; the latter was actually the focus of this thread. In short, what does Level-D failures have to do with Wing42?  Finally, you do realize a Level-D developer passed away, right?  This comparison/rationale is just bizarre.  If you're referring to the Level D 757, allow me to end the skepticism...it's not coming to P3D.  

Edited by kingm56

Matt King

On 11/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, Skywolf said:

I do not know anything about this developer so I am not saying anything negative here.

But I wish all buyers of Flightsim Products would vet developers properly.

These are the guidelines I follow

1) See their website - is it properly made (quality speaks volume here)

2) Support!!! Support!!! Support!!! how good is it.  Is the developer usually communicative prior to buying the products.  It is a business after all, developers got to make money also; but we are paying for support

3) How good are the reviews about their install file structure etc for example following new guidelines of Prepar3d's install method etc or doing the FSX way ETC? ask questions

4) How does their product fare with the competition.  A2A, PMDG, FSLabs have raised the bar.  One has to understand this. For example I compare all GA with A2A level quality.  If it doesn't pass the test, I skip and same goes with complex birds (this is just me)

5) Pictures can all be great but everything changes when the product doesn't perform on what you expect.

6) Do developers complain a lot and blame the user etc.  One has to understand the flags before purchase.

7) Early Access always has risk.  Understanding and defining what your risk tolerance is?

Solid advice, sky...and well stated!

• Like 1

Matt King

7 hours ago, kingm56 said:

What does the Level-D 757 have to do with Wing42 failure to complete their product?  The latter was actually sold to the public while the former was only announced.  To that point, I fail to see the correlation between Level-D and Wing42 efforts; the latter was actually the focus of this thread. In short, what does Level-D failures have to do with Wing42?  Finally, you do realize a Level-D developer passed away, right?  This comparison/rationale is just bizarre.  If you're referring to the Level D 757, allow me to end the skepticism...it's not coming to P3D.  

I didn’t raise the issues relating to the level D 757, i was responding to others who did. 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Last year I promised to keep the community informed about the progress of this so-called "early access" addon for which many paid over $40.00.

This is the explanation offered at Vitus's own Wing42 website:

By the time Microsoft announced Microsoft Flight Simulator in 2019, the P3D/FSX Vega was already helplessly delayed. The reason for the delay is manifold and I wrote quite a bit about the struggle in our development blog. The problem was that with the MSFS announcement, sales for the Early Access Vega plummeted to virtually nothing. And in order for Wing42 to survive, money needs to be made. That’s why I made the decision to go full in with MSFS.

In other words, its far more profitable for me to work on something new than to deliver what I promised over three years ago.

The community needs to be aware of the business ethics of "fly-by-night" developers like this in order to avoid them in the future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/2/2020 at 6:14 PM, Skywolf said:

give me an example please of say 3 early access (pay to beta)  products in the flightsim community that has gone on to be a 100% completed polished product and ill give you 10 that havent.  I can even give you some xplane ones too.

In my opinion its single handlily the worst thing ever to hit this community in the last 15 years. 

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

On 11/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, Skywolf said:

This.  Don't spend a penny on Early Access unless you 100% wouldn't mind if the product you get is all you will ever get, and you wouldn't mind at all if the developer decides 5 minutes later to walk away from the project with all that money.  The allure of Early Access is for customers to get this, in any condition, right now.  It is icing on the cake if the product actually gets completed as intended by the developer.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

3 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

In my opinion its single handlily the worst thing ever to hit this community in the last 15 years. 

Absolutely!   Your opinion is shared by many, many others.