Sign in to follow this  
ark

Install Warning!

We have learned the hard way that installing an aircraft with anti-virus or anti-malware software active can sometimes lead to strange problems. So if things are not working as expected, try uninstalling the a/c and then temporarily disabling any  'protection software' before updating or reinstalling the aircraft.

Al

Edited by ark

I use Windows Security.  When I temporarily turn off my security to download and install software, I usually just turn off "Real-Time protection" in windows 10 settings.  Is that enough, or are there other things I should be shutting down?

Bob Bressert

17 minutes ago, bobterri said:

I use Windows Security.  When I temporarily turn off my security to download and install software, I usually just turn off "Real-Time protection" in windows 10 settings.  Is that enough, or are there other things I should be shutting down?

If you don't have any third party anti-virus or anti-malware software (e.g., Norton or Malwarebytes, etc) then I would think turning off Windows Defender, which I assume is what you are using, is sufficient. Bottom line is if your install works OK, then you are done. If the install has problems then uninstall, turn off any 'protection or security software', reinstall and then turn your security software back on and see if the installed a/c works as it should.

Al

I just bought Falcon. I downloaded the file. when I opened it to install my virus checker said it was a virus. so I disabled my anti virus and installed again. The installer seems to hang before it does anything. I clicked on the install icon and I got a pop up error message. irsetup Invalid start mode: archive filename

Any ideas what to do now?

8 minutes ago, colinm44 said:

I just bought Falcon. I downloaded the file. when I opened it to install my virus checker said it was a virus. so I disabled my anti virus and installed again. The installer seems to hang before it does anything. I clicked on the install icon and I got a pop up error message. irsetup Invalid start mode: archive filename

Any ideas what to do now?

What sim or sims are you trying to install into?

Al

Im installing into P3dv4.5 HF3, Windows 10. Im using Sophos Anti Virus which is turned off at the moment. 

I have downloaded the file again and the same thing. It starts installing for a split second then says Not Responding. In task manager cpu is 13%, Memory is 10Mb everything else is zero. next to the app name it says Not Responding. Im assuming it puts the setup files into appdata/loacal/temp where irsetup runs.

Thank you for replying to me.

Meanwhile, in other posts ...... this exact practice of having to turn off AV has caused problems. Ideally, the developer should contact who they need to, to get the Problem solved, and , respectfully, not dump the problem in the customers lap.

..this is absolutely no disrespect to flysimware, it’s a problem all over, seen many times within our hobby from many developers. 

at the end of the day, we’ve all dropped some serious cash on our systems to enjoy our hobby...my rig was just shy of 3k...and my AV is a some what insurance against that 3k going down the drain..

Would you drive around uninsured?

No malice intended, purely discussion guys, don’t shoot me..👍😁

Luke Pype

I absolutely agree with you. I probably have the same invested, maybe a bit more, this is the first time out of the dozens of add ons that I have run into this issue. I am not impressed. I wouldnt feel so bad if Id caught the Easter 40% off sale.

1 hour ago, MaDDogz said:

Meanwhile, in other posts ...... this exact practice of having to turn off AV has caused problems.

I think it very unlikely that turning off anti-virus for a few minutes would lead to a problem. And as you implied, almost every developer of aircraft or other add-ons recommends this. The reason is there is simply no way a developer can adjust for the vagaries of every anti-virus program out there. They are all different. Regardless, anti-virus has been a very rare issue with Flysimware. This is only the second case I know of where there has been a problem. And in this case, turning off anti-virus didn't solve the problem so apparently something else is going on. Flysimware put together a new installer recently in response to P3Dv5, but this is the first time a potential problem has been reported with that installer, so it is not clear what the issue is. However, there could be a problem with the installer, and I will bring this to the attention of Mark at FSW so he can look into it.

If anyone else has experienced problems with the latest FSW installer, please report that here.

Thx,

Al

Edited by ark

36 minutes ago, colinm44 said:

I have downloaded the file again and the same thing. It starts installing for a split second then says Not Responding. In task manager cpu is 13%, Memory is 10Mb everything else is zero. next to the app name it says Not Responding. Im assuming it puts the setup files into appdata/loacal/temp where irsetup runs.

In case you haven't done so, before trying to reinstall check to see if any files have been installed in the location into which you were trying to install the Falcon, and delete them if any are present. Also check in the Win10 control panel/Programs and features to see if Win10 thinks the install took place (look for FLYSIMWARE's Falcon 50 P3DV4.5). If so, try to uninstall if possible.

As mentioned above, I will try to contact Mark at FSW to see if he has any other thoughts.

Al

The installation did not start. It said initializing then hung. I have a feeling that it maybe looking for the sim

9 minutes ago, colinm44 said:

the installation crashes on irsetup

OK, I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the installer, so let's see what Mark thinks.

It it might help Mark if you could take a screen shot of any error messages and post the shot here.

If anyone else has some ideas please post here.

Al

Edited by ark