Sign in to follow this  
JAS8472

No frayed clouds?

Hi :)

the clouds in FS2020 look really cool, also the atmosphere and so on.... but:   

haven't seen anything like frayed clouds on the videos or alpha screenshots... has anyone here? 

I'm often in Washington state and, especially with the mountains and windy weather, you get really great looking, dynamic frayed clouds....always looks amazing

examples: https://pasteboard.co/J2oAkYg.png

https://pasteboard.co/J2oAVOH.png

https://pasteboard.co/J2oB8FM.png

Maybe somebody here knows an alpha-participant who could confirm that there will be only the "puffy"-type clouds in FS2020 (okay, the stratus do look good as well :) )?

• Upvote 1

The Alpha testers can not comment on the Alpha.

But I hope they are still working on the clouds.  Many look great.  But some look dark, as if the shadows are overdone.  And the patchy clouds, look to regular, too repetitive.  And there are cloud types we haven't seen.  I realize some of these are hard to judge based on photos.  But it doesn't account for all the cloud issues.  And I will repeat, many look good, and the latest batch looks better than prior ones.  Still missing cloud types though.

@ludekbrno I have seen the video before, and it shows basically just cumulus clouds (or upper layer, very thin cumulus clouds, like stratocumulus) .... nowhere any cirrus or really frayed out ones 😕

@GlideBy No off course not, but a friend of an alpha tester could comment that he might have seen these type of clouds at someones PC which might have run FS2020 😉   

I'm a frayed knot.

Sorry, couldn't resist. 😃

• Like 2

Barry Friedman

I've seen some tremendous cloudscapes in what Ive been shown but there times when I think they could be better.  It may come down to performance.  It may be that the developers haven't hit on the code that creates the looks that we want to see -- like high level feather cirrus or cumulus with seriously windblown edges.

I was wondering yesterday if the whitecaps on the ocean were created with shaders -- maybe that code could be repurposed to create a shredded cloud look?

But I am perfectly OK with what Ive seen.  My main hope is that I stop seeing well formed cumulus that are dim/ashy/yellowish when they should be bright white/light purple/pinkish/bright light blue.(imo)

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Clouds look fantastic to me, I'll take them the way they are and enjoy the upgrade over FSX. 😊

Ken

I remember there was a "fuzziness" setting in the weather which may fix the clouds.  I'm not a fan of fuzzy cloud myself.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;