Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

FsElite Youtube Stream P3D V5 Night Lighting

It's always funny when people look at aerial/satellite images and say that they look unrealistic. Just because they don't look like the repeating Orbx textures and landclass that we're used to I guess.

Everyone knows that in real life, there are lots of bridges that leads to nowhere and cars that just disappear when reaching a certain point and that every single street light looks exactly the same, lots of light bulbs just floating around randomly and houses that are built partly on ground and partly floats in the air. Anything else is totally unrealistic.

It's supposed to be like this, it's up to the 3rd party developers to fix it, some may say. But what happens if it's the best of breed 3rd party developers that actually cause these kind of problems? It's like a paradox.

Edited by tolip2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, tolip2 said:

Anything else is totally unrealistic.

It appears that not only do you have no liking for Orbx but also you are prepared to assign the cause of all the drawbacks of using landclass scenery to them. In the light of such strong feelings, one wonders why you continue to use Orbx and that if you do not, why you would need to be "picking up the dust from the latest Orbx Central upgrade meltdown", or even making this comment.

1 hour ago, Reader said:

It appears that not only do you have no liking for Orbx but also you are prepared to assign the cause of all the drawbacks of using landclass scenery to them. In the light of such strong feelings, one wonders why you continue to use Orbx and that if you do not, why you would need to be "picking up the dust from the latest Orbx Central upgrade meltdown", or even making this comment.

Because they do some really good stuff that is much better than default. However, there are also many bugs and issues in there. This would be perfectly fine if they actually fixed it, but they don't. And LM don't. The problem is we've had these issues for so long now that we've come to accept that that's just how it is. Noone cares about things like disappearing cars or floating buildings. Anyone mentioning these FS9 type bugs will get several offensive responses like "that's just the way it is" or "it can't be fixed". I'm not just talking Orbx here but P3D in general. I don't think that attitude will bring us forward.

I think these issues should be fixed once and for all instead of accepting and defending them, that's why i made the comment. I also think that it's unfair that when other developers finally step up and redesign things from scratch, the very same people who defend the FS9 bugs will criticize every single part of the new engine. Like the street lights being slightly too red.

Edited by tolip2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, GSalden said:

3rd party developers can jump in to make like every summer wants it.  

I can't wait to see v5 night lighting in Tulsa, Ningbo, Marseilles or Montevideo . Do you already have any screenshot to share in v4 ?

3PD can "jump  in to make like every summer wants it". but they won't, A good example is Orbx which is rehashing again and again and again the same regions.

The paradigm : barebone platform+addons does not address the need of people flying outside the UK, the West Coast+ Florida or NL. And won't anytime soon. Ask Venema when he is going to release a TE for the Philippines*.  This paradigm is near its end life. And I mean the paradigm not Prepared. I think that the smart LM team will see soon enough that they have to move their behind in the same direction Asobo has taken. 

And if Orbx TE is the best that a 3PD can do  with the barebone platform, imagine what they could do, nay will do when the starting point is the superb night lighting we see in FS20 instead of the awful stuff we see in the video. 

Negativity ? No, sir. I have always said and still say that I am happy to have a major defense contractor in the hobby. But time are achangin'.

Now this thread is about scenery but we could say the same about aircraft and flight modeling. About weather etc. 

* Look how nice I am, I didn't even speak of Japan

Edited by domkle
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 minutes ago, domkle said:

3PD can "jump  in to make like every summer wants it". but they won't, A good example is Orbx which is rehashing again and again and again the same regions.

The paradigm : barebone platform+addons does not address the need of people flying outside the UK, the West Coast+ Florida or NL. And won't anytime soon. Ask Venema when he is going to release a TE for the Philippines.  This paradigm is near its end life.

This is a very strong argument indeed. Ask John Venema (or other devs) about Japan, Russia, South America, Africa regions. Even the discussion about OpenLC Asia is perpetually going ad infinitum. With some luck you will find (usually quite coarse-grained) landclass scenery without any POIs or landmarks for some of these areas. Japan, one of the most important industrial countries in the world, never had proper payware region coverage. Russia, you may like it or not, as one of the biggest and important countries in the world just got a coarse-grained landclass a few months ago by a Russian developer which is not bad but in no way compares to TE regions. TE South Africa would be very popular for sure, but no one even dares to ask.

All this is poor compared to the photo background which MSFS will provide for these regions and countries.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

7 hours ago, tolip2 said:

b0737a353cec61a4d79587c14dc4afca--olivia

The red street lighting could be, well, street lights that are red. Either that, or someone edited the aerial images to look red because they really like red.

Noted!  Yep..that's red...