Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

P3Dv5 - who will be the first?

WOW, This is a sim that is from LM is offered for simulation, training and learning only and not entertainment . This is poppycock. This company would not stay in business if it wasn't for the entertainment of the flight sim enthusiast. I could bet if the income from the entertainment flightsim community including my self was much more than the training community.   I feel and this is my opinion that  this company knew that we would jump on this sim from the start. I ask my fellow simmers to please forgive my ranting but because of this price we pay for this sim has elevated the price of almost every add-on we get a bunch and every time they upgrade we pay a bunch to keep up.  Thanks for listening!!

Paul McCullough

DDG39 lives on

Don't you think that flying a real life aircraft is also entertaining?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diehl said:

This company would not stay in business if it wasn't for the entertainment of the flight sim enthusiast.

Heh!! 😄 😄 😄

You do know that Prepar3d is not Lockheed Martin's only product, right? 😄 

Hook

• Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

19 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Heh!! 😄 😄 😄

Hook

You do know they are a military contractor. Just me they are going to do just fine. 

14ppkc-6.png

On 4/14/2020 at 9:50 PM, breakinghbts said:

Just installed, and setup my controls, etc. No orbx yet. Anyone who has had a chance to use it yet, have any issues with mouse as yoke? Mine is permanently stock on. And it also jumps the mouse when I right click. Other than that, it looks nice, my home airport was updated which is great. But now theres a giant square in the middle of the bay. I installed freemesh, didn't solve it.

Sky and clouds look awesome tho!

-Tony@PVD

edit: guess the mouse issue was advanced mouse control setting. Don't recall this in v4? But maybe I overlooked it.

I have all my Global and OpenLC installed with 0 issues. V5 doesn't need Vector apparently. I even got PMDG 777-200 working too! I use CH Yoke and Rudders with no problems. I tried an approach into KPDX (Flightbeam) which all looked visually appealing. When I put the nose down however, it kinda smashed down hard into the runway. I'm not sure if it was an elevation issue. But nonetheless,  I'm enjoying it so far.

8 hours ago, LHookins said:

Heh!! 😄 😄 😄

They probably make more money selling a replacement nav light bulb for an F22 than they do selling a license for P3D.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

LM's individual divisions and offices all have to contribute or the whole company would suffer. The simulation group in Orlando can't be running at a giant deficit any more than any other part of the company can. Selling P3d5 licenses grants a lot more flexibility to the simulation group to experiment and refine not only P3d but also other products. MS probably would have kept ACES had they continued to bring in lots of cash. And MS will dump Asobo as a partner in a second if MSFS flops.

2 hours ago, regis9 said:

They probably make more money selling a replacement nav light bulb for an F22 than they do selling a license for P3D.

I was thinking that Lockheed Martin has made more on the sale of one modern jet fighter aircraft than they've made on all copies of P3D together from the first version 1.

Ok, that's an exaggeration.  It took two fighter aircraft. 😄

Hook

Larry Hookins

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

LM's individual divisions and offices all have to contribute or the whole company would suffer. The simulation group in Orlando can't be running at a giant deficit any more than any other part of the company can.

It wouldn't surprise me if Prepar3D is a loss leader for LM.  Or a goodwill gesture.  As long as it helps make a lot more money for another division, it doesn't matter much how much it makes... or loses.

Hook

Larry Hookins

11 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

You do know they are a military contractor. Just me they are going to do just fine. 

My saying that P3D wasn't LM's only product was an example of extreme understatement. 

I assume you intended to quote the poster I was quoting in that message.

Hook

Larry Hookins

15 minutes ago, LHookins said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Prepar3D is a loss leader for LM.  Or a goodwill gesture.  As long as it helps make a lot more money for another division, it doesn't matter much how much it makes... or loses.

Hook

It would surprise me if it lost money. There's no way for us to know how many copies of P3d have been sold, but the LM official forum has ~125,000 users. BTW, John Venema of ORBX is user #10.

LM is the biggest military armaments company in the world. They also build the super carriers of the Nimitz class in their shipyards and the nuclear submarines of the US. And one big portion and future business is building military drones. P3D development is also a kind of R&D division to train military personal not only in remote flying, but also in multirole mission simulation. That´s why it´s even possible to go underwater in P3D. Remoting Drones but also multirole fighters for bombing missions is an important future preparation. The brand "Prepared" has not only the meaning for flight students to be, it´s also the meaning of being prepared for future warfare. 

You can call me devilish, but honestly i´am a little bit proud to have this nice peace of military tec on my harddrive...😉

...is the Chairman of LM not this guy whos flying around in an golden-red iron suit to save the world…?! 🤫😁

Edited by BerndB
  • Like 2

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

On 4/14/2020 at 11:14 PM, mpo910 said:

Well:

I will be very clear on this!

This is the worst version I have ever seen. The looks/visuals are horrible.

• With "default" atmospherics "nothing" changed
  • With TrueSky there are several issues regarding light, coulds up to the horizon looks like a flat "plank" which is slightly rising up to the horizon. They don´t follow the "globe". The truesky implementation is very bad done. Not even working in VR at all. But also in 2D just horrible
  • The terrain colors look awfull as always
  • The Water looks horrible. Just big waves everywhere. Also the rivers have just as big waves as the ocean. Water looks black. The reflection are bad done too.
  • The cockpit in VR looks huge...this ay be a point of getting used to
  • Performance seems ok. Did not enough testing to make a statement
  • The "sun" is way to small, also in Truesky. Nothing changed
  • Stars are way to big....nothing changed.Also in TrueSky
  • Reflection on planes look nice
  • PBR in Cockpit also very nice (F22)

But honestly I have a very bad taste that they did rush out the new sim. This i very disaapointing. I wished they did at least the nvidia wavework 2.0 at a good decent standard like the new trueSky. But they are just.....well.....silly and worse implemented.

Wow....that I did really not expected. 

Other opinions?

Holy word not allowed! What is this? A joke? This was the worst so called "update" I have ever seen! Its like reverting back to a "pimped" FS2004!