Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Chasing Stuttering Red Herrings...and then Eureka!

4 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

My target framerate setting is Unlimited, but I have VSync disabled. My monitor is not capable of a 30Hz refresh rate, and there is no way that I can keep framerates above 30fps everywhere with the detail settings that I use in the simulator.

At least on my end, it works as good if you use a straight divisor of your monitor refresh rate. In my case, I have P3D limited to 30FPS and the monitor runs at 120Hz and this is as smooth as with 30Hz, but less headache...

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I can’t believe in this modern era, that people even contemplate suggesting using 30HZ or 30FPS and proclaim its smooth. It’s very well may be smooth but, it’s just headache inducing. Especially using track IR or a decent G-Sync monitor. 
The minimum hertz I’m willing  to go is 60 and that’s bad enough. Never mind ANYTHING below 30fps. 

You easily mix Hz and FPS here... I agree, running a monitor at 30Hz would hurt my eyes as well. But limiting the simulator to 30FPS for the sake of smoothness and good compromise between visual quality and FPS, is totally fine. I would never play any shooter or even a rpg like The Witcher with only 30FPS, but for my flight profiles in the sim (mostly IFR with tubeliners or slow and low GA planes), it is fine. Especially because I prefer 99% constant 30FPS over 45FPS with variations from 30 up to 100FPS. THIS then is stuttery and not smooth, although the average FPS number might be way above 30FPS.

• Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

13 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I can’t believe in this modern era, that people even contemplate suggesting using 30HZ or 30FPS and proclaim its smooth. It’s very well may be smooth but, it’s just headache inducing. Especially using track IR or a decent G-Sync monitor. 
The minimum hertz I’m willing  to go is 60 and that’s bad enough. Never mind ANYTHING below 30fps. 

Believe it--it's fluid smooth, and what do you know, no hint of a headache now for the past 6 years on this, so this might apply to you  and some others but certainly not here.  And that is no wonder we've all been viewing movies for years at home and in theaters and the native frame rate in theaters is 24fps and somehow after all of these years in the modern era people leave theaters w/o headache.  I understand realtime 3D animation is a different animal than video capture, but the projected frames per second is what it is, which in movies theaters is 24fps.  Flight sims are so SLOW compared to shooters you can easily get away with 30fps when it's fluid smooth, unless you're prone to headaches apparently.

• Upvote 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

9 minutes ago, Noel said:

Believe it--it's fluid smooth, and what do you know, no hint of a headache now for the past 6 years on this, so this might apply to you  and some others but certainly not here.  And that is no wonder we've all been viewing movies for years at home and in theaters and the native frame rate in theaters is 24fps and somehow after all of these years in the modern era people leave theaters w/o headache.  I understand realtime 3D animation is a different animal than video capture, but the projected frames per second is what it is, which in movies theaters is 24fps.  Flight sims are so SLOW compared to shooters you can easily get away with 30fps when it's fluid smooth, unless you're prone to headaches apparently.

TrackIR is a different beast. 30Hz is just not sufficient. Imagine situations in the sim when you pan around very quickly, like doing a steep turn in the air or even better, when taxiing and turning like 90° pretty quickly.. the image becomes a little fuzzy... well, with TrackIR you have this kind of a situation all the time, because ones head just isn't still for very long. Without TrackIR, basically half of the screen is pretty still most of the times, when flying straight there's very little movement etc. With TrackIR the image is moving constantly. That's why the fluidity is important and it's just not good enough at 30Hz. That's why I tolerate occasional stutter but the overall experience is much better at 60Hz.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/23/2020 at 10:32 AM, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Not with TrackIR. Using TrackIR with 30Hz is not fluid at all. 

How so? Explain. I have a 4K Samsung monitor set to 30Hz driven by a RTX2080Ti, TrackIR5 and Chaseplane and don't notice any appreciable stuttering or lag. I do use TrackIR5 in precision mode though cuz my head tends to wander. P3Dv4.5.14.

• Upvote 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

42 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

I do use TrackIR5 in precision mode though cuz my head tends to wander.

Mine too! But that’s a whole different topic...

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

4 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

How so? Explain. I have a 4K Samsung monitor set to 30Hz driven by a RTX2080Ti, TrackIR5 and Chaseplane and don't notice any appreciable stuttering or lag. I do use TrackIR5 in precision mode though cuz my head tends to wander. P3Dv4.5.14.

I don't have a 4K monitor. Maybe that's the difference.

Anyone tried dropping their refresh to 50 Hz(european). Would of course have a system that can maintain it but 50 is easier to attain than 60....

18 hours ago, somiller said:

I never said the GPU was magically generating new unique frames twice as fast...I said the monitor will refresh twice for each frame generated by the gpu. GPU outputting 30 fps; monitor refreshes each frame twice@60Hz. Sorry for you that it doesn't work on your system, but fps factoring has been a function of Gsync for at least a couple of years, so maybe you have an older Gsync monitor.

Nope, my Alienware monitor is quite new. And what you are describing with repeating frames to maintain refresh rate sounds like the behavior of conventional Vsync, which is what I understood Gsync to default to if frames drop below 30.

Anyway, I have no interest in locking my frames to 30 when I am now able to run stutter-free at higher framerates with the setting the OP suggested and Gsync enabled.

Edited by PurdueKev

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5