Sign in to follow this  
Sea2Sky

P3D5 main window with second display blacking out?

@Rob_Ainscough it is easier with the screenshots indeed!

There are interesting points: LM is not reporting the correct resolution. This could be a factor making it fail at some point because it doesn't know which resolution to display with.

But also interesting and worth checking is that the 3 displays are not using the same refresh rate. One is 30Hz and the other 2 are 60Hz. Is there a way you could put them all to 60hz or all to 30hz and cross-check whether this is a factor?

in addition, the smaller (Lenovo 600x800) is using a 'custom' setting with Nvidia color settings instead of the default color settings. Could this be a factor?

What about disconnecting the Lenovo 600x800 and compare how it goes with 2 screens only?

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

41 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

With a single monitor/display:

1.  Load A2A 182 (have it configured to run RXP 750)

2.  Create RXP 750 window, undock it 

3.  Create RXP 530 window, undock it ... get a black window

This is ALL you need to do to replicate the problem.  You don't need multiple displays, can be replicated with a single monitor.  

Thank you for a simpler test case. I'll try this one out and report back later once done.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

@Rob_Ainscough I've just tried with

• P3D4.5HF3 and P3D5HF1.
  • using combinations of GTN1/GNS2 and GTN2/GNS1.
  • Trying maximized, or full screen.
  • Trying none, 1, or 2 undocked windows (in any combination).
  • All this on a single monitor.

Conclusion: I can't repro at all, and I can't trace any glitch nor view any artifact.

The only 'glitch' I've noticed is

• on P3D4.5HF3 (need to compare with P3D5HF1)
  • in full screen (ALT+ENTER), undocked window (displaying without a title bar therefore - expected - unlike in maximized main window where the undocked windows do have title bars)
  • using the 'auto-resize' feature (SHIFT + Left Click bezel top edge), the gauge is receiving a double scale down or a double scale up leading to a, for example, 1/4 working gauge displaying over 1/1 static picture of the gauge last displaying.

When this is happening, just moving the gauge 1 pixel makes P3D refreshing the gauge properly.

This lead me to suspect there is something broken in 4.5 and 5.0 between their handling of the windows and how they send events to the gauges. It is not something which is affecting normal use but nonetheless, it is something which is not working like in previous versions since FS9.

Nevertheless these tests lead me to think there is something on your system which is making P3D4.5/5 not working right regarding the handling of the windows/rendering.

Do you by any chance use any form of a 'post processing' tool, like ReShade or similar?

At this stage, I'd rather say once you've eliminated all possibles, the remaining although improbable is most likely true...

Why not trying with a stock basic simple aircraft instead of a 3rd party with all their custom coding, so that you'll eliminate this factor as well?

One thing is sure: any 3rd party shader IS interfering with the rendering and with the windows... be it 1st or 2nd it doesn't matter in this case.

Edited by RXP

@Rob_Ainscough this is good news!

This is helping refining the search to the root cause.

This is a great find! (I agree it will be greater once solved too!)

From the RXP gauges stand point there is nothing special at all with SimConnect because we're not using it at all, except for the RXP menu but this is a separate DLL (rxpGTN_menu.dll). 

Could it be they are monitoring window open/close for managing the popup windows in their aircraft and they're not explicitly handling these windows as 'undocked' type while SimConnect would require handling them differently?

Was this done using the A2A custom RXP config as a starting point?

What about using the A2A in default config but adding the 2 popup windows yourself and see whether they were expecting to handle the RXP popup windows via SimConnect in a specific way? With a default A2A config they wouldn't handle any RXP window and this will eliminate this as a factor.

Don't worry for the ping-pong, we're having good contacts with A2A and they stand behind their products like we do. They have all our products so they should be able to repro and trace the issue with their SimConnect code. If they don't they can always contact me.

This is interesting as if  you recall I have issues with the latest GNS update and the A2A C182.  The popup works fine, but the VC  GNS stays dark. Had not encountered the issue prior to the last update (April 18?).  I tried everything and just gave up.  Now use only my GTN variant of the A2A C182. The GTN works fine.  Also, the GNS and latest update work just perfectly in all other aircraft I use it in, including it works in the A2A PA24 Comanche.  That is the only other A2A model I own.

I described this in this topic:  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just an update regarding my original problem:

I have installed both P3D v4.5  and P3D v5, and the issue regarding the main flight window blacking out when the RealityXP pop up window is dragged outside of the main display is only an issue on P3D v5, and works fine on P3D v4.5.

This leads me to believe that it is either P3Dv5 or DX12 bug code as it can't be replicated on P3D v4.5. I think it's safe to say that I can rule out issues from an OS/system level.