Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

Moving P3dv4 control settings to P3dv5

I have just installed V5 and would like to copy my V4 Commands to V5 as I have changed the original V4 control commands settings since I installed V4.

Can anyone suggest a quick and easy way to do this? I have both v4 and v5 on the same PC but don't know where to find the controls in a transportable file. 

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

8 minutes ago, yellowjack said:

I have just installed V5 and would like to copy my V4 Commands to V5 as I have changed the original V4 control commands settings since I installed V4.

Can anyone suggest a quick and easy way to do this? I have both v4 and v5 on the same PC but don't know where to find the controls in a transportable file. 

Prepar3D V4\Controls\Standard.xml

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

If you have a saved preset you can find it on your Documents / Prepar3D v4 Files folder. It is a xml file.

I am looking for Key assignments primarily. The reasoning is that  I use a "Trusty Thrusty" (Thrustmaser Warthog) for my flight simming. When I first  installed P3Dv4 I still had FSX  installed on a separate PC but used my Thrustmaster on both sims in order to save effort I changed some Prep3d controls to be similar to FSX. Everything worked out fine. So if I can set my P3Dv5 controls to mirror the P3Dv4 controls I use I will be able to use a single Thrustmaster setup for both Prep3d 4 & 5.  

Thankyou for the advise I will sniff out some XML files and make it all happen. Said with fingers crossed.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

27 minutes ago, yellowjack said:

Thankyou for the advise I will sniff out some XML files and make it all happen. Said with fingers crossed.

Bert's reply above gives you your answer. All your keyboard and button assignments are in the "standard.xml" file.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am looking for Key assignments primarily. The reasoning is that  I use a "Trusty Thrusty" (Thrustmaser Warthog) for my flight simming. When I first  installed P3Dv4 I still had FSX  installed on a separate PC but used my Thrustmaster on both sims in order to save effort I changed some Prep3d controls to be similar to FSX. Everything worked out fine. So if I can set my P3Dv5 controls to mirror the P3Dv4 controls I use I will be able to use a single Thrustmaster setup for both Prep3d 4 & 5.  

Sorry Bert but where is that file likely to be stored. I can't find it by searching the Pred3dv4 folder or documents folder can you refine that for me a little please.

Edited by yellowjack

John

1 minute ago, yellowjack said:

C:\users\<your name>\appdata\roaming\Prepar3D V4\Controls\Standard.xml

not at my sim computer but that should be it.

• Like 1

-J

36 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

C:\users\<your name>\appdata\roaming\Prepar3D V4\Controls\Standard.xml

not at my sim computer but that should be it.

Lockheed Martin missing... but otherwise right on.

To the OP.. If you have trouble finding files, use the Search function :cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

You can also export your commands from v4 then import it to v5. 

qDIOWbS.jpg

@Twenty6

Did you remember to turn on "Hidden files"?

Edited by yellowjack

John

32 minutes ago, Benzhangar said:

qDIOWbS.jpg

Thanks that's a good find/reminder. 

John

1 hour ago, yellowjack said:

Did you remember to turn on "Hidden files"?

Yes. Easiest way to find the Appdata folder.

-J

23 hours ago, Benzhangar said:

qDIOWbS.jpg

Yeah, people keep pointing him to the "standard" controls xml, and that's not what I understand the question to be.  To transfer existing control assignments from v4 to v5, EXPORTING the settings to a file, then IMPORTING them to v5, will accomplish that.

My experience doing it has been that the process is a bit flakey, but it's the best way to get it done (fingers crossed).

• Like 1

I have some questions regarding this.  I've always in V4 Exported my presets to a file on my desktop per last post.  Then if something went wrong I would import them back.  Out of knowhere I've had issues with my saitek throttle and also with my xbox controller.  Despite "Re-importing" my saved control settings back into V5 it is not working properly.  For instance I only use the xbox controller for chaseplane.  But it keeps assigning flight control surfaces to the xbox controller.  The import does nothing to help so the last few starts I've had to completely re do them.  Do I also want to save the standard.xml to my desktop and then use it to replace the one in my appdata folder when things go wrong?  Also in the app data folder I noticed there is a standard.xml and a standard.smlx.  Is it normal to have both of these?

Question 2: Is there a way to save the sensitivity settings for each device also to import also? 

thanks guys 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next