Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Experiment for better performance

Over the last 3 days, I thought about a simple experiment to see if performance would change if I changed my video input.

I normally use HDMI on my 4k Lg 27" monitor and I've always been very pleased with the resolution and the performance.  With P3dv5, there have been many posts in this forum regarding using FFTF and tweaking frames from 30 to unlimited and adjusting all the sliders one way or another.  I do own FFTF Dynamic and I've been one of the simmers playing with its various settings (for which you need an academic course to fully understand all the possibilities of using it) to try to achieve the "Eureka moment".  Well, that still hasn't happened.

Two days ago, I plugged in a Display Port cable and unplugged my HDMI.  I then activated G Sync in NVCP and activated Free Sync in the Monitor settings.  I have an NVidia 1080 Ti and a monitor that supports G Sync.  After a flight or two, it seemed to be running pretty smoothly with no stutters or pauses significant enough to cause any alarm.  Eventually, though, it acted no differently than my HDMI input.  An hour or two into the flight, things got a little sluggish, the plane textures went blank and would eventually return, the sim would stutter a bit and frames would eventually drop and become very low.  If I waited long enough, it would come back to a degree; however, I didn't really notice any significant difference from using HDMI or Display Port with G Sync on Version 5.

I experimented with FFTF activated and with it not activated. I changed my display settings in the sim from 30 to 60 to 120 to Unlimited.  All flights start great and continue for about 200 miles or so.  I'll land, and take off again from that airport to come home and that's generally when the you know what "hits" the you know what!

It generally seems to me that after I land, refuel, reset my flight plan, take off and come back that halfway into the flight, things get weird.  If I keep flying further without landing, the flight continues pretty well and much better than landing and taking off again.  Something changes at that point.

I'm going to keep trying various things, but as of now, I'm not seeing a big difference in video input.  I was hoping that I would.

Stan

Hi Stan, I see you have 11G vram, how much system ram do you have?

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

2 hours ago, TurboKen said:

Hi Stan, I see you have 11G vram, how much system ram do you have?

32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz.

Continuing my experiment tonight, I had 2 excellent flights with no problems whatsoever.  The only difference was I checked the Variable Refresh Rate and VSync in P3d.  Variable Refresh Rate indicates that it SHOULD be checked if you are using FreeSync.  Still using Unlimited frames, Display Port input, Gsync and FreeSync employed.

I'll continue tomorrow.  I'm assuming that there is a certain combination of settings that will provide me with the most satisfying performance in V5 as it exists now.  The hotfix coming may change things, but right now, I'm looking to have smooth, uninterrupted flights that are enjoyable.

Stan

Edited by spilok

7 hours ago, spilok said:

It generally seems to me that after I land, refuel, reset my flight plan, take off and come back that halfway into the flight, things get weird.  If I keep flying further without landing, the flight continues pretty well and much better than landing and taking off again.  Something changes at that point.

I'm not sure what add on you are using but some complex add ons don't like multi sectors and can do odd things. It can lead to reduced frames and stutters.

Edited by cowpatz

Cheers

Steve Hall

9 hours ago, spilok said:

Gsync and FreeSync employed

HI Stan

Just to let you know, Gsync and Freesync are two different systems that achieve the same thing and shouldn't be used together.

Gsync is developed by Nvidia and Freesync by AMD. If you have a Gsync monitor, you will need an Nvidia graphics card to use Gsync

and if you have a Freesync monitor you will need an AMD graphics card. Other combinations will not work at all and shouldn't be used

e.g Gsync won't work if you have a Gsync monitor and an AMD graphics card. The purpose of Gsync OR  Freesync is to constantly try

to match your monitor refresh with the output FPS of your graphics card for a smooth experience. This is in contrast to Vsync where a 

set fps of say 30 is required for it to work. So you only ever need to use one of these technologies depending on which monitor and graphics card you 

have. Hope this helps.

31 minutes ago, Caveney737 said:

HI Stan

Just to let you know, Gsync and Freesync are two different systems that achieve the same thing and shouldn't be used together.

Gsync is developed by Nvidia and Freesync by AMD. If you have a Gsync monitor, you will need an Nvidia graphics card to use Gsync

and if you have a Freesync monitor you will need an AMD graphics card. Other combinations will not work at all and shouldn't be used

e.g Gsync won't work if you have a Gsync monitor and an AMD graphics card. The purpose of Gsync OR  Freesync is to constantly try

to match your monitor refresh with the output FPS of your graphics card for a smooth experience. This is in contrast to Vsync where a 

set fps of say 30 is required for it to work. So you only ever need to use one of these technologies depending on which monitor and graphics card you 

have. Hope this helps.

Generally a good description. Except G-sync is not exclusive to Nvidia anymore thus the VRR which is AMD freesync.  Conversely AMD freesync can be used with an Nvidia card provided its a G-sync compatible monitor.  Should be listed in the specs. Its what I'm using.  Freesync monitor with an Nvidia card that has gsync compatible listed in my CP and checked.  The caveat though is that most freesync monitors do not have a very low frequency range. Usually go to about 48 with a few exceptions.   So essentially , the frames and refresh rate of the monitor dont sync unless I can get 48.   Although ever since enabling VRR in P3D it has seemingly worked better. Perhaps a low frame rate compensation to double the frame rate shown to the monitor.  Although that is supposed to be a feature of Freesync 2.  

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Thanks for correcting my post, I wasn't aware of those changes.

1 hour ago, Caveney737 said:

Thanks for correcting my post, I wasn't aware of those changes.

Yes.  Actually, you can't even activate GSync in NVCP UNLESS the FreeSync choice is made on the monitor.  Once you check FreeSync, the GSync choice becomes available on NVCP.

I'm also thinking that Variable Refresh Rate in P3d is designed to help this along.  Hold your mouse over Variable Refresh Rate and READ what it says regarding its usage.

Stan

8 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Generally a good description. Except G-sync is not exclusive to Nvidia anymore thus the VRR which is AMD freesync.  Conversely AMD freesync can be used with an Nvidia card provided its a G-sync compatible monitor.  Should be listed in the specs. Its what I'm using.  Freesync monitor with an Nvidia card that has gsync compatible listed in my CP and checked.  The caveat though is that most freesync monitors do not have a very low frequency range. Usually go to about 48 with a few exceptions.   So essentially , the frames and refresh rate of the monitor dont sync unless I can get 48.   Although ever since enabling VRR in P3D it has seemingly worked better. Perhaps a low frame rate compensation to double the frame rate shown to the monitor.  Although that is supposed to be a feature of Freesync 2.  

Yes.  I actually did a few flights today and set my frames to 48.  The flights went well with no blurries, no pauses of any significance, and complete flights without excessive stuttering.  So, I'll keep flying with 48 frames and using FFTF along with my GSync and FreeSync.  Seems to be working pretty well.

Flew from KABE (Allentown, my home base) to Manchester, New Hampshire.  That airport has runway signs and various signage floating in the air.  It's a default airport.   Flew back to KABE and changed planes and flew to KDTW (Detroit) and landed without any issues.

Stan

Edited by spilok

20 hours ago, spilok said:

32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz.

Well that's definitely not the issue, LOL. but it sounds like you have a fix for now. hopefully it holds up.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

1 hour ago, spilok said:

Yes.  I actually did a few flights today and set my frames to 48.  The flights went well with no blurries, no pauses of any significance, and complete flights without excessive stuttering.  So, I'll keep flying with 48 frames and using FFTF along with my GSync and FreeSync.  Seems to be working pretty well.

Flew from KABE (Allentown, my home base) to Manchester, New Hampshire.  That airport has runway signs and various signage floating in the air.  It's a default airport.   Flew back to KABE and changed planes and flew to KDTW (Detroit) and landed without any issues.

Stan

That's interesting (48 frames).   So can I assume your monitor is able to refresh at 48hz also?   I assume yes as it's my understanding that this is the entire point of G-sync/freesync setups.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

That's interesting (48 frames).   So can I assume your monitor is able to refresh at 48hz also?   I assume yes as it's my understanding that this is the entire point of G-sync/freesync setups.

Still not perfect.  Sometimes during a flight I get serious lags and stutters.  Sometimes I don't.  I still don't have the magic elixir.

Stan

I use G-Sync in P3DV5, and it can go right down to around 20fps and all the way up to 60-70fps (in p3d, more in other games) and still feel good. It’s night and day over vsync or half refresh rate or any other concocted things people do. I personally wouldn’t ever fly without G-Sync activated again. Same applies to XP-11 with G-sync too. 

ps, G-sync works from 1hz right up to monitor limit (100,120,144,160,175hz etc etc). But I believe freesync has a lower limit of 30-40 frames depending on the monitor in question, and below these frames it uses LFC. This is because freesync is driver based, but g-sync is actual hardware inside the monitor. (Hence the higher cost!) 

PS here is a list of all the variable refresh rates of each gsync or g-sync compatible monitor. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

PPS. For a sim as demanding as P3D, where frames can drop to 25-30, I’d recommend a gsync monitor over a freesync one, purley because below 30 frames g-sync is far superior. A VRR of 1-100+ plus would be my recommendation. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

59 minutes ago, spilok said:

Still not perfect.  Sometimes during a flight I get serious lags and stutters.  Sometimes I don't.  I still don't have the magic elixir.

Stan

Last week I just discovered (after 2 years of use) that my BenQ monitor can do a 50hz refresh, amongst its other refresh choices (29hz, 30, 31, 59, 60hz as well).  So I have been experimenting with settings profiles for rural areas (vsync on of course).  This allows 50/50 (50 frames/50hz) and it's really nice and smooth.   I don't think I could use that performance profile at a place like KJFK though.  There I probably have to go 30/30 like I always have been.

I wonder if at KABE you are out of the 110nm AI bubble for Philly and Newark.  If you are, that should sure save a few frames out your way.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB