Sign in to follow this  
rgbalzaretti

When Landing Gear goes Up, Landing lights get Hidden

Hi Everyone, I just noticed that the landing lights are retracted along with the landing gears on my DUKE Turbine B60. I did not know that before!
So, Correct me if I am wrong. How does one go about having the landing lights on under 10,000ft to comply with the existing regulation, when flying this plane or similar?  It seems to me that the beacon light is the only active thing during the flight. I tried to look for an answer every where I could, but I wasn't very successful at that!. so can anyone put a "light" for me?
Many Thanks,
George 

http://www.faraim.org/aim/aim-4-03-14-209.html

4.3.23.c

or

Why are planes required to have landing lights on below 10,000 feet?

It is not a requirement. In most airlines and including in my airline, it is an SOP procedure, but the final decision when to turn on landing lights remain with the pilots. Why we turn on them is to increase the visibility. There is a lot of aircraft movement below 10,000 ft and when you are within the terminal boundary of an aerodrome. So, it adds an extra layer of safety. One can argue that most airplanes have TCAS systems which detects traffic and give out guidance manoeuvres. It is also arguable that air traffic controllers keep a good separation between IFR traffic and VFR traffic within terminal area. Thus, a chance of a collision is not a real possibility.

or

search "landing lights below 10000 feet"

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Well, you could simply leave the gear down if you felt that having the lights on would assist in safety and the landing lights are on the gear. Having known three people over the years who were all killed in mid air collisions, personally, I am inclined to have the lights on if I can, since if it even helps a tiny bit, it could save yours or someone else's life.

You cannot, nor should you, rely on ATC to keep separation for you, especially when VFR, since it is basically your responsibility to see and avoid people, and it is worth bearing in mind that the 'lights on' guideline (since it isn't a rule) is not solely for the benefit of other aeroplanes, it is also to scare birds out of your flight path, and the last time I checked, birds are most definitely not relying on ATC to maintain separation. 🙂

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Does the Duke have recognition lights?  That's what you'd use on some aircraft that have the landing lights on the landing gear like the King Air.

Brian W

KPAE

None that I am aware of.
I guess that In real situations,  pilots leave the NAV and STROBE lights on which they should be on during the entire flight anyway.

22 hours ago, rgbalzaretti said:

None that I am aware of.
I guess that In real situations,  pilots leave the NAV and STROBE lights on which they should be on during the entire flight anyway.

That is likely true, even though nav lights are not very visible in daylight, but strobes, especially the new LED anti-collision lights, can be seen in bright sunlight.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:29 PM, Chock said:

Well, you could simply leave the gear down if you felt that having the lights on would assist in safety and the landing lights are on the gear. Having known three people over the years who were all killed in mid air collisions, personally, I am inclined to have the lights on if I can, since if it even helps a tiny bit, it could save yours or someone else's life.

You cannot, nor should you, rely on ATC to keep separation for you, especially when VFR, since it is basically your responsibility to see and avoid people, and it is worth bearing in mind that the 'lights on' guideline (since it isn't a rule) is not solely for the benefit of other aeroplanes, it is also to scare birds out of your flight path, and the last time I checked, birds are most definitely not relying on ATC to maintain separation. 🙂

Good one! Especially for VFR! Check my video for the rules when flying over Niagara Falls if you like. 

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K