Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

New to FS

I used FSXand AVSIM until a couple of years ago but had to leave off completely flying since.  Now having returned to AVSIM, I see a new product, Micxrosoft Flight Simulator, MFS.  Is there a link for new comers from FSX, to find out everything about this new simulator.  Questions like "with FSX I had to use a large amount photo scenery".  Where is MFS with addons like this?.

29 minutes ago, twister1853 said:

I used FSXand AVSIM until a couple of years ago but had to leave off completely flying since.  Now having returned to AVSIM, I see a new product, Micxrosoft Flight Simulator, MFS.  Is there a link for new comers from FSX, to find out everything about this new simulator.  Questions like "with FSX I had to use a large amount photo scenery".  Where is MFS with addons like this?.

Stay tuned. https://www.flightsimulator.com/

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

This link is unhelpful to someone like myself who is new to the sim'.  Does the sim use photo scenery?  How much is it ?  Where to purchase it?  What are the differences between sim' and FSX?  I need a beginners guide !!

Hi Raymond

The new Microsoft sim is in the work and will be available probably in the fourth quarter of this year. It is designed by a French company called Asobo. It is currently in its alpha testing. Beta should begin in July.

Price has not been made public.

It is a new construction based on photo-imagery, a new flight model engine and a new weather engine. This si not an improved FSX. It is a whole new animal.

The best to get you into it, is to watch the series of 8 excellent You Tube videos called the Features Discovery Series released by Microsoft about the world, the weather, the aerodynamics, the cockpits, the soundscape, the airports, the multiplayer and IFR. You'll then be up to speed… to shoot new questions 😉.

Here is the link.

• Like 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 hours ago, twister1853 said:

This link is unhelpful to someone like myself who is new to the sim'.  Does the sim use photo scenery?  How much is it ?  Where to purchase it?  What are the differences between sim' and FSX?  I need a beginners guide !!

Welcome back. I have great news. This sim is new to everyone. It is so new, in fact, it is not even out yet. There is a lot of information on the Official Microsoft Flight Sim web site, especially if you take the time to sign up as an insider. Also check their YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Tons of information in this forum here. Dig in, have fun. Looks like it is going to be an exciting time. Most of the information you seek is out there and pretty easy to find. Just search.

• Like 1

Chris

Unfortunately the site is indeed not very friendly towards newcomers to the game or the franchise. Since you seem accustomed to Flight Simulator X, I would recommend checking out some of the information revealed in the Global Preview event back in September 2019. These articles by FSElite cover most of that.

https://fselite.net/originals/hands-on-with-the-new-microsoft-flight-simulator/

https://fselite.net/originals/an-overview-of-the-technical-details-for-the-new-microsoft-flight-simulator/

Watching the Feature Discovery episodes that were mentioned above is also highly recommended, the developers themselves present lots of information on what's new and how the simulator is made, with plenty of in-game footage too.

Regarding add-ons, an SDK is in development and several developers are already working with it and giving feedback to Asobo. It seems likely that many add-ons will be available along with the launch of the game, and while we don't know much about it yet, it is expected that the included marketplace will feature official and approved add-ons. As for whether scenery add-ons will be needed, the quality of the default scenery in the online mode depends on the Bing imagery and photogrammetry assets, so you'll have to be the judge of that. The two official trailers and B-roll footage from the Global Preview and X019 events showcase some of the scenery highlights, and will also give you a taste of the overhauled rendering and weather engines, as well as some of the aircraft that will be included with the simulator.

And finally, once you have caught up, make sure to keep an eye on the official website for the weekly development updates. Along with footage from Alpha testers, you will be updated on the state of the Alpha (and later Beta) builds, the SDK and the Partnership Series announcements. I also recommend signing up for the Insider Program, and when a new Alpha recruitment process is up, you will be able to fill out a survey for a chance to become an Alpha tester.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 1

Dont forget about Google...

Just google Microsoft Flight Simulation & all will be revealed.

So, It is in Alpha mode, with an update or two still to come, then it will b e related in Beta, at least one version of this, then it will be released. No price revealed as yet.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

That 3rd video sure feels smooth to my eyes and the TPM sounds are sweet.

The song running through my head is "Magic Bus" by The Who - "I want it, I want it, I want it..."

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Like 2

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

OK.  I've checked out the links.  Now bear with me.  I've heard of beta work on new products but what is alpha or alpha mode which are being  continually referred to here? So what is the difference between beta and alpha?

Ok, Alpha testing is when software is released to testers, based on certain criterea, such as their hardware, to test the functionality of the software. Very often the software is still being developed & incomplete, and the testers will probably not receive the complete software. In Alpha mode, the developers could add features that have been suggested by the developers, and also fix reported problems. So, the software is in development testing. There are normally quite a few versions of an alpha release that testers are looking at.

Beta testing is when the software is complete, all features are 'baked' in and is sent out for testing to check if the software works on recommended hardware without issues. 

Gold, or Release candidate (RC) is when the software has been tested & is now ready for purchase.

Hope this explains.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Pleasure, ray.

There is so much hype about this new sim, & so many new experts. The sim is called, Microsoft Flight Simulator by Microsoft & their developer, Asobo,It's also known as MSFS.

To avoid confusing that name with the names of other sims, such as FS2004,FSX, X-Plane & P3D, (as if it can be confused), Avsimmers, in their wisdom, have chosen various names for it, such as FS20, FS2020, MSF2020 and other random letter combinations, as it was said that the sim would be released during 2020. 

However,  FS20 is the given shortened name for Farming Simulator 2020 (for Android) & FS2020 is the acknowledged short name for Aerofly's flight simulator for iOS (Apple) & for Android.

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Ray when you have time also go read the  thread In-game vs Satellite started by Nooch

Theres a LOT of screenshots taken over the course of time plus explanations by  a certain Shacks95, in real life a walking talking google earthling. 

Jokes aside, but a real informative thread. Lots of little points some members observe concerning the screenshots that most of us wont pick up (me in any case)