Sign in to follow this  
Mac1

More 737 Tuition!

Thank you for your previous help.  Bearing in mind that I’m not using an auto throttle at the moment, can you tell me why when I arm my auto throttle switch it invariably switches itself off regardless.  I’m not sure I understand the relationship between the throttle (not auto) and A/T switch.  If using the A/T should the throttle be at idle?

Thank you

The A/T will switch itself off for various reasons when the aircraft isn't properly configured. One example would be that both flight directors have to be on for the A/T to be armed. In what situation does it switch off?

The A/T automatically commands thrust when it's engaged and the throttle levers in the cockpit will move with it, as if moved by a ghost so to speak. They are only at idle when the A/T commands thrust to be at flight idle, most commonly during a VNAV descent which is normally done at flight idle thrust.

The procedure for A/T use is pretty simple actually. Arm the A/T switch (provided the aircraft is properly configured meaning FMC, MCP) and to engage the A/T press the TO/GA switches on takeoff after letting the engines stabilize at 40% with equal thrust. To disengage, commonly during landing on final approach, press the A/T disconnect button on the sides of the upper part of the thrust levers and they're yours again.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I would suggest you watch some of flightdeck2sim videos on YouTube. He is a real world 737 pilot. Are you using the default X-Plane 737 or the Zibo? There are some differences between the two....actually a lot. 🙂

Thank you Threegreen for you lengthy reply and Paul for your advice.  I will look at those videos.  I’m flying Zibo.  I really need to reinstate an auto throttle before I go any further.

Thank you.

Dare I say this - I remember the days when all 'Autothrottle' required was four fingers and a thumb. 

I remember a time when I was happy with a paper dart.  Now you need massive amounts of money and you still can’t take off.

Edited: I was going to tell you that teaching a layman to fly a 737 via forum posts is going to take a (too) long time, but since we seem to have some users with enough time on their hands willing to teach you...carry on 😂.

Happy landing, Jan

On 6/29/2020 at 5:14 PM, Mac1 said:

Thank you for your previous help.  Bearing in mind that I’m not using an auto throttle at the moment, can you tell me why when I arm my auto throttle switch it invariably switches itself off regardless.  I’m not sure I understand the relationship between the throttle (not auto) and A/T switch.  If using the A/T should the throttle be at idle?

Thank you

Hey Mac1, who are you talking to? Mind to elaborate?

Thanks

Hi Dirk

Good thing I didn’t delete these from my mail as  I intend to print them out.  I can’t find them now in the forum!

Kopteeni. Sunday 7.21

Flying Paul’s. 8.50

threegreen 9.15