Sign in to follow this  
Donstim

SOUTHWEST AIRLINE SKIDS OF THE RUNWAY!

Guest beana51

In the snow,at Chicago's Midway,plane skids of the runway, landing,high winds,plane wrecked, 98 pass.one injury,no fire, WHEW!!! Hot story!! More details on the TV VIN

I used to live not far from Midway when I stayed with my Grandmother for a time back in the 70's. A terrible crash happened out of that airport some years ago. Add to that, the area around the airport is really congested. I took off from there in an ATA 757 a few years back--the sequence went like this--takeoff roll, rotate, busy street. I could swear I saw those drivers ducking as we took off. Details are always sketchy this early (the crash happened two hours ago) but I guess the aircraft broke through the fence and ended up on one of the streets that border the airport (Central Ave). Weather was very bad. -John

Guest Shalomar

FLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.Just changed channels to CNN, thanx

Guest beana51

IT rests in the middle of Central Ave, a737,again! May have hit a few cars.Still,It could have been a lot worse! I hear a guy calls his wife from the plane,tells her to come and pick him up in the street there,,Of course the cops said no to that,amazing!!. VIN

It is unfortunate, because WN has a perfect safety record. One can only suspect the cause for the overrun, until the investigation has been completed. But high winds with a snow-covered and fairly short runway and the standard difficult approach at Midway surely will do the trick, if the plane starts to skid across the runway.

>It is unfortunate, because WN has a perfect safety record.Didn't a 737 end up in a Chevron gas station in Burbank a few years ago?

Yea, but that was a pilot error. I think part of the problem might be that Southwest has just approved the use of the autobrakes. It might be contributing factor, because pilots might not be as accustomed to the autobrakes as they should be.Pat

I'm not sure I understand your distinction.Anyways, do you have any idea what the weather was like in Midway this evening? I don't know if you've ever flown into Midway, but on a good day, any plane that lands or takesoff there will almost go into those walls, let alone a night like this. I'm just glad I didn't have to go there tonight.

Yes, it was also a Southwest Airline 737. You can look it up on www.planecrashinfo.com for a summary of the NTSB report. It happened March 5th, 2000.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest saudi_777

Oh Dear....First it was cars skidding off the highways, now it's planes skidding off the runways, and it's all because of the severe winter weather during these winter months!! :( Winter weather is probably the most hazardous form of weather to all forms of transportation worldwide.I hope that no one's hurt in this accident!!Cheers,

Is it usual practice to land in a heavy snowstorm? Poor little boy.Peter Sydney Australia

As long as the runway is demeed open and the ground crews report no problems with braking action, they'll come in. As soon as the NTSB can get out there, I'm sure more details will emerge. It's rarely one major error that causes these things, it's generally a string of minor errors that just add into a catastrophic result. For no we don't know what happened, other than the plane went off the end of the runway into the roadway. Now the NTSB gets to sort out what went wrong. That's a processes of figuring out what DIDN'T happen so they can rule it out. Questions you're gonna hear will most likely include; "Did the brakes fail?", "Was braking action poor?", "Did the plane land long", "Was the plane going faster than it should?". We shall see in time.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

>As long as the runway is demeed open and the ground crews>report no problems with braking action, they'll come in.That's a little idealistic. Most airlines allow operations on runways down to braking action poor. Only when braking action is reported as nil will people refuse the runway. Even if a runway has been plowed and tested with a mu meter, that good runway is only good like that for an instant, the moment the trucks are off and the planes start coming in, the runway is going downhill again on a snowy day like that. Back in the winter of 2003, a plane ran off the runway in Cleveland. Though a good runway would not have stopped that one from happening, the city immediately plowed that runway *after* the accident, *before* the FAA and NTSB had a chance to show up. People are people. I have a feeling that there will be new rules regarding what to do with runway braking actions after this one, since someone finally got killed.

I really feel it for the devastated family and other injured, but also for the flight crew, it must be awful to know you were piloting an aircraft that ended up taking a child's life, whether you're at fault or not. I pray strength for all to get thru this.regards,Markhttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mar.../sup_banner.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/markrey/lsd2.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark