Any landing you can walk away from...

A bit of space sim stuff for a change.

JriFqUD.png

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm guessing that craft has lift jets or anti-grav, so no problem landing :laugh:

I see the weather's nice on your planet too. The weather's always nice on my planet.. :wink:

Mind you, shortly after that pic was taken a herd of voracious carnivores came swarming over the hill behind you...

No Man's Sky has random flora and fauna on the planets doesn't it?:cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Yeah, the ship is VTOL capable and the landings use automated assistance, so once you've found a decent spot to touch down you just press E and it lands itself, but since the terrain is procedurally generated, it is wise to carefully maneuver until you have a decent spot to land, otherwise your craft can end up stuck in the terrain owing to rendering glitches, which whilst rare and usually easy enough to sort out, can be a PITA, so doing a proper landing approach is advisable for that reason. This is why where I built my base in the game on a different planet to this one, I cleared and leveled a massive area alongside the base building, just so landing ships there would be less arduous 🤣

Nevertheless, the title was more to do with the fact that en route to that planet in the picture, some bad guys tried to make me pay protection money. Well, no self-respecting spacefarer is gonna be putting up with that are they? So I decided to fight them and although I did manage to destroy them all, they did shoot my ship up a bit, meaning it was in a bad way and short of fuel owing to the jetting around in the battle, so it required some repairs and some refuelling, forcing me to land where you see that screenshot to do that, although as it turned out, I found some cool stuff on the planet anyway including an old alien artifact, so they kind of did me a favour in damaging my ship and forcing me to land there.

As you say, the terrain, climate, plants and animals are all procedurally-generated for each planet, so every place you go genuinely is unique. That makes for some weird stuff and interesting combinations, which is in fact one of the best things about the game (or sim if you prefer to call it that), in that places really do come across as alien in the true sense of the word and as in that picture, often very picturesque too.

Another thing I like about No Man's Sky is the fact that you aren't magically able to speak to any intelligent alien species you come across, you instead have to try to learn their language in order to be able to communicate with them. This and lots of other details in the game make it an enjoyable way to waste a few hours and it is a cut above most space sims of this kind because of all that stuff.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Fantastic shot,Graphics look great!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

4 hours ago, Chock said:

...some bad guys tried to make me pay protection money. Well, no self-respecting spacefarer is gonna be putting up with that are they?...

....🙂......

Captivating story...!! Wow...it will take me some time to absorb the (full) ambience of this screenshot....I'm now looking (intently) at those purple (flower?) pods on the ground....(hope, they are not some alien artifacts, with inhospitable or carnivorous intentions, as Mark said above)...!!

BTW, Alan, all you need to do now, is to take out your tool-box, fix this "thingy", and head back safely to Englandshire....🙂....