Sign in to follow this  
PaperTowel1213

Massive frame loss when not using True Sky in P3Dv5

Hello there! I've looked all over the forums for help on this but I couldn't find anything similar. I am using P3Dv5 version 5.0.31.35253, which is the most recent to the best of my knowledge. My issue is that when I switch from Advanced Atmospherics (TrueSky) to default clouds, I have a tremendous performance hit. I thought I may have encountered some error with addons, so I did a clean uninstall of the sim, and the issue continued. Here is P3Dv5 with no addons or settings changed: Advanced Atmospherics on (87 frames): https://gyazo.com/8657a063799b608eb1caeb69f0cd806d And here is default clouds (19 frames): https://gyazo.com/a122fe90e82a52b952d20a30123c4599  As you can see, there is a massive hit when changing from TrueSky. I would just continue to use TrueSky and forget this problem but TS has so many issues that its not really viable for me. Is this a problem that everyone has? When I have asked friends they don't seem to get this problem. I actually get more frames in v4 than im getting in v5 now with the standard clouds. If there is anything you feel I may be missing to diagnose this, please comment and I will edit as needed. Thanks!

Edit: for those who can't see it at first, the frame rate is shown in the bottom left corner of the screenshot. 

Edited by PaperTowel1213
  • Upvote 1

Hello, welcome to the forums.

Can't really compare since I have FPS locked at 30 fps. but I see no performance hit when switching from TrueSky to Defaul. (I would play with default settings)

I use HiFi ASP3D Beta +TrueSky for flights cruising above 5000.
For low and slow in the Cub/Scout or WACO I usually use default because of bugs in tree's.

Edited by RamonB

For me using HiFi ASP3D Beta +TrueSky is a significant performance drop. In high frame scenarios where I’d get 60 frames without TS I drop to 40 with iTS turned on despite using only medium cloud quality. Based on my experience I’d say that the OP has a texture issue. I would recommend deleting the shader folder and using off ASCA for testing. 

Edited by alepro21

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

11 hours ago, RamonB said:

(I would play with default settings)

Yup! I made sure to do a clean reinstall and change no settings since I had this problem before while my settings were changed previously. I receive many crashes in P3Dv5 while using TrueSky so that’s why I’m trying to avoid it. The crashes usually say “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG” which I’ve heard happens a lot when using TrueSky from others.

8 hours ago, alepro21 said:Based on my experience I’d say that the OP has a texture issue. I would recommend deleting the shader folder and using off ASCA for testing. 

Thanks for the input. I have deleted the shader cache three times with no improvements. I don’t own ASCA so that’s not a problem here.

8 hours ago, PaperTowel1213 said:

Thanks for the input. I have deleted the shader cache three times with no improvements. I don’t own ASCA so that’s not a problem here.

Sorry to hear that didn’t work. Are you using any cloud add on such as REX or Envtex? If so I would look at using DX3 or DX1 clouds with low resolution.

Edited by alepro21

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

1 hour ago, alepro21 said:

Sorry to hear that didn’t work. Are you using any cloud add on such as REX or Envtex? If so I would look at using DX3 or DX1 clouds with low resolution.

I use no cloud art with P3D. These screenshots were taken with the base sim, no addons running or installed, and no settings changed. Thanks for the help though

• Upvote 1

Same here. Sometimes can't mantain 60 fps in cruise level using a camera outside the cockpit, which is not a problem in P3Dv4.5, even in the cockpit and using the PMDG B747.

Edited by Aeronildo

Iranildo Araújo

With TS disabled, performance is worse for me as well or on par with P3Dv4. It's very odd because you would assume having TS enabled would be heavier on frames. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

1 hour ago, SolRayz said:

With TS disabled, performance is worse for me as well or on par with P3Dv4. It's very odd because you would assume having TS enabled would be heavier on frames. 

With TS disabled you end up with more cloud layers and textures to render and AA and cloud textures...

André

No. With clear sky i still see a fps drop and stutter, worse performance than P3Dv4 by the way, using the same settings and weather conditions.

Edited by Aeronildo

Iranildo Araújo

On 8/8/2020 at 9:29 AM, PaperTowel1213 said:

Yup! I made sure to do a clean reinstall and change no settings since I had this problem before while my settings were changed previously. I receive many crashes in P3Dv5 while using TrueSky so that’s why I’m trying to avoid it. The crashes usually say “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG” which I’ve heard happens a lot when using TrueSky from others.

Dxgi errors I am having. Lately is the true glass and real light install from qw 787 which is used from tfdi 

mike

3 hours ago, awf said:

With TS disabled you end up with more cloud layers and textures to render and AA and cloud textures...

You are probably right since I'm using Active Sky. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor