Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Just migrated to 4K UHD - need help with Chrome

So now trying to run my system on 2560 x 1440 or 3840 X 2160 and I have found adjustments to settings that work to resolve most issues with fonts/scaling.  But Chrome is giving me fits.  Many many of you have made this transition long ago, and Chrome is likely the browser of choice.  How in the devil can I change/control the text size in the Chrome Toolbar and Bookmarks bar?  See the tiny text in the Chrome Bookmarks bar in the image I have posted below.

I have asked about this on other support web sites and the answers are all over the place and not specifically about the issue I am finding with Chrome.  Now. I am not asking how to control the sizes in an HTML page (Ctrl & +/-).  I am not asking how to change my system resolution, or change Scale and Layout in Display Settings, or change sizes in Control Panel, Ease of Accessibility.  I am just asking about Chrome and the very tiny toolbar and bookmark bars.

Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody! Help!  I need someone. H--e---l---p! Some of you have to have had to deal with this. Right?  What if any solution(s) did you find?

image.png.8cc4fb96985532a0e5d5cb76645ff5ea.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Sorry can't help, but not only do I not think Chrome is the browser of choice, if I had to use chromium I would look at MS Edge before Chrome.

scott .

• Upvote 1

Chrome actually has approx 69% of the worldwide non-mobile browser market up to June of this year. Safari and Firefox both have about 8.75 and Edge has just under 4%.

Edited by Dave_YVR
  • Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

If you go to the far upper right you will see three dots. Click on that. You will see a zoom level. However it will only change your web page. NOT your bookmark sizing.

Also IF you want to change your desktop icons without changing resolution simple hold down control and scroll with your mouse and you can adjust the size to your liking.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

In the brief time I ran 4k, I just used the Windows display scaling and set a custom % to get the zoom that worked best for me.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I see no benefits to Chrome and the lengths that Google go to to get me to install it make me all the more determined to resist. Avast updates invariably have install Chrome selected by default. Grgghh. No thank you.

I’ve used Firefox on a UHD Windows 10 setup for a couple of years without any issues. Windows scaling and CTRL/+- work fine. Maybe Google need to up their game.

Frank, I hope you get your problem sorted and sorry for venting my spleen on your topic. 😉

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 8/12/2020 at 8:41 PM, Dave_YVR said:

Chrome actually has approx 69% of the worldwide non-mobile browser market up to June of this year. Safari and Firefox both have about 8.75 and Edge has just under 4%.

I think that’s based on the fact that Chrome used to be the fastest browser and was also heavily hyped and tended to get installed by many other programs. Microsoft, rightly, got a bad reputation for browsers in the past. However, they seem to have seriously upped their game with the latest version of Edge and that’s likely to pick up much more of the market share when Chrome users try it. I personally still prefer Opera - it’s not very widely installed but is very fast and flexible. More importantly, it doesn’t eat up system resources the way that Chrome does and, just as importantly to me, it isn’t made by Google!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I am vision impaired and have never used Chrome because of poor font rendering and faint, gray fonts, and tiny unscalable toolbar and tab fonts when using monitors with high resolutions. There are many discussions about this issue from Chrome users and never any solution. I moved to Firefox and never looked back. The toolbar and tab fonts are completely scalable to your liking, and its easy to do. Now I can see everything easily running at high resolutions. I was dismayed when Edge released their new  version based on Chrome, and it was predictable that the same scaling issues as with Chrome are now present with the New Edge. Firefox is fast and has a lot of great features.

Greg Clark