Sign in to follow this  
Hippo

RANT: It's my computer. I'll put things where I want them.

You RANT away, if you had done your homework you would I've found you could of installed it where ever you like, like mine is on its own drive under a folder called MSFS.

Because when it came to install it, it asked me were to. No stream version MS version.

But you want RANT away.....

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 hours ago, Reader said:

It's really not that hard, create a folder on the drive where you want the core files to be. Download the app, let it install on the C drive and then use the Windows MOVE button to put it where you want it. Start the Game. When the game reaches the update screen, you can then choose, at the bottom of the screen, where you want the core files to go. Use the BROWSE button to direct them to the folder you created that can be anywhere you choose.

This all sounds fantastic. Can you enlighten me what the Windows move button is, please? Thanks 

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

14 hours ago, Nyxx said:

But you want RANT away.....

Well he isn't the only one who have had problems installing, so I really don't blame him for pointing out the troubles.

I'm gonna buy it at some point, but what's holding me back is the hassle of getting it installed correctly, and installed WHERE I want it. There's really no point it being so difficult. I'm NOT a X-Plane fan, but they have gotten it right. Everything is in ONE folder and not spread over several locations, why oh why, can't Microsoft do the same.

End of my RANT 🙂

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

1 hour ago, jlund said:

Well he isn't the only one who have had problems installing, so I really don't blame him for pointing out the troubles.

I'm gonna buy it at some point, but what's holding me back is the hassle of getting it installed correctly, and installed WHERE I want it. There's really no point it being so difficult. I'm NOT a X-Plane fan, but they have gotten it right. Everything is in ONE folder and not spread over several locations, why oh why, can't Microsoft do the same.

End of my RANT 🙂

Google....

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I installed everything in my drive & folder of choice...I don't know why you didn't just Google this before you started or at least abort the install when you realised it was installing to the wrong drive.

or even the brief guide offered in this very topic:

Create a folder on the drive where you want the core files to be. Download the app, let it install on the C drive and then use the Windows MOVE button to put it where you want it. Start the Game. When the game reaches the update screen, you can then choose, at the bottom of the screen, where you want the core files to go. Use the BROWSE button to direct them to the folder you created that can be anywhere you choose.

It really is not complicated at all.

Edited by Reader

27 minutes ago, Reader said:

or even the brief guide offered in this very topic:

Yes, I know all this.  But, what's with the "let it install on the C drive?" - it gave me the option to install to C or D, so I chose D, why shouldn't I?  The packages and cache can be put on D, and this is what I've done.  The sim does, however, dump a number of other folders in several places over which you have no control (or access).  I realise that this is "the way it is", but as someone who likes to have control over what goes where on my system, I find it irritating.  Also, the installation failed on multiple occasions with no indication as to cause, it's nothing I did, it just failed.  I have never had issues like this installing a flight sim in decades of doing so, this is not my first rodeo.

Anyway, it's all installed and working now.  First impressions are very good.  I tried it out on my 4k 50" TV, and wow, this is a big step closer to photorealism - I am amazed at what they have achieved.  Performance is surprisingly good.

Edited by Hippo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jlund said:

End of my RANT 🙂

Hopefully my posts describing my installation experience might help others who find themselves having similar issues.  I'd definitely recommend having a full backup of your system before attempting the installation.

It's certainly possible to pick the DRIVE (but not folder) you want to install to.  You can specify the folders where the packages will go, as well as the caches.  However it does create a number of other folders (WindowsApps, etc), some of which you do not even have permissions to access.  On my first installation attempt it created these folders on drive D.  On the second it created them on C.  In both cases I requested installion to D, so somewhat puzzling.

Edited by Hippo

I didn't have any issue with my install, however after it was finished I wanted to have a look at the folder structure and was told I didn't have permissions/rights to do that (yes, just open the FS root directory).

I took control later to do anything I want with the files on MY computer, but this felt completely unnecessary.. no rant though, just for information that those might happen and can be resolved easily with a few clicks.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

6 hours ago, Reader said:

You're welcome.🙁

Thanks man. I need to check my forum settings. I didn't get a notification of your post because you didn't quote me. Thanks again.

• Like 1

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

1 hour ago, MatzeH84 said:

I took control later to do anything I want with the files on MY computer,

How did you do that, run as administartor?

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

How is a good question. I googled it and followed a YouTube tutorial. 🤣

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

19 hours ago, Hippo said:

Yes, I know all this.  But, what's with the "let it install on the C drive?" - it gave me the option to install to C or D, so I chose D, why shouldn't I?  The packages and cache can be put on D, and this is what I've done.  The sim does, however, dump a number of other folders in several places over which you have no control (or access).

There are two parts to the installation.

The first part installs the app.

The second part takes place after the app has been started and installs the core files. Of course, at this stage you can, having first created your target folder, choose where to place them.

As I tried to explain, by default, the first part is installed onto the C drive. This can be altered by using the Windows 10 setting for all apps but it is just as easy to let it install the 900 MB to the C drive and move it later, if desired.

Having directed the app to install the core files to your chosen location, it is then possible to transfer the files that you describe as "dump a number of other folders in several places over which you have no control (or access)." to a location of your choice, using the Move function, as described and illustrated above.

Edited by Reader