Sign in to follow this  
patrickbc

Really not that impressed by photogrammetry.

I believe that once they will tweak up the level of detail you can say goodbye to that nice FPS you currently getting and say hello to 25- FPS at most.

• Upvote 1

Roi Ben

Just now, roi1862 said:

I believe that once they will tweak up the level of detail you can say goodbye to that nice FPS you currently getting and say hello to 25- FPS at most.

Well with my GTX1060, 1440p, Ultra Im already at like 15 FPS 😂  However i normally use High (I just used ultra for testing level of detail). At high I’m running at 25-30 FPS however still down to 17 ish if I’m really pushing it (night at New York, in an airliner as an example).

1 hour ago, patrickbc said:

I’ll follow up with a picture where i High level cache it.. However I Think Its more a level of detail problem, or maybe more vram helps. 

Also task manager only shows a 2-3 mb/s usage from the flight simulator, weird Its not pulling every mb it can.

or maybe the servers are just overloaded I dont know.

I don't think its a LOD or VRAM issue, because the issue isn't there when it's cached. But like you said, the possibility of overloaded servers could be the issue and I hope that's the case, cause that can be easily fixed on MS/Asobo's end.

However, I love the idea of manually being able to define and download my own regions to store locally, that way I don't need to rely on the internet. Here's hoping that they can fix the unresponsiveness of the rolling/manual cache issues so that we can go in and create and download them.

Another thing I would love to see is the ability to go back and re-edit the regions that we have defined. Lets say you created a custom region for Manhattan in NYC as using all low quality tiles, then later you change your mind and want to use high quality instead. This would save a lot of time and bandwidth from having to delete the region, go back and create it all over from scratch again. This way we can go back into any region we have already made and downloaded, and just change the quality of the tiles and have it update only those tiles that have changed.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just now, captain420 said:

I don't think its a LOD or VRAM issue, because the issue isn't there when it's cached. But like you said, the possibility of overloaded servers could be the issue and I hope that's the case, cause that can be easily fixed on MS/Asobo's end.

However, I love the idea of manually being able to define and download my own regions to store locally, that way I don't need to rely on the internet. Here's hoping that they can fix the unresponsiveness of the rolling/manual cache issues so that we can go in and create and download them.

Another thing I would love to see is the ability to go back and re-edit the regions that we have defined. Lets say you created a custom region for Manhattan in NYC as using all low quality tiles, then later you change your mind and want to use high quality instead. This would save a lot of time and bandwidth from having to delete the region, go back and create it all over from scratch again. This way we can go back into any region we have already made and downloaded, and just change the quality of the tiles and have it update only those tiles that have changed.

Well the problem is still there when I cache it (see previous post).

24 minutes ago, patrickbc said:

Well with my GTX1060, 1440p, Ultra Im already at like 15 FPS 😂  However i normally use High (I just used ultra for testing level of detail). At high I’m running at 25-30 FPS however still down to 17 ish if I’m really pushing it (night at New York, in an airliner as an example).

Well I'm with 2070 and 5820K at 4.4 mostly flying in ai cities in GA planes and I'm getting higher fps on high/ultra mixed settings. However there is occasional stutter which I think related to loading/downloading scenery.

Roi Ben

1 minute ago, patrickbc said:

Well the problem is still there when I cache it (see previous post).

Strange, it didn't seem so for me. When I manually cached the region, I didn't get those spiky buildings in the distant and pretty much cleared most of the texture loading in problems for me. I'll have to play with the manual cache some more and report here. It's been only a day so far, I still have a lot of experimenting to do with all the new features in the sim.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

They're waiting for the 24GB VRAM monsters that Nvidia is about to release. 

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

3 minutes ago, Slides said:

They're waiting for the 24GB VRAM monsters that Nvidia is about to release. 

Thats less that 5% of people who use this sim will be able to afford. Plus the rumour has it, the "affordable" ones will be 10GB VRAM, and the flagship one will be 20GB VRAM. (3080ti, or whatever they call it).

Anyway my point is, I don't think the new graphics cards will be something that resolves everyones issues. 

3 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Anyway my point is, I don't think the new graphics cards will be something that resolves everyones issues. 

That might be true. Personally, coming from DCS and XP, the terrain is breathtaking at almost any altitude. I have zero issues with the visuals. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slides said:

That might be true. Personally, coming from DCS and XP, the terrain is breathtaking at almost any altitude. I have zero issues with the visuals. 

Yup, it's miles ahead of anything, in terms of visuals. The rest however, needs a lot of work/patches etc...

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Yup, it's miles ahead of anything, in terms of visuals. The rest however, needs a lot of work/patches etc...

It really doesn't even need that much work depending on how you fly. I had an amazing flight in a Cub over my hometown. Flawless experience. 

Really hope they improve the Manual Cache feature. In its current stage it is really slow and unresponsive to the point of making it nearly impossible to use.

1 minute ago, Slides said:

It really doesn't even need that much work depending on how you fly. I had an amazing flight in a Cub over my hometown. Flawless experience. 

The VFR map, is, well, basic! 

GPS? Needs add-ons or work in progress? 

I think you're misunderstanding something here. This has nothing to do with VRAM or even the GPU. The scenery rendering is done by the CPU. The sim is heavily CPU bottlenecked (as much as other sims), and the reason the LOD is rather low is that by extending that, the game would become unplayable on most PC's.

Even on Ultra, my 11GB VRAM barely gets filled up by 50%.

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Just now, Colonel X said:

I think you're misunderstanding something here. This has nothing to do with VRAM or even the GPU. The scenery rendering is done by the CPU. The sim is heavily CPU bottlenecked (as much as other sims), and the reason the LOD is rather low is that by extending that, the game would become unplayable on most PC's.

Even on Ultra, my 11GB VRAM barely gets filled up by 50%.

yeah I noticed that too, to be honest. My 2080ti was only using around 6-7GB of VRAM.