Sign in to follow this  
aktorsyl

Plane veering to the right during cruise

Need some advice from GA flyers here. I have very limited experience in GA planes, but am switching it to my main FS activity now with FS2020. I know why the plane veers during the takeoff roll, and how to counter it with rudder - no problem there. But during stable cruise it also veers to the right (all the planes I've flown do that). I have to constantly apply left aileron to keep it straight. Just curious why that's happening? I don't see rudder trim in the Bonanza or 152,so not sure if it can be trimmed out?

Edited by aktorsyl

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

It's not wind in this case, I can turn around and it'd still go to the right. Always to the right.

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

18 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

Need some advice from GA flyers here. I have very limited experience in GA planes, but am switching it to my main FS activity now with FS2020. I know why the plane veers during the takeoff roll, and how to counter it with rudder - no problem there. But during stable cruise it also veers to the right (all the planes I've flown do that). I have to constantly apply left aileron to keep it straight. Just curious why that's happening? I don't see rudder trim in the Bonanza or 152,so not sure if it can be trimmed out?

What control are you flying with?

4 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

What control are you flying with?

Hotas 4. I actually thought it might be controller deflection but I loaded VKBJoytester and both X and Y axis are perfectly centered when this happens.

18 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

It's not wind in this case, I can turn around and it'd still go to the right. Always to the right.

ok, so not the wind, and you said all planes do it...  must be something with the controller.

is it possible to try something else, simple joystick, or controller?

or as an afterthought , do you have more controllers attached, wheel? maybe its not centered?

can't confirm, at least not from the C152. Loaded equal weights both pax it'll fly level, take out the co-pilot it'll list to the left needing a tad of right rudder. Never had it drift rightwards on me

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

May be MS put too much drag from the prop in there. How ever I had the same behavior and found, that the switch I used to reset TrackIR was also set to trim to the right! 🙂 May be you have a key binding problem...

Which planes have you flown?   Before futzing with the controller try a twin engine prop like the DA62 or Baron

Semper Fi 

Lemme give that a try. I was also wondering about the fuel tanks - it uses first left, then right. Could that also play a role?

26 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

on a light GA? Most definetly

How is that usually countered? Other than constantly applying aileron?

57 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

How is that usually countered? Other than constantly applying aileron?

a touch of rudder. Works best when you have pedals

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

I've gotten good results controlling the rolling tendency from playing with rudder and aileron trim, starting with rudder trim. The rudder will induce a roll. The rudder has been used in real life to control a plane that was having stick/yoke problems and getting the plane safely to the ground.

If you are flying a plane that lacks in cockpit rudder and/or roll controls, you can still apply the trim using the keyboard controls or mapping rudder and aileron trim to the flight controller. I've found the rudder trim to be more effective than the aileron trim. 

• Like 1

Thanks all - appreciate the info!