Sign in to follow this  
EagleSkinner

A personal point of view

I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy reading critiques that aren't simply bashing the sim, but contain useful information.  And yeah, I'm an MSFS fanboi. 🙂 

There's a lot to love in MSFS, at least if you're flying GA aircraft. 😄  Of course, it's not perfect and has its share of problems, but we're at the very beginning;  the sim was just released.  Expect good things in the future.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I agree. Avsim should erect a  virtual "wall of tears" where everyone can deposit their grievances.

Perhaps as part of the upcoming observation of Festivus we can have a special "Airing of Grievances" sub-forum?  🙂

• Like 2

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

OK, great... Five pages in to a pretty straghtforward comment that didn't beg for answers or comments. I merely offered my own point of view. Plain and simple. I am not offended by the many misinterpreted readings that have caused so many responses. I am not even surprised by the vitriol of some of them. I've been around the Avsim forums for years now and I know that even saying "Hi" will get some pretty heated responses.

Anyway - humble pie time. I have only used FSX3 times and I even offloaded XPlane. (I really only installed that to try out VR and to compare it with FSX anyway). Besides, having invested well into four digits on addons for FSX, I had a pretty good looking setup running.

However... I have spent more time in msfs 2020 and although it's a pig-example of how not to program something, it works. Despite the lack of true intuitiveness and the puddle-footed way you have to do things from inside the cockpit, I am slowly getting used to its quirks. Default sceneries are good, an improvement over FSX even, but FSX has a lot going for it when you get a couple of million square miles of improved terrain up and rtunning, and the orbx sceneries, airports and cityscapes are still challenging what msfs can do from the box. More to the point Orbx have met the challenge and their new sceneries are really an improvement.

Careful folks, the "pig-example" comment doesn't mean the sim is terrible. It just means they (MS / Asobo / Blackshark / whoever) promised to make the sim easier to add things to and extend. (Not my theory but given fact on public record). The poor support or lack of time they gave to the hardware peripheral makers (notably Logitech) to get their drivers fixed. The need to learn java scripting to write thousands of characters and words just to create addon liveries. The missing aircraft.cfg files, the missing or locked files that freeware third parties need to access... No, things are not easier in msfs 2020... I know it will be the freeware, freelance devs that will come up with the most useful tweaks and improvements.

...and yet... well, it is kind of growing on me. I know you "hate-protesters" and "nay-sayers" out there will find reasons to slag this post of mine, but you cannot deny you are reacting (this is growing to be one of the longer threads here 🙂 ) to my humble opinion of msfs - and that opinion is changing - slowly. I can wait a while for the really important aircraft to come out (important to me - not necessarily you. Diversity yay!).

Drops mic and leaves exit stage left...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

13 minutes ago, EagleSkinner said:

Despite the lack of true intuitiveness and the puddle-footed way you have to do things from inside the cockpit,

I'm with you there.  I miss the good old 2d cockpit where things were easily accessible even if not entirely realistic in their placement.  I fly the King Air and I have to change 3 views and mouselook just to turn on Pitot Heat  (Yes, I know you can keyboard short cut it...but).  Or if I need to access the GPS/AP controls, it's a mess.  And just try to dial something in the G1000 when the autopilot is making a turn, or you hit some turbulence.

I agree with you there, navigating the cockpit is not very easy, and I don't think VR will improve things a lot because VR in it's current state is not granular enough for you to "flick' switches or turn knobs.

20 minutes ago, EagleSkinner said:

I can wait a while for the really important aircraft to come out

I wish PMDG would reissue their Beech 1900D.  It was one of their "lite" models that they released for FS2002/COF.  Realistic enough to be challenging but not so detailed to make it impossible to fly.  It was my favorite plane.  

• Upvote 1

The only reason I’m not going back to p3d anytime soon is because of the immense hassle it is to install all the addons with their keys, unique managers and everything in between etc and of course the tweaking required. 

if only I had the time!