Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EagleSkinner

A personal point of view

This is just a personal opinion people, sorry.

I shall probably enjoy FSX or P3D for a couple of years more.

The reasons Asobo and co decided to release seem to be purely financial and game-politics. It's not ripe yet. Sadly, my personal view is that msfs is more game like than lifelike and there are too many little niggly bugs, buglets and issues to allow enjoyment “out of the box” which FSX DID deliver. Too many things missing, too many restrictions on painting / content creation. A lot of real pilots commenting - many pro but still quite a few contra, (and here the group is quite distinct - aerobatic pilots are definitely contra) - the accuracy of control authority is lacking.

Content creation (in my cas paints) needs too much learning and is somewhat restrictive compared to the fsx generation. Considering what I was capable of in all previous "out of the box" versions of flight simulation software (you guys know my paints) I find msfs 2020

MSFS 2020 is a bit like a miss world candidate - very nice to look at (and at my age, the chances get less by the day) but one does tend to appreciate the “homely woman” who’s been at one's side for so long, that a “millenial” partner is not what we really need…

Sorry and “Bye for now” msfs. As for fsx - I think a spit and polish of my old installation is in order...

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

8 minutes ago, EagleSkinner said:

This is just a personal opinion people, sorry.

The reasons Asobo and co decided to release seem to be purely financial and game-politics. It's not ripe yet. Sadly, my personal view is that msfs is more game like than lifelike and there are too many little niggly bugs, buglets and issues to allow enjoyment “out of the box” which FSX DID deliver. Too many things missing, too many restrictions on painting / content creation. A lot of real pilots commenting - many pro but still quite a few contra, (and here the group is quite distinct - aerobatic pilots are definitely contra) - the accuracy of control authority is lacking.

Content creation (in my cas paints) needs too much learning and is somewhat restrictive compared to the fsx generation. Considering what I was capable of in all previous "out of the box" versions of flight simulation software (you guys know my paints) I find msfs 2020

MSFS 2020 is a bit like a miss world candidate - very nice to look at (and at my age, the chances get less by the day) but one does tend to appreciate the “homely woman” who’s been at one's side for so long, that a “millenial” partner is not what we really need…

Sorry and “Bye for now” msfs. As for fsx - I think a spit and polish of my old installation is in order...

Appreciate your decision, I won't be going back I'm enjoying it to much but I'm not an absolute purest if I want it to be real to the point I'm obsessing over what's not right I will go and hire a plane but I have been like that with all my Sims

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Fair enough. There are certainly areas that need improvement and soon. However for me personally I don't think I could go back to the older sims. The 2d billboard clouds, the lighting, water and barren scenery outside of the small regions I have payware for - is too limiting even with the great payware aircraft available.

I cant wait for updates though to the default airliners in msfs - they are driving me up the wall! 🙂

Can moderators please close these kind of topics? Is getting very tiring reading these rantings instead of sharing tips and asking questions.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

1 minute ago, omarsmak30 said:

Can moderators please close these kind of topics? Is getting very tiring reading these ranting instead of sharing tips and asking questions.

Sorry - I am not ranting. I have been using the microsoft flight sim spftware since Bruce Artwick days. Yes, this post is only my opinion, but as you point out (see your own quote) you are tired of seeing the ranting - which must mean there you are perceiving a lot of it. Are so many people unjustified? I well remember the first weeks of FS2004 and FSX too. There appear to be more saddened users now than then.

Besides, this is not a rant. If you want rants, just look elsewhere. Everything I said in OP is commented on by others a thousand times over.

Admin - please feel free to block me after 15 years of "ranting"

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Agreed

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

34 minutes ago, EagleSkinner said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this.  Oh and I value your opinion, thanks.  Better than reading hate speech.  Or rants.

The older sims have some advantages over FS2020.  If you have a lot of favorite aircraft, it may be a long time for them to appear in the new sim, if ever.  You may prefer Active Sky or other weather program to Meteoblue.  

The hardest part of going back to an older sim will be looking at the old scenery.  That's what keeps me from booting P3D these days.  I do miss some of my aircraft there.

Good luck, and hope to see you back some time in the future.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Generally agree, but I rather use both sims parallel and I also don't think it will be "years" until MSFS is ready to take over.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I'm one of the doom mongers on the flight modelling, but I have rarely ranted (except maybe once out of sheer frustration) and tried to find reasons why things are not quite right, and also tweaking away to improve things which I hope to share. I just had an extremely pleasurable flight with a visual feast weather wise, lighting and scenery wise. If I thought this sim was lacking overall I wouldn't bother and be content with FSX/P3d, but I do see enormous potential here, which is why I think it is important to discuss glaring issues.

With so much potential it is very disappointing that the fundamental thing which makes this sim worthwhile, ie FLIGHT, is the most commented on and complained about. I know some are not concerned and think there is no problem at all, but I think the tide is slowly turning.\Whatever the issues, any clamping down on discussion, however tiresome for some, is a bad thing. 

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

1 hour ago, EagleSkinner said:

Everything I said in OP is commented on by others a thousand times over.

That right there is the issue. You could have appended your thoughts to any one of the pre-existing threads.

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

Can moderators please close these kind of topics? Is getting very tiring reading these rantings instead of sharing tips and asking questions.

Absolutely not unless it goes south and there's no indication that is going to happen. No-one has 'ranted'. If these posts don't interest you just move on.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

What is really tiresome is people calling for closing a thread they don't like. Call out what the OP says, explain why or ignore him but let the  guy say  his piece. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Hi

I have to say reluctantly that for the moment I tend to agree.

MSFS is awesome and will continue to become more so - especially when the default planes work properly and are easier to manage, configure and fly. I have had some amazing flights (simple GA at sunset types).

However, the last straw for me, was trying, after an abortive attempt yesterday to get the King Air to fly on autopilot with good framerates but huge stutters over Ecuador, today trying a flight in the TBM instead.

This time whatever I did, the throttle axis would not let me increase throttle in the TBM - going into reverse instead - it's been fine before so far. Then the controls UI has incorrectly assigned keys so you can't even reliably assign buttons (in some cases). I am sure there may be ways around this, but my patience will not stretch that far at the moment. Anyone else who has had similar problems though plesase let me know.

All in all I jumped back into P3D v5, Flightbeam SEQM in the Milviz KA350i and had a beautiful experience flying into the difficult (and I believe now largely defunct) SERB Riobabma. I would still love to fly over real Ecuador scenery but I guess this will have to wait for the while.

Equally I wish Orbx and others would update the rest of their sceneries for v5...

Ray

A suggestion.........if you don't like a particular thread, there are hundreds of others that you can check out instead. Please refrain from trying to tell others what they should and should not do on the AVSIM forums. The moderators will do that if they feel it is necessary.....and for the record, I see nothing wrong with this one.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I was not surprised that there would be a few hiccups with this complex sim since the release, Seen it all before with other sims when they were first released, just imagine in the very near future when 3rd party tube liners enter in the Ring the likes of PMDG, FS Labs and many others, and all the bugs are ironed out, this will be the best sim ever.                 
For now I will keep flying in p3d v4.5 powered by 3rd generation cpu.

I know hardware upgrade is inevitable and that’s ok. When the timing is right I’ll switch over. Wow, what a bright future it is in the sim world. Patience is a virtue.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.