Sign in to follow this  
vonsworld

Disk 1 always Required to run FS2020?

Hello

I've installed FS2020 from DVD and it appears to be working, although it always asks me to have Disk1 in the drive before it will run.

Is there any way to avoid this please? I am connected to the internet and always logged in to my microsoft account, so why does it need the disk to validate my copy before running the software?

Obviously if I'd downloaded FS2020 rather than installed it from DVD this wouldn't be an issue since I would have no discs.

Thanks for your advice

Robin

Microsoft wanted it to be this way. There's a long discussion on it over at the Aerosoft forum.

What you can try is to copy the whole .iso file of DVD1 to your hard drive and use for instance Daemon Tools to create a virtual DVD. With some apps this works, with others it doesn't. Drawback is you lose a couple of GB on your disk, the plus is you don't need to have your DVD player spinning.

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

This is the thing that put me off getting the DVD set. However if the .iso trick works then I might end up getting it. 

Used to be always the way with pretty much every PC game 20 years ago. The idea was to stop you installing the game an giving the discs to a mate to do the same thing. XBOX games work the same way, if you install from disc you have to have the disc in the xbox to play the game, if you bought the downloaded version you don't. MSFS is no different.

CJ

50 minutes ago, Willyflyer said:

Same problem here, it's more than annoying. I also wish I had bought the cheaper download version, saving cash and hasle.

Its not all bad. If for some reason you have to reinstall then you do not face a massive 90GB download from the internet. 

Also I saw a comment on another thread where a simmer said that hes made a .iso and it works fine. However I will wait for more confirmation of this. 

6 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Its not all bad. If for some reason you have to reinstall then you do not face a massive 90GB download from the internet. 

Also I saw a comment on another thread where a simmer said that hes made a .iso and it works fine. However I will wait for more confirmation of this. 

This has been confirmed at the Aerosoft forums. Why wait?

2 minutes ago, SeanMo said:

This has been confirmed at the Aerosoft forums. Why wait?

Oh I didnt know this, thanks for the info. Will go there now and have a read, thanks. 

The main advantage of DVD compared to when you buy from internet, is that you can share it with friends, you can also sell your DVD. This is why it's important and meaningful to have the "Disk 1 verification". 

An simple workaround for this DVD problem :

I created 'MFS DISK 1.ISO'  (= disk image file) containing only the file 0x0409.ini   Put the file on the desktop and mount it by right-click, open with, select 'explorer'  

The file size is 22kb....... works great and the DVD can be put into the box. (;-)

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2020 at 12:33 PM, RoeldeJ said:

I created 'MFS DISK 1.ISO'  (= disk image file) containing only the file 0x0409.ini   Put the file on the desktop and mount it by right-click, open with, select 'explorer'  

The file size is 22kb....... works great and the DVD can be put into the box. (;-)

Could you please link me to the file? I tried to make one but it didn't work. I dunno if something is wrong with my PC or if it's something I did wrong. 

On 8/31/2020 at 12:33 PM, RoeldeJ said:

Just to the single MFS DIsk 1 .ISO file of course.

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, BrianTheMint said:

can someone send me a link to a copy of the file, i lost my disc 1 somehow, i still have all the opthers but i cant run msfs2020 without it

reading posts like these I'm always triggered to go watch an episode of  the "" Scammers caught red handed" channel.

• Like 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD