Sign in to follow this  
nbhall68

No More Compromises

So after a full week now I continue to be utterly amazed by this new sim.  Over the last twenty years I can't remember a flight sim release that impressed me as much as this one does.  They all raised the bar in various ways but they mostly felt like incremental steps forward that left me thinking "okay, this is a nice improvement...but if only [insert dream about the future here]".

For the first time I feel like there are no more compromises.  No more restricting my flights to where I have good scenery installed.  No more daytime only flights due to a lack of good night lighting.  No more avoiding bad weather because it's too hard on the frame rate.  For the first time I can freely go anywhere I want, anytime I want without giving any of that a moment's thought.

I honestly don't even know what my frame rate is.  It's been so smooth and fluid that I've never bothered to check (this is a flight sim, right?).  I've had only very minor stutters here and there, so minor that I barely give it a thought.  If that's as bad as it gets when loading in 200,000 buildings for the entire San Francisco metropolitan area, then I'll take it.  One week after release and I have every single setting turned up as high as it will go (except Render Scaling which is at 100, not 200).  It's hard to believe that this is just the beginning and I've tweaked nothing.

The whole experience feels so much more dynamic and alive.  The cloudscapes that I've seen over the last week have been breathtaking.  The aerial perspective and sense of altitude are very well done.  The lighting under all conditions is incredible.  The subtle motion through the air or the unusually smooth flight, the occasional bumpy ride or the turbulence in plausible places make each flight different.  I believe they've captured this better than ever.  Is it exactly correct?  Well I don't know, I'm not a real world pilot so I can only speculate.  But that debate is endless anyway and always will be.  While I'm flying my desk around the world it's all about suspension of disbelief.  And my disbelief is suspended.

The only bug I've really noticed that affects my enjoyment in any way is the winds being inaccurate.  But I'm not your typical impatient gamer (or simmer) and I'm sure they'll fix it.  I'm also looking forward to more complete implementations of the Garmin units (from Asobo, mods, third-parties or whatever).  I'm sure there are other problems but by virtue of the way I tend to play I don't really notice them much.

Is the glass half full, or is it half empty?  My glass is full.

• Like 27
  • Upvote 1

I take that you are not Trolling?? 🙂 

I agree.

Cheers

bs

• Like 2

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

MFS2020 is breathtaking. I only hope MS will continue to fund the development. This is the only concern I have about MFS2020 at the moment. They just can't ditch it as it is in the current state, then it wold be a huge disappointment and failure I would say.

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1

@Dirk98 - MS has piles of money.

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 minute ago, bean_sprout said:

bs

They also have piles of shareholders, though.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

bs

bs in so many ways and to so many reasons.

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1

@HiFlyer Bill (the flight simulator enthusiast) and who else?

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

@HiFlyer Bill (the flight simulator enthusiast) and who else?

bs

If not all, here are at least some....

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/122215/top-4-microsoft-shareholders.asp 

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

@HiFlyer - well they should be quite happy now.  Can you imagine what kind of PowerPoints you could do with it?

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

38 minutes ago, nbhall68 said:

Is the glass half full, or is it half empty?  My glass is full.

Personally I always like to think of my glass as "only half empty".😌

Rick

5 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

@HiFlyer - well they should be quite happy now.

Cheers

bs

The thing about Microsoft is, they have a history of spending big bucks on various initiatives/products and then walking away from that money (and the consumers that trusted them) without a backward glance, and without the slightest sign of regret.

Like probably everyone, I'm hoping for the best, while not forgetting that history for an instant.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Devons rig

@HiFlyer - tell me something new.  Welcome to the machine.

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

I agree with the OP and echo the same experiences with my hardware. I was flying around in the CJ4 last night and had time to soak up more of the goodness. What dawned on me as the sun rose over the Colorado Mountains was the amount of money I spent over the years trying get the various SIM platforms to look semi good. Example: I purchased sky textures, cloud textures, ground textures including many regions, runway textures, HD building textures, night textures, tree textures, sun/moon textures the list goes on and not forgetting the time spent tweaking shaders. Out of the box this thing is pretty darn good. 

waiting patiently for the WX fix, VR and my PMDG DC6/747/NG

Edited by Iceman2
  • Like 3