Sign in to follow this  
paulwilko10

i5 4690K to a i7 4790K - Any Point?

Currently i am running FS 25 fps on nearly medium.

That is only with GA aircraft, anything more and i am pushing my luck lol.

My set up is:

i5 4690K

GTX 1650 Super

16GB Ram

Asus Z97-K Motherboard

I do get issues with the cpu being 100% on anything more than 25fps and even these settings cause some stuttering.

If i went any less on the graphics i may aswell play fsx

So, my motherboard can only go as high as the i7 4790K.

I know the obvious money is not an issue idea would be to scrap it all and start again, but that is not possible.

So my question is, will the i7 4790K give me enough of an upgrade to warrant the appx £130.

No point in saying if only you spent a bit more, as taht really is not possible because i would need a new board, cpu, memory and probably PSU.

Thoughts please

Cheers

Paul

So, 

I run a 4790K, 16 gig of ram and run with most setting ultra and get a fairly steady 30fps with the a320 at egll.  But I also run a 1080 ti so your mileage may vary.

Bryan.

Edited by bsmfinegan

I'm running the 4790k @4700 (without overvolting, just the multiplier) with a gtx 1080, and 1080 res, it is a perfect CPU/GPU balance, getting 45/55fps almost all details at ultra.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

9 minutes ago, paulwilko10 said:

Thoughts please

OK, my thoughts. Sorry, but you won't like them.

No, don't get a 4790K for MSFS or for anything, for that matter. Especially not at that price.

It would still be a compromise, you'd barely be able to run MSFS any better, especially with that GPU.

Better wait until you can afford an overall more capable system. 

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

For the pricing posted its definitely not worth it IMO.  Much better to invest in either a new setup or new video card first.  Spending that much on an outdated processor for what will likely give minimal gains is likely not worth it.

1 minute ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

OK, my thoughts:

No, don't get a 4790K for MSFS or for anything, for that matter. Especially not at that price.

It would still be a compromise, you'd barely be able to run MSFS any better, especially with that GPU.

Better wait until you can afford an overall more capable system. 

Thanks, but why "especially with that GPU"?

I can still send the GPU back and get a better/lesser oner?

1 minute ago, pjs37 said:

For the pricing posted its definitely not worth it IMO.  Much better to invest in either a new setup or new video card first.  Spending that much on an outdated processor for what will likely give minimal gains is likely not worth it.

Thanks

Whats wrong with the card?

2 minutes ago, paulwilko10 said:

Thanks, but why "especially with that GPU"?

I can still send the GPU back and get a better/lesser oner?

Well, I guess it all depends on what framerates you're willing to find acceptable, but my understanding is that card is barely minimum spec for MSFS, hardly more capable than a 970.

What? No..  you only gain hyperthreading which you turn off anyway to allow better overclocking. Just overclock your chip a little. Should be able to go 4.4 across all cores with out touching voltages. Mine would do 4.8 with a small bump in voltage. Save your money. Upgrade everything when you can afford it. The cheaper upgrade for you would be a RTX3070 due next month, that will help you more then a CPU. I also wanted to add the 4690K is not the 20 year old pentium a lot of people make it out to be. Its still a good computer. An SSD will also help.

Edited by TurboKen

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

2 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

What? No..  you only gain hyperthreading which you turn off anyway to allow better overclocking. Just overclock your chip a little. Should be able to go 4.4 across all cores with out touching voltages. Mine would do 4.8 with a small bump in voltage. Save your money. Upgrade everything when you can afford it. The cheaper upgrade for you would be a RTX3070 due next month, that will help you more then a CPU.

I'm confused lol and glad i asked.

I have only just upgraded my GPU fro the GTX 760 to the GTX 1650 Super and it showed a very big jump in FPS on exactly the same settings.

The trouble with the new card is now it seemingly pushed the CPU to its max and is now a bottle neck.

So in theory if i went further with the GPU, it would get worse?

I have seen youtube reviews of benchmarks that show the 4790 performing much better than the 4690 both overclocked which mine is to 4.3ghz

I am even more confused now lol

6 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

What? No..  you only gain hyperthreading which you turn off anyway to allow better overclocking.

*lol* You definitely don't want to turn off hyperthreading in MSFS. This isn't FSX or P3D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, paulwilko10 said:

I have seen youtube reviews of benchmarks that show the 4790 performing much better than the 4690

NOT in P3D. No way. I turned hyperthreading off to reduce heat so I could overclock more.

I had a RTX2080 with my 4790K it makes all the difference when flying in bad weather.

If its too late to return the GPU then enjoy your system the way it is. 🙂

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Just now, TurboKen said:

NOT in P3D. No way. I turned hyperthreading off to reduce heat so I could overclock more.

I had a RTX2080 with my 4790K it makes all the difference when flying in bad weather.

If its too late to return the GPU then enjoy your system the way it is. 🙂

Well, we're not talking about P3D here. 

I contemplated this same question years back and settled on "why not" (caveat: I was able to sell my i5 for about $275 so it ended up becoming a $75 upgrade)

in the end I was happy with the gains I saw in OC. My i5 would never break 4.6 but the i7 happily chugged along for 2+ years at 4.9 up until the day I sold it for $50 under what I paid.

If you can justify the return, I think you'll enjoy it.

Edited by ZLA Steve

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

3 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

*lol* You definitely don't want to turn off hyperthreading in MSFS. This isn't FSX or P3D.

Didn't realize I was in FS2020 forum Lol.. Thought this was the hardware forum. So for FS2020 I'm not sure about hyper threading as I don't have FS2020. But I still don't think hyper threading is going to make that big of a difference to justify purchasing a new cpu.