Sign in to follow this  
SimFx

Installation path too long

Maybe someone can advise me here.. I have bought and installed FS from the MS Store and have directed the install to my SSD drive.

For whatever reason, the installer has created a very long install path (d:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-1184541310-3117086562-348737596-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\), with the Community folder obviously even some levels deeper.

Now when I try to put the new A320 mod into the community folder, several path/file names become so long (over 260 characters for some) that FS seems unable to read them. Anyway, the A320 mod does not seem to be installed. Would moving FS to another drive (and later move it back) possibly shorten the installation path (no idea why it is so long!), or will it take over whatever path has been set on the original install?

Thanks for any help!

I have the same problem. Windows has a default limit of 260 characters. There is the possibility to activate Long Path via gpedit or a registry key, but unfortunately this only leads to the fact that I can copy the files to that place, but FS2020 does not recognize any addons or liveries. Does anyone have a solution for? Thanks a lot.

I installed my packages to d:\FS2020\Packages*.  You are given the option to choose the packages location during the installation.  I would recommend not accepting the default.

I can't remember now whether it's possible to change this location after installation.  However, you could backup the packages folder, uninstall fs2020 and reinstall.  When it starts to download packages, stop the install, and copy the files in from the backup.  Then restart fs2020 and it will all work.  I've just done this moving my install to another PC, and not wanting to download over 90GB again.

To expand on what the previous poster said:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/The-Windows-10-default-path-length-limitation-MAX-PATH-is-256-characters.html

The registry key already exists on my W10 install (set to 0).  I haven't tried this, as I don't have this issue.  But from what the PP says, it seems that FS2020 is using file access routines that can't handle the path lengths anyway.  A bit of an oversight if so.

(* and the caches to d:\fs2020\cache - why I used a two folder structure)

Edited by Hippo

26 minutes ago, SteveFx said:

If you go into the settings ->apps->Microsoft flight simulator there is a  move  option.  

I haven't done this myself but it is described on zendesk here

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015910560-Can-I-choose-or-change-the-installation-path-

IIRC it just allows the move of the entire installation to another drive.  It does not allow for the change of the folder structure.

Edited by Hippo

The best option is probably for the OP to raise this as an issue on zen desk.    If it can create such a long path then it needs to support long pathnames.

I actually reinstalled on day 2 because of hastily accepting the default location. On the second install I simply told it to install to documents. Therefore the installation path for addons is relatively small.

C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Community

On 9/4/2020 at 10:01 AM, SimFx said:

with the Community folder obviously even some levels deeper.

I suspect that you chose that path yourself, albeit inadvertently.

This is the default path, if nothing is changed.

MSFS-installer-image.jpg

You can choose your own location once you reach the in-game Content Manager screen.

MSFS-installer-image2.jpg

If you created D:\MSFS, the installation path for addons would then be

D:\MSFS\Community

Edited by Reader

Totally understand if someone wants their files located on a different drive, but aside from that, why shouldn't we use the default path? In my case, I had more room on the SSD with my OS than I had on the SSD with P3D. I used the default path, and I'm able to see the liveries I added.

I'd actually like to see a longer discussion about files paths, because if one method is better than another, it should be a sticky. Right now, this will be lost after 30 minutes or so.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I have the boxed premium etc. The DVDs you did not have a choice of where to install it: C:. However, the on-line content is on my D:, as you had the option to choose where to place that. The Community folder is easy to find. C - Users, Name, Appdata, Local, MSFS Packages, Community.

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

back in the day the installation path was more simpler 😄 Mine was D:\Games\FSX

Now its a horrendous task to even find the installation folder yet along find the path to the addons...

what was Asobo thinking ??

• Like 1

Faster solution for me it's just decompress the zip file to a folder and later move the thing to community folder. I got mad with this thing before till I founded that the issue comes up when I was opening the zip file double clicking it, this takes the file to packages windows directory and then you get this too long path error. So for me, just decompress to a folder before instead of unzip to community folder just worked!

• Like 2

Have meanwhile found out that the installer created TWO community folders on my system, and that FS was in parts installed to my C drive and in part to drive D, both including their own (!) Community folder. Go figure. Now putting content in my C drive community folder (which has a much shorter path) will make it appear in FS just fine. Will file this on Zendesk by next weekend when I‘m back to my PC