Sign in to follow this  
DBlackmore

Graphics Card Requirements for FS 2020

Based on the performance I'm getting with a GPU that performs closely to the newer integrated GPUs but with 2GB dedicated VRAM as well, I don't think you'll have much success trying to enjoy the simulator, especially since you've got 16GB DDR3 system RAM that would be very slow as video RAM. You will likely get lots of I/O stutters over more complex areas, and the resolution will have to be so low that the entire image looks blurry and pixelated.

Sadly if your PSU is indeed as weak as orchestra_nl is saying, then your best choice is a GTX 1650 GDDR6, which should give you a good enough experience at low-medium settings (and the simulator looks surprisingly good even then). Thanks to node shrinks it is likely that we will have more powerful GPUs within the 75W PCIe slot budget in 4-7 months from now, if you're willing to wait that long.

2 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

I know from experience that the default power supply on these Dell systems is very limited, only 250-275W. it also lacks a PCIe power connector, so a GTX 1650 is probably the best you can do.

Excellent point. One has to be careful with prebuilt systems to ensure it has the necessary items to actually upgrade it. i.e. a free PCIe slot, a connector slot on the power supply of the necessary size, a power supply that can handle the extra load, etc. Perhaps a google search of "upgrading Optiplex 9010" would be helpful. I did a quick search and there seems to be people discussing upgrading these that might provide some insight and some potential pitfalls.

1 minute ago, __v__ said:

Excellent point. One has to be careful with prebuilt systems to ensure it has the necessary items to actually upgrade it. i.e. a free PCIe slot, a connector slot on the power supply of the necessary size, a power supply that can handle the extra load, etc. Perhaps a google search of "upgrading Optiplex 9010" would be helpful. I did a quick search and there seems to be people discussing upgrading these that might provide some insight and some potential pitfalls.

Indeed, it's one of the reasons I tried to jump in very early and stop the OP making a mistake. Hard to believe there are suggestions of something like a RTX 3070, it's really easy to chuck away someone elses money.

On second thought, your budget could allow for a proper PSU upgrade and GTX 1650 Super. It's a good card for medium-high settings at 1080p30. I'm unfamiliar with Canadian dollars, so if you give me a link to your preferred online store I could take a look at some solutions.

I am using a GTX 1060 graphics card at the moment. While it does require a better power supply than you have, it is not that much faster than a 1650 and on medium settings@ 3440x1440 it is doing OK.
Considering Asobo is still working on improving the performance of MSFS it only gets better.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

15 minutes ago, DBlackmore said:

Here's the store I'm going to today.

Not seeing a link to your store, it probably didn't go through. By the way, does your computer look like this?

180426093345_9010SFF-I73770-FB-R-soft__9

If so then it's going to be a tricky upgrade. I'm not sure if any power supplies are made today for this form factor, and if there are they are probably of poor quality. I think it might be best to go with a case upgrade as well. If you can stretch your budget a little more for a case, PSU and GPU upgrade, you will have very good results as your CPU and RAM are good enough.

EDIT: I saw your link now. Oddly there is no GTX 1650 Super in that shop, but they have two GTX 1650 models listed for $240 each. Say $80 more for the cheapest case and $90 for the cheapest certified PSU, total is $410. You could reduce that further if you find a good used GPU deal, like the Polaris cards from AMD.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty

Oof yeah even with a 1650 your PSU is going to be a problem if not even the case being an issue.  Using that store link the best scenario is something like this: 

Capture.jpg

Bear in mind I am literally using the cheapest bits they have.  There is not much wiggle room on the PSU and no idea the cooling capacity of that case.

Edited by pjs37
  • Like 1

@ChaoticBeautyGood point.
If the OP has a SFF (Small Form Factor), the power supply is only 240W, and the case only fits low profile GPU's. (https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/dell_optiplex_9010_spec_sheet.pdf)

I have a 9020 SFF sitting next to me as an extra PC, it's quite cramped inside, and if the CPU already has been upgraded on the OP's PC I am not sure how much more heat of the graphics card the case can handle.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

7 minutes ago, pjs37 said:

Oof yeah even with a 1650 your PSU is going to be a problem if not even the case being an issue.  Using that store link the best scenario is something like this: 

Capture.jpg

Bear in mind I am literally using the cheapest bits they have.  There is not much wiggle room on the PSU and no idea the cooling capacity of that case.

I was going to say...you need a bigger PSU! 400W isnt going to cut it if you upgrade to a 2080 or 3x series. Even a 1080ti needs more than that.

2 minutes ago, DBlackmore said:

I'm sorry Chaotic Beauty, that isn"t my case. My case has all 4 USB ports in a vertical row.

Then it must be this one, which seems to be the exact same form factor. The only larger one I can find, which looks identical to a mid-tower, has the ports in a horizontal row.

dell-optiplex-9010-front-back.png

3 minutes ago, DBlackmore said:

That's it!

Yeah, I don't think you'll have much luck with that. I can recommend the list that pjs37 listed above, but I would spend $10 more for the EVGA 500 BR which is certified and should work well with a low-end dedicated GPU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1