Sign in to follow this  
environmental_ice

Observation: AI Traffic deteriorates performance

Which is expected. AI traffic cramps flight sim as we all know However I noticed that after loading up even at JFK my FPS is in the 25-30 fps range and the longer the sim is running the worse the performance gets with AI Traffic and this is with OFFLINE AI or REAL TIME LIVE AI. I have even attempted to lower the AI traffic slider to 10 and get the same result after about 30 minutes of the sim running the performance deteriorates. I did a flight to KSEA yesterday and could clearly see performance getting worse in cruise after 2 hours of flight. Just panning around was very choppy compared to when I was sitting at the gate in JFK and after landing my FPS was in the 10-12 range. I did a flight today with AI Traffic completely off and performance boosted at the gate after loading up which was expected but I was able to maintain performance throughout the flight and to my destination. 

Processor:
Intel® Core™ i7-9800X Processor (8x 3.80GHz/16.5MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard:
ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2 -- RGB, Gb LAN, USB 3.1 (4 Rear, 4 Front), ASUS Exclusive Features
Memory:
32 GB [8 GB x4] DDR4-3000 Memory Module (w/ RGB Lighting) - ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 (RGB LED)
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 - 8GB GDDR6 
Power Supply:
850 Watt - be quiet! Straight Power 11 - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
Primary Hard Drive:
240 GB WD Green SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 465MB/s - Single Drive
Secondary Hard Drive:
2 TB Hard Drive -- 256MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Edited by environmental_ice
  • Like 1

Duh!

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

Duh!

you didnt even read the post....but whatever. this shouldnt be a duh. the performance gets worse the longer the sim runs and im not looking for support with this issue. This post is to provide feedback incase anyone else was experiencing the same or maybe thinking of purchasing

Hmmm I wonder if there is some rendering or tracking going on the sim is doing when you visually see an AI aircraft and even if you leave an area its still doing....or maybe still processing the craft even when the aircraft lands and parks....

7 minutes ago, pjs37 said:

Hmmm I wonder if there is some rendering or tracking going on the sim is doing when you visually see an AI aircraft and even if you leave an area its still doing....or maybe still processing the craft even when the aircraft lands and parks....

could very well be that. At least in the P3D/FSX sims the AI only spawns in your 90 mile reality bubble. Could very well be that this sim never deletes the aircraft after you are well clear of the area. Whatever the case may be it needs to be fixed

Yes, I noticed the sim's overall performance degrades as a flight goes on and even created a thread for it a few days ago.  I had wondered if there was some type of memory leak within the game.  However, I never considered it potentially tied to AI or Live traffic (I've been running 50% AI traffic myself).  Good find.

Many times I would fly out of my hometown airport (KBNA) starting at 60fps, cruise around the city for 20 or 30 minutes, then land back at the same airport.  By the time I would land and park, my fps would be 30.  

I really hope they get this one sorted out.

I've noticed the same here, and overall I lose approximately 50% of the framerate with 50% traffic and about 80% with 100% traffic.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Yup, noticed as well.

I actually tested live and offline traffic the other day. I started from the gate at LAX, FPS were fluid and no major stutters during taxi and takeoff. Flew around for about an hour and landed back at LAX but as I approached the airport my FPS started to dropping and stutters increased. Once I landed and started my taxi the FPS got worst.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mikeklimek said:

Yes, I noticed the sim's overall performance degrades as a flight goes on and even created a thread for it a few days ago.  I had wondered if there was some type of memory leak within the game.  However, I never considered it potentially tied to AI or Live traffic (I've been running 50% AI traffic myself).  Good find.

Many times I would fly out of my hometown airport (KBNA) starting at 60fps, cruise around the city for 20 or 30 minutes, then land back at the same airport.  By the time I would land and park, my fps would be 30.  

I really hope they get this one sorted out.

yes give it a try without the traffic and see for yourself. I only stumbled upon it after landing in KSEA just tinkering with the settings reducing everything to the lowest setting and I was still at 10-12 fps. I was running 50% AI also during my session and reduced it to 10 after landing. That did nothing. Finally I just turned off AI traffic and boom I am at 50+ fps after being in the SIM for over 5 hours. The SIM seems to handle the AI Traffic just fine when first loading up and just gets worse as time goes on. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Glad its not just an isolated event in my simulator so hopefully it gets addressed.  I usually fly online but sometimes I just want to fly offline and having some traffic is nice.

Edited by environmental_ice

I think the sim gets .001% slower every time the ATC tries to remind a real world plane that it is 20000 feet above it's assigned altitude.

• Upvote 1

A better optimized, real livery traffic add-on is on top of my list of desired add-ons. That said, I think the integrated traffic works really well (apart from the missing liveries, which could be added if somebody took the time). I don't really see any performance degradation, however I lock my framerate to 30 (RTSS).

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB