Sign in to follow this  
sauviat

Is it possible to place the Community folder elsewhere?

Hi Ron, I created a Link Shell Extension. Works as well! It has to be located on both drives ie you can't delete the C drive one, otherwise you delete both:)

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Was going to open the exact same post as soon as I noticed the SIZE of the addons for this, it will require its own SSD, or many of those.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

EmaRacing, exactly the reason why I raised the question. it's something that has to be resolved with a form of folder management.

Martin

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

56 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Not sure why but mine is placed at O:\Michael\Community

Is "O" a drive you have given the name to?

Did you install from the dvds?

Martin

Martin Parr

31 minutes ago, sauviat said:

Is "O" a drive you have given the name to?

Did you install from the dvds?

Martin

Yes "O" is my installation drive.

No i installed to this drive from Microsoft Store 

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Thanks Michael. The boxed version is the issue here. But it is possible to have the Community folder linked to another drive, but you cannot delete the original on, or you will lose both!

Martin Parr

1 hour ago, sauviat said:

Thanks Michael. The boxed version is the issue here. But it is possible to have the Community folder linked to another drive, but you cannot delete the original on, or you will lose both!

Check out this little program https://foldermove.com/

It seems to do what was described to move a folder and all it's contents and then symbolic link it.

• Like 1

James

Phantoms, this looks interesting and I need to know that when you populate the folder on the second drive, that it does not also populate the original folder, eg taking up space on both folders and not just the second folder?

As I have now installed link Shell Extension, using a Junction (as it's a folder and not a file) both become populated and that defeats the object of the exercise ie populate only my D Drive and not the C Drive as well.

I want to delete/remove the junction, but I cannot find the the folder called "LinkToFolder". At present if I delete something in the Community folder on my D Drive, it also deletes the same item in the Community folder on the C Drive. Thus, there is a danger that if I delete the whole folder in D I will lose the same folder on the C Drive!#

I really do now have to break that link, in order to move forward.

Martin

Martin Parr

Since installing Link Shell Extension, I have now found that in Windows Explorer, in the LH column, by right clicking any folder/file, Windows Explorer does a CTD! This does not happen in the RH folder.

On doing some googling there is an issue with a corrupt .dll file somewhere. Now I do need to know how to delete the link between my folders, so that I can uninstall link Shell Extension.

Open to suggestions, please?

Martin

Bit the bullet and uninstalled link Shell Extension. Folders on C and D are in place, but both populate:( Windows Explorer continues to CTD from the LH column).

Edited by sauviat
Update

Martin Parr

Microsoft will allow you to move the Community folder anywhere on your computer as long as it's not to a location where it's not already located. MS is good like that.

@desbean Have you the boxed version? Yes I have found you can move it, but both folders populate with the same items.

Martin

Martin Parr

I am probably mistaken, happens often, but when I installed MSFS2020 on my F drive (from the MS store) , I noticed that a duplicate folder structure was created on my C: drive (with no files).  I think MS uses those folders which are linked to the actual folders wherever you installed\moved your installed copy. I have a community folder on both my C and F drives, but actual files reside on the F drive. I can see disk space go down on the install drive when something new is put in the F drive community folder even though the new content shows up in the C drive community folder also. This could not be more convoluted.

@rwilsonlj Different approaches as I have the boxed installation, but both folders populate, so defeats the object of reducing space on one.

Martin

Martin Parr

On 9/12/2020 at 2:58 AM, sauviat said:

Currently the Community folder is within MSFSPackages Folder. I have the boxed version of MSFS and there was no choice to install the dvd content elsewhere. I am sure all of us can see that there is a downside to the Community folder, in that everything made by others is placed there, thus the folder has many items in it. Overtime it will become unmanageable, as there is nothing to separate liveries, airplanes, airports, fixes and uncle tom cobley and all!

Is it possible to say take the Community Folder out of that directory tree, in C drive and place it in D drive, where all my MSFS on-line content was installed?

The absolute easiest way to get around this problem is to use one of the several addon management programs that are available out there.

Over on flightsim.to are a couple of nice addon managers, namely MSFS Addon Collector or MSFS Addons Linker. They take the worry out of having to create symbolic links, and even allow you to "selectively load" addons, in case your PC is dragged down by too many addons.

Imagine the luxury of being able to load just the addons that you need for your next flight, and having them deleted (but still available to use again) once the flight is finished.

MSFS Addon Collector has a small manual to help you over the rough edges, while MSFS Addons Linker is supported by several tutorial videos on YouTube.

They both offer so much more, but I'll leave it for you to find out just wnat else they offer.

And they're FREE!