Sign in to follow this  
VFXSimmer

Yosemite Valley scenery - photogrammetry creation

3 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

You may know this already, but Asobo have stated that flagging something as "solved" in Zendesk just means that they have acknowledged it and added it to their internal backlog.  It doesn't mean they've actually done anything with it yet.

A little confusing, but that's how they're doing it.

I am aware 🙂

4 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

I suspect its the GPU memory then.  Best way to test is to try with the 4k version, and then try with JUST El Cap and Half Dome.

If you turn on Dev mode, you can activate the FPS counter which also shows GPU memory.

If this works, then the fix is easy - I can output versions with downrez'd maps

got the 4k version...MUCH better!  However when i run it full screen (on a 55 inch 4k monitor at 4k)...it only manages 12-14 frames and eats just about all the vram.  When I scale the screen down to about 1/3 that size...this is what I get:   (in other, standard scenery areas I get around 30 FPS in full screen)

3HUlW6.jpg

6EMFwP.jpg

iM7FFc.jpg

a3Ennt.jpg

X7bqh0.jpg

In my opinion...the scenery is quite stunning...even at 4k vs 16k...I'd venture to say that I'd just do 4k, give everyone some more headroom, and that gives you more to create on the same "budget" 😉

Love your work!  Please keep feeding us hungry VFR simmers looking for stunning places to fly!

Edited by Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Took her down to the canyon floor, laid on the grass for a bit after testing...its hard work! 🤣

tqmBdp.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

44 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

got the 4k version...MUCH better!  However when i run it full screen (on a 55 inch 4k monitor at 4k)...it only manages 12-14 frames and eats just about all the vram.  When I scale the screen down to about 1/3 that size...this is what I get:   (in other, standard scenery areas I get around 30 FPS in full screen)

3HUlW6.jpg

6EMFwP.jpg

iM7FFc.jpg

a3Ennt.jpg

X7bqh0.jpg

In my opinion...the scenery is quite stunning...even at 4k vs 16k...I'd venture to say that I'd just do 4k, give everyone some more headroom, and that gives you more to create on the same "budget" 😉

Love your work!  Please keep feeding us hungry VFR simmers looking for stunning places to fly!

Interesting.  I am by no means an expert, but if your reduce the screen size and get 45 fps it sounds like it is a graphics card issue (and it does say limited by GPU on your FPS counter).  

BTW, the models in this version that are still using the "OLD method" still have 8k maps.  I'll kick out another "4k" that downres's EVERYTHING to use for now because it will be a while before I can rework all of those areas with my new technique.

Eventually when its all done I think I'll release 2 versions - a 4k that gives the headroom and a full res (16k) for people with 3000 series cards and enough VRAM.  The 16k does REALLLLLY look good when you're up close and my dream is to virtually 'walk' around the park once VR hits.

Is super easy to give everyone an option to chose a resolution that works for each situation.  Glad to know that the map res helps you in a positive way Steve.  Should be able to get there with something that plays smoothly on your system once its all done!

Thanks again!

I have not downloaded the new US upgrade. Does the scenery work without this download?

Thanks,

19 minutes ago, mikegrr said:

I have not downloaded the new US upgrade. Does the scenery work without this download?

Thanks,

Thats a great question.  I did have to make minor adjustments to the model for blends at the edges caused by the terrain height map change of the world update.  To be honest, since I have downloaded the patch I dont have a way of checking if its still compatible.

Give it a shot?  If it doesnt work you can always remove it.  Let me know how it looks.