Sign in to follow this  
VFXSimmer

Yosemite Valley scenery - photogrammetry creation

It looks awesome! Just flew across it, and used the drone to have a look. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

FYI - I just updated the version to 1.1.2

There was a typo in one of the header files that caused the previous version to hang the content manager.  This was only the case in the full 16k version (vfxsimmermods-yosemite-valley.zip).

If you downloaded that one, please update to the new version to correct the issue.

manifest.json was missing a comma.  My bad - I hadn't used the content manager up to this point so didnt catch it.  Will make add that as part of my pre-release testing regimen from now on 🙂

I downlaoded the medium file 4k  and in my mafs content manager it says version 0.2.0 is that correct  and the most up to date for the 4k? 

Any why cant things just be labeled as version 1 , 2 ,3,4,5,6, etc etc... I am old fashioned I guess..

9 minutes ago, AmeliaCat said:

I downlaoded the medium file 4k  and in my mafs content manager it says version 0.2.0 is that correct  and the most up to date for the 4k? 

Any why cant things just be labeled as version 1 , 2 ,3,4,5,6, etc etc... I am old fashioned I guess..

The version numbering is totally my bad.  The interface was confusing when I made version 1.0 ... I thought that's what I was entering but it ended up being 0.1.0

The CORRECT latest version is 1.1.2.   I wont make that error again 😉.    Next version will probably be 1.2.0 when I finish Half Dome.

Amelia, you can version up if you like, but version 0.2.0 with the 4k didn't have the problem so you are good for now

no worries comment really want directed at but at MS and asobo for 1.8.3 to 1.9.4 or wherever we are now,, it just makes no sense unless its for internal incompany updates or something...i think ill try version up , why not,,

I can tell on my non 4k if 16k looks better than 4k lol,,,still a great improvement.

Any chance you'll do the Grand Canyon next ..hehe

16 hours ago, AmeliaCat said:

Any why cant things just be labeled as version 1 , 2 ,3,4,5,6, etc etc...

Not to get off track, but semantic versioning is a very useful thing.   For non-developers, the basic idea is that you have three figures (A.B.C) and you can always tell how "big" a change is by noting which number changed.

Quoting that website:

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
  2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards compatible manner, and
  3. PATCH version when you make backwards compatible bug fixes.

This is really useful, for example, when you're using a library that releases a new version -- you know that if it's a patch version there won't be anything truly new, a minor version introduces new things but can still be used with existing code, and a major version will probably take changes to your own code to make it work.   It's not directly analogous, but that's roughly the model we've been roughly following, for example, with the WT G1000.  If I come out with a 0.3.2 people can instantly tell that it's not likely to have any new features but just fix bugs in 0.3.1.  Similarly, if it increments the first number it's likely to be a revolutionary upgrade.

It might not be quite as relevant for scenery, but that's why you might see it with scenery, too.

although it sounds like in this case it was an accident.  🙂

20 minutes ago, VFRflier said:

the granite on the re-worked scenery is just amazing to see... truly immersive

Thanks!  Half Dome is well underway too.  Hopefully in another couple of weeks depending on what time my day job and significant other (not necessarily in that order 😉 ) allows.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:38 PM, AmeliaCat said:

I have the medium file as well and it is fantastic.  It doesn't stress my 6GB card too much at 1080p.  I'm glad you provided options for those of us with lower resolutions (never thought I'd consider 1080p low res) to enjoy the product without wasting processing power on textures we can't yet fully appreciate.

18 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

I have the medium file as well and it is fantastic.  It doesn't stress my 6GB card too much at 1080p.  I'm glad you provided options for those of us with lower resolutions (never thought I'd consider 1080p low res) to enjoy the product without wasting processing power on textures we can't yet fully appreciate.

Glad to hear wthomas.  I'll release of couple of versions of the final full valley once its done.  TBH, I'm not sure I can maintain 16k for all of the areas anyway.  Each one is 16x the memory of the 4k and I'll probably run out of VRAM budget for the 2080.  I'll master them all at 16k anyway so there'll be options for the 3090.

42 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Glad to hear wthomas.  I'll release of couple of versions of the final full valley once its done.  TBH, I'm not sure I can maintain 16k for all of the areas anyway.  Each one is 16x the memory of the 4k and I'll probably run out of VRAM budget for the 2080.  I'll master them all at 16k anyway so there'll be options for the 3090.

I have downloaded the the 4K version which drops my 2060 to 20fps in places but it looks pretty amazing. Still ...  no 16K for me 😄

I am looking forward to the animated bears and waterfalls !

1 minute ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I have downloaded the the 4K version which drops my 2060 to 20fps in places but it looks pretty amazing. Still ...  no 16K for me 😄

I am looking forward to the animated bears and waterfalls !

You should actually see an improvement when I replace the rest of the version 1.0 material with the new technique.  The geo is much more efficient.  Working like the wind 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

You should actually see an improvement when I replace the rest of the version 1.0 material with the new technique.  The geo is much more efficient.  Working like the wind 😉

I agree.  I get a similar slowdown at times, but it's nowhere near El Capitan.  That is butter smooth.  The drop in FPS starts in just as you approach Half Dome and the North side of the valley running by Half Dome.  You have an awful lot of polys there if I am not mistaken so that affects it. 

Also if you run in the area at LOD 200, it's going to basically try to load the entire valley at once and hits my main thread like a hammer (CPU).  Dropping LOD down to 100 really doesn't effect visuals in the valley too much and doesn't hit your CPU all at once.  Much MUCH smoother at 100 LOD, and when you're slow and low, 100 LOD is plenty.