Sign in to follow this  
VFXSimmer

Yosemite Valley scenery - photogrammetry creation

I'm running an ANCIENT 6700K (waiting on the new 3xxx 20G card to upgrade the sim box) and am very satisfied with my performance at Yosemite.  No difference from prior to the mod... and the difference in visuals are stunning... waited all day to go back to Yosemite, and see the shadows lengthen amidst the canyon walls and outcroppings... breathtaking in the sim now!

C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Coop, my 6700K is continues to surprise me with its excellent performance in just about every game/sim. Before getting MSFS I was concerned I may have performance problems with my system, 6700, 1070Ti, 32 gig ram. Not at all! On mostly high settings, everything has been butter smooth barring a an occasional stutter. Like you, I’ll be looking for a new Nvidia card soon, but overall I’m pleasantly surprised with how well my system is handling this sim.

Top is stock Yosemite falls from the North rim of the valley, bottom is the new Yosemite of this thread. not sure of the version but the file is vfxsimmermods-yosemite-valley_t1a4F

edit: screenshot from my 1080p monitor, higher res would look better....OSNrg17.jpg

2ZoTzS7.jpg

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

A youtube video snapshot....

sA1K5e8.jpg

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

We live close to Yosemite and in a rainy year about 20 times more water is going over this falls than these sceneries, like 2 years ago heavy rains in Eastern California. You could get drenched in the parking lot from the vapor.

This is just the lower half of Yosemite falls, and its a very good but not the best year or water flow of Merced River.

IMG_1041-1200x800.jpg

My eventual goal is to work with the particle effects as soon as Asobo releases documentation and hookups for in the the SDK.  I am totally with you that Yosemite is woefully incomplete until the falls are properly represented.

As for Fielder's first image, that looks correct as far as the latest version is concerned.  I have NOT updated the falls yet in the way I have done El Capitan.  They will get the same treatment once I've finished with Half Dome's rework.

The upper falls will take some extra special "love" because they arent really captured well in google maps.  I've found some point cloud data from a lidar scan and may try to wrestle that into something useable.  If you live near the park and are willing to take a bunch of photos of the upper falls for me, I'll happily use them when I rework that area.

I love the park - live in Socal so dont get to see it quite as often as I'd like so I want to see it well represented in the sim to 'virtually visit'.  This should be really fun when VR comes out.  Looking forward to landing in the cub and doing some virtual hikes 😉

• Like 3

Man, just as an aside on this... I watched that documentary about the Climber who free soloed up El Cap. Can't imagine. Wild stuff. 

"Free Solo" - great doc!  Even though you know he makes it, you're on the edge of your seat the whole time.  

Below is a map of his route.  As I was building this latest update I checked it out with the showcase camera.  There are enough of the landmarks in the texture to follow it.  Another reason that I am looking forward to the VR release 😉

... and yes .. I KNOW its a flight sim - hehe.  But why bother flying to a place if you cant pretend to get out and smell the roses 😉

378028648_Image10-5-20at9_37AM.thumb.jpeg.d7d538355014262ebc62d00a202f6514.jpeg

• Like 1

This is fantastic. Would be interesting to make the Steve Fossett crash site a POI and run the weather from that day....

we overflew that site 3 times and never found him, until a hiker off trail next season spotted some cash on the ground that led to the engine.

• Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I'm a stereo photography fan and use 35 mm roll film  that I can't digitize. I have exactly one old crappy digital camera. This is a terrible drought year and the falls are poor. I have hiked up to the top of Yosemite falls often there is an overlook, you can get right on top and look straight down from the top. It's only over 2 miles long but was created I think in the late 1800s and they did not use mild switchbacks in those days. It is very steep.

Taking your time and photographing it is still a half day hike. Half that if you go out for speed and and in good shape. There are 2 or 3 places where the falls are right in front of you. Once at the top you can do a left turn and go to  the top of El Capitan. Or you can hike to the top of El Cap from Tammarck and that is not steep uphill because it does not  start from the Valley floor.

Taking the (paid) bus trip to the top of Glacier point, from there you can get  a good view of Yosemite falls, Nevada Fall, and Vernal Fall all in the same view. And also from there you can hike (all downhill !) down to the floor with really spectacular views of Yosemite Falls all the way down, but it is on the other side of the valley. You also go right by Nevada Fall on that downhill hike. However there is a couple of vertigo spots on that hike and it too is one of the 2 old ancient hikes in the park with steep switchbacks instead of the modern milder gradient hikes. But is not tiring being downhill.

I am using the Game pass version of msfs  , can I still install custom scenery ?  and if so how is there a tutorial on avsimm ?  thanks

18 minutes ago, AmeliaCat said:

I am using the Game pass version of msfs  , can I still install custom scenery ?  and if so how is there a tutorial on avsimm ?  thanks

Here's a quick video that explains how

• Like 1

So it goes in the same folder as liveries,, weird... anyways I got it instlled and flewaround looks good but I am getting weird triangle trees and triangle shaped mesh textures on the rock faces,,  i downloaded the 4 k medium package but i dont have 4k card or display so maybe thats causin it ?  I have a 1070 gtx and 20 gb ram  i get 45 fps flying through yosemite but the textures weird definitly better than stock but i wonder if my non 4k setup is the issue,  good work though i like it ,

18 minutes ago, AmeliaCat said:

So it goes in the same folder as liveries,, weird... anyways I got it instlled and flewaround looks good but I am getting weird triangle trees and triangle shaped mesh textures on the rock faces,,  i downloaded the 4 k medium package but i dont have 4k card or display so maybe thats causin it ?  I have a 1070 gtx and 20 gb ram  i get 45 fps flying through yosemite but the textures weird definitly better than stock but i wonder if my non 4k setup is the issue,  good work though i like it ,

The only part that has been updated with my "new method" is El Capitan (the big giant cliff in the screen shots by Steve Dra and cavaricooper).  The other parts will get the same treatment (including removing the triangle trees - I hate them too - lol) as I make my way around.

ok good to know its not issue on my end then,, I could tell from a distance as i flew into the valley that it llooked alot better,