Sign in to follow this  
MM

The Outer Banks (Wednesday Flight)

The Outer Banks_KILM-KFFA
For Wednesday, September 16, 2020

We shall spend a relaxing afternoon to take a look at the Outer Banks in MSFS. These low-lying barrier islands are a spectacular sight. And nowadays, many of the islands are packed with vacation homes that serve the visitors who flock to the legendary white sand beaches.

First, the southern beaches that attract the biggest crowds. We start at Wilmington International [WILM], bend toward the Atlantic to take a look at the more commercial beaches of Wrightsville and Topsail, and then land at the Marine Corps Outlying Field Camp Davis [14NC]. Then back to the shore to see North Topsail Beach and the less developed coastline before approaching Emerald Isle. We execute a Touch-and-Go on the mainland at Marine Corps Alternate Landing Field Bogue [KNJM]. (The USMC has been unbelievably helpful for our plans.) We continue along Bogue Sound, inside Emerald Isle, before landing at Beaufort's Smith Field [KMRH].

Second, the Outer Banks proper. Departing from Beaufort, we dogleg over Cape Lookout itself and turn north along the pristine Cape Lookout National Seashore. We land at Ocracoke Island [W95], once the home of Blackbeard and other pirates and for many years a center for ship's pilots who navigated the difficult inlets into Pamlico Sound. (This is also the home of the famous Wild Ponies of Ocracoke, whose breed stems from shipwrecked captains' abandoning their equine cargo.)  Then to Hatteras Island's Mitchell Field [KHSE]. The larger southern half of the island houses Hatteras village as well as the famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (not in default MSFS).  (The constantly moving sand bars that extend out around Cape Hatteras, Cape Lookout, and Cape Fear south of Wilmington proved dangerous to the sailing ships that gathered along these coasts to catch the prevailing Gulf Stream winds back to Europe. Hundreds of shipwrecks gave this region the name "Graveyard of the Atlantic.")

We continue northward along Hatteras Island, passing over the popular tourist communities mixed with ranges of protected National Seashore, to end our journey at Kill Devil Hills' First Flight Airport [KFFA]. A sixty-foot monument and useful museum mark this site of Orville and Wilbur Wright's first powered heavier-than-air flight. (Kitty Hawk, just north, was the post office that gave its name to the Wrights' scene of success.)

Aircraft (Suggested): The route is 198nm and will work best with aircraft capable of about 150kts. Say the SR22, Bonanza, Caravan, or Baron. As ever, fly what you like!
Simulator Time
(Suggested for Departure): 1400 Local.
Flight Plan: Here.

Multiplayer Details
Departure Time: Wednesday 1800 UTC
Voice Communication: RTWR TeamSpeak
Multiplayer Setting: ALL PLAYERS. Server: EAST USA.

• Upvote 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I've just done the first two stops. Inspired choice of route. I won't do any more.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Agree, this route shows off MSFS very well, and the Bonanza with the Community mods is actually a great plane to fly! 🙂

If you feel that it is still slightly underpowered, you can send it in for a Maintenance overhaul, and it will fly "like new"..

In the Community mods, locate the engines.cfg file and make this change:

[PISTON_ENGINE]
power_scalar = 1.1 ; Piston power scalar .. was 1.0

Bert

7 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Nice one Bert. Now for the B58. What's wrong with that one? 🙂

What is wrong... that I did not purchase it.. that is what is wrong 😉

Bert

No, it's a default plane. I was being a bit jovial. Like, there is something wrong with everything in MSFS so no reason why there's nothing wrong with the B58. God, I hate explaining jokes. 😁

MSFS???  I didn't read the route description thoroughly (as usual) and assumed this was a P3D flight. Turns out just about all of these airports are part of the ORBX freeware pack and since I have never flown in this area I am going to fly it in P3D anyway. I don't think we can join with JoinFs but I will get on Teamspeak. I want to hear you guys cursing at your avionics, FDEs, and autopilots as I enjoy the autumn colors in my A2A Comanche. :biggrin:

Ted

mumbles under breath (I gotta get that new computer built)

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

20 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

No, it's a default plane. I was being a bit jovial.

One man's default plane is another man's "Why did I only buy the Standard Edition" 🙂

• Like 1

Bert

37 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

One man's default plane is another man's "Why did I only buy the Standard Edition" 🙂

Ah. Of course. I'd forgotten. 🙁

(Wednesday). Looks like a huge mandatory MSFS patch. May be some delays for some pilots. (Including me.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1