Sign in to follow this  
Moritz92

Fuel Pumps switch off

Who switches them off in the relevant SOP's?

Ah, OK I found the other thread,  I'm using SOP1.  The PNF used to switch the centre pumps off when the centre tanks were empty.  Now he doesn't.  Is that intentional and which is accordance with the proper procedure?

Edited by ailchim

NAX3142.png                                  ngxu_banner.png

14 minutes ago, ailchim said:

Who switches them off in the relevant SOP's?

Ah, OK I found the other thread,  I'm using SOP1.  The PNF used to switch the centre pumps off when the centre tanks were empty.  Now he doesn't.  Is that intentional and which is accordance with the proper procedure?

It's intentional because it caused a problem with another procedure, which another user complained about.

However, in real-life, I highly doubt the FO/PM would just arbitrarily turn off the fuel pumps by himself anyway in a 737.

There would no doubt be a confirmation involving the Capt.

I'm not sure if the Boeing manuals say anything about this... Maybe someone who flies a 737 here can chime in.

Well, the PNF seems to handle just about everything on the Overhead Panel and whilst what happens now is that the PNF ignores a warning light in the entirely routine situation when the centre tanks have routinely run empty.  And he does call it out: "Centre Fuel Pumps Going Off" so the PF has a chance to check what's happening.

I'm not sure what procedure the complaining user was following in which the centre pumps were going on, off and on again, but my understanding has always been that the centre tanks are filled last and only if needed and if it has fuel in it, ithe centre tank is always run to exhaustion first.  I think it's to minimise wing bending moment and stresses on the wing roots and also to avoid the need to pump fuel out of the centre tank into the wings if the next flight doesn't need to use the centre tank at all.

NAX3142.png                                  ngxu_banner.png

I have seen few case in my company that the captain reach to turn off the fuel pump while been PF, Just bcasue it's easier for him to reach when the Master Caution lited up...Of course in our SOP is PM's job