Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Vista + ATI RTM Drivers + FSX = HOLY COW!

So how did I completely miss this post, for the last two days? I'm stumped! :-hmmm L.Adamson

Guest smarti05

>Mike, are you the same fellow who made violent diatribes>about FS X and anybody who was already satisfied with it>before you came to the same conclusion?>>Don't you now think that you could have held off on the>agressive behavior until you had reached these results?>>While I am certainly happy that you have joined the majority>of us who, while finding definite performance problems with FS>X, still have been able to get much enjoyment from it, I do>wish that all who have shown such violence would have also>shown more restraint.>>All in all, though, congratulations and many wishes for your>enjoyment of the game.>>Best regards.>>LuisI think the truth is that the a lot of the people complaining, myself included were/are genuinely having an awful time with fsx and this should not be compared with the 'it doesnt run very well on my system' scenario, i believe these to be two different cases all together. I now think i have got to the level that most of the 'tweakers' were at at the beginning and if i had not had vista rc2 and the latest ati drivers i would still be there.So i think some of the gripers have a very validate point that needs to be heard over the 'noise' in my case there appears to be a 'bug' when running under xp that causes the sim to run very badly (using an ati card), this is why some of the strong fealings came about it was all a missunderstanding but there are very valid arguements on both sides.It would be great if all this personal conflict could be put to bed and a solution to what i rightly or wrongly perceive to be an ati driver issue with fsx under windows xp, who knows maybe someone somewhere is doing something, you never know.regards

Hi Luis:I'll assume that english is not your first language so I'll correct you on your usage of "violence". Violence is the PHYSICAL act of causing injury...I don't believe that I got around to beating anyone up during the course of the last few weeks.Secondly: "Don't you now think that you could have held off on the agressive behavior until you had reached these results?"Again..."agressive"? Okay, in any respect, don't make the mistake that I'm satisfied in any way shape or form. I'm happy I got the thing running and finally seeing some potential but did you actually read my post? There still is significant stuttering, many areas in which I need to fly are still unflyable, and I have a MEGA system that barely can run the sim at the level that 'I' require! Should I be jumping for joy while so many are still suffering with high end systems? That would be awefully selfish of me. Let's not get all warm and fuzzy; I'm not willing to take warm showers with you until the wee hours of the morning just yet Luis. For your information, I'm NOT getting "much enjoyment" out of it. I'm geting "much tweaking" out of it (which I don't particularly enjoy). And there still is a long way to go. There is ENORMOUS potential there with FSX but its gonna be a LONG time before I get "much enjoyment" out of it in the manner in which I'm used to with FS9.I'm pleased to see promise with FSX and Vista, but let's hold off on the congrates until I can fly a PMDG 747-400 into a detailed KEWR in overcast conditions and get more than 2 FPS! That is the type of flying I am interested in and it cannot be done yet. Right now I'm still seeing up to 15 second pauses for weather loads, turning off the autogen to look at the beautiful 7cm textures ALSO turns OFF the airport buildings (which no one bothered to point out), and there are also lots of stutters when loading textures. AND there are many in this community who can't even get THAT level of performance and they count TOO! So until ALL of that is resolved, let's not hold hands and stroll lovingly off into the sunset just yet.

:-lol! Better read my post to Young Luis above. I'm not ready to take warm showers until the wee hours of the morning with you either! :-badteeth

Guest RGH

Hi Mike.Thank you for the Interesting post,It is nice to hear good news.I will wait for the official relese now with great expectations.All the Best.Rex.

I am sitting with my mouth open reading your comment. You are not considering yourself as part of the "have nots". Are you? Look at your system buddy!

after applying all the tweaks im getting good frame rates in FSX using the PMDG 737 series.Yes Good, not Excellent or Awesome. So i mean 'acceptable'

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Hey Mike-turning off autogen should not turn off your airport buildings-did you turn up your scenery complexity to max?http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search...and I don't care if it works....no warm showers with me.....edit-my airport with and without autogen-red line is my hangar :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160517.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160518.jpg

Guest imoz

I'm also really happy with FSX now after some upgrades. I did try it on Vista RC2 but I couldn't get sound out of my Creative sound card, so I reloaded XP Professional.I originally had:AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (the original one from I think a year ago)DFI LanParty Ultra-D nForce 4 mobo2GB (4x512MB) PNY DDR PC-3500 RAMI just upgraded to:Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4Ghz, overclocked to 3.19GHzDFI Infinity 975X/G mobo2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS2-6400 DDR2-800 RAM2x250GB Maxtor SATA drives in RAID 0Big Typhoon CPU coolerMy graphics card is a BFG 7800GT-OC 256MB PCI-Express.I play at 1920x1080 on my living room pc / 37" flat panel TV. With the original setup, I was getting 3-5fps with sliders on High, autogen on high, etc. and I could get about 10fps by turning some sliders down, terrain complexity down etc.With the new setup, I get 20fps (locked) in cities and rural with the sliders all on High and ultrahigh, light bloom turned off, autogen on normal, cars/boats/airplanes on 20%, ground shadows enabled, etc.I can bring the system to its knees to 5fps in NYC if I turn _everything_ up to Ultra High, terrain settings maxed out, light bloom turned on, etc. It does look totally cool, but honestly after backing the settings off to improve the fps again it still looks really cool, I didn't have to back them off a lot to regain the fps, mostly just autogen and AI traffic/cars/etc. need to be managed. If I could get my mobo to overclock more and get 3.6-3.8Ghz out of the chip I bet I could turn a couple features back on. I plan to upgrade my graphics card maybe to the Nvidia 8800GTX coming out next week, but I don't feel the game needs it, I think it needs more gigahertz more than more GPU.As it stands, I feel it is truly an amazing experience, to me at least it blows FS9 out of the water.

Guest Tingoose

Oh no Mike. . . . you've turned into a leg of lamb. . .baaaah, baaah;)

Guest smarti05

>I'm also really happy with FSX now after some upgrades. I>did try it on Vista RC2 but I couldn't get sound out of my>Creative sound card, so I reloaded XP Professional.>>I originally had:>AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (the original one from I think a year>ago)>DFI LanParty Ultra-D nForce 4 mobo>2GB (4x512MB) PNY DDR PC-3500 RAM>>I just upgraded to:>Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4Ghz, overclocked to 3.19GHz>DFI Infinity 975X/G mobo>2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS2-6400 DDR2-800 RAM>2x250GB Maxtor SATA drives in RAID 0>Big Typhoon CPU cooler>>My graphics card is a BFG 7800GT-OC 256MB PCI-Express.>>I play at 1920x1080 on my living room pc / 37" flat panel TV. >With the original setup, I was getting 3-5fps with sliders on>High, autogen on high, etc. and I could get about 10fps by>turning some sliders down, terrain complexity down etc.>>With the new setup, I get 20fps (locked) in cities and rural>with the sliders all on High and ultrahigh, light bloom turned>off, autogen on normal, cars/boats/airplanes on 20%, ground>shadows enabled, etc.>>>As it stands, I feel it is truly an amazing experience, to me>at least it blows FS9 out of the water.Thanks, for this, sounds like (as i suspected) cpu is the way to go, now i'm stuck may have to go for a core2 hopefully the prices will settle a bit more, was it any good at standard clocks or was it the overclocking that did the biggest change, i'm not to comfortable overclocking, permanantly anyway and my 4800x2 wont flippin oc at all.anyway thanks for the infoedit: sorry meant to ask, have you reduced the autogen defaults at all or is this a bog standard fresh install? ...... goes of to check bank account......

Guest tdragger

Actually at the resolution he's running at they should. See Phil Taylor's post on the subject.

Thanks Mike for all the information. It must me great to be a Microsoft MSDN Universal member. I always look forward to your reviews. I am also looking forward to the new Vista operating system.Stelios

Stelios Christofides