Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

This probably won't cure controllers turning off...

... but since I did this none of my 4 controllers suddenly stopped working in MSFS like they very occasionally did before, maybe one flight out of a twenty some controller or axis was dead. Problem has not reoccurred for 2  days now after doing this.

Turned off all 22 allowances for Windows to shut down USB devices (I'm not sure why Windows had to install so many (22) USB devices for headset, keyboard, mouse, and 4 flight controllers).

I unchecked the box in these 22 lines in device manager for "allow computer to turn off this device" (In Power Management tab).

I don't think this was the issue, but it was worth doing, just in case.

1WaIoKs.jpgozzAkes.jpg

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Im having similar problem. Since the last patch my Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle is sometimes not working in MFS. When I exit MFS and go to the Thrustmaster Calibration app it shows it there but none of the Controls are active. I have to reboot and then it is working again.

Another bug in MFS. At first I thought its was a USB boot error I have had those and solved them by turning off the computer and switching usb connections with another port. I those cases Windows could not find that controller. In this case the controller is still showing up in Windows with all the buttons and axis there but they do not respond to input.

So may be MFS is turning them off like you think. 

So many bugs I worry this game might go down in flames. We need to see some sort of Light at the end of the tunnel. I hope the next updates will solve more problems than its creates.

Regards

Edited by Denwagg

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

If the controller is not active in Windows, you certainly can't blame an application running on WIndows (MSFS) for that.  Windows 8 was notorious for disconnecting HID controllers...I've not seen it on Win 10, but I do note that every major Windows version update and even some of the monthly updates have turned those power management options back on without asking.

The OP's observation about the power management tab on the USB ports and devices is correct--if "Allow the computer to tun off this device to save power" is selected/checked, after a period of inactivity Windows, not MSFS, will depower that device, and you'll more than likely not be able to get it back in the current sim session.

Another common problem is USB ports that can't sink enough current without the voltage drooping so far that the device can't run or remain stable.  I think the design load of a non-charging USB port is only 500ma--there are lots of devices that really need more than that.  A powered USB hub is the first line of defense in that case.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yes but after a  while i sometimes see them re-enabled again which also is  a pain.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I was plagued by this since using FDS throttle quadrant and system boards. The best solution I found was directly in the registry by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB and then finding my USB ID and disabling the setting but an easier way round is.

WARNING do not do this unless you understand the risks of manually editing the registry, ensure you have backed it up before making changes also. 

search the registry for EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled, usually the setting is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB for windows 10 64bit registry

set this to a 0 (zero) 

next find SelectiveSuspendEnabled and set that to 0 (zero)   

alternatively I have a little program which does this for you but you need to know the 4 digit USB vendor ID, you can get that from FSUIPC scan joysticks 

http://uraster.com/en-us/products/usbenhancedpowermanagerdisabler.aspx

Edited by kand

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

Another common problem is USB ports that can't sink enough current without the voltage drooping so far that the device can't run or remain stable.  I think the design load of a non-charging USB port is only 500ma--there are lots of devices that really need more than that.  A powered USB hub is the first line of defense in that case.

My usb hub is runs on external power 

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

There's a program for the Logitech/Saitek Flight Panels at http://uraster.com/en-us/products/usbenhancedpowermanagerdisabler.aspx

But I found another solution is to keep all the controllers on a powered USB hub such as this. I keep this hub up on the back corner of my desk and if I can power off and back on each device plugged into it.  An example is my Logitech Multi Panel which the display powers down. Once MSFS is running I can simply cycle the power for that port and it's working fine again.

• Like 1

James

6 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

There's a program for the Logitech/Saitek Flight Panels at http://uraster.com/en-us/products/usbenhancedpowermanagerdisabler.aspx

But I found another solution is to keep all the controllers on a powered USB hub such as this. I keep this hub up on the back corner of my desk and if I can power off and back on each device plugged into it.  An example is my Logitech Multi Panel which the display powers down. Once MSFS is running I can simply cycle the power for that port and it's working fine again.

Yup been doing that or years works well a powered hub is a good thing thanks for link forgot the name for that software - like it a lot

Rich Sennett