Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

DHC2 Beaver (Freeware Planes)...at Stewart (BC)...

I happened to catch sight of these two nice Freeware Aircraft, today, and took them out to my (virtual) Summer Resort Airport...🙂...Stewart (British Columbia), CZST, a charming locality tucked away in the middle of the beautiful mountains, near the Pacific Coastline of British Columbia (and, for me, this is a local (Orbx) scenery, I've not visited in a year maybe, but, always, aware of it...). Also, this post is a bit of a follow-up to my (previous) de Havilland / de Havilland Canada post, this DHC2 model, here, being one of the first (and most) successful utility bush-aircraft produced by DHC, as part of their post-WWII civilian fleet initiative, that found world-wide use and renown in STOL and Search & Rescue applications...

For those who are not native Alaskans, like I am, Stewart is a picturesque little town, at the head of the Portland Canal, in northwestern British Columbia, near the Alaskan panhandle (that curious southeastern extension of Alaska, containing Juneau). The town is set against beautiful and towering mountain peaks, with literally hundreds of scenic lakes and cascading waterfalls. The Portland Canal, here, was first discovered (and named) by (Captain) George Vancouver, who, we know, had explored much of North America's northwestern Pacific Coast regions (1791-1795). Stewart featured prominently in the history of gold prospecting (and mining) in this region. As a (trivial) side note, I learned today that some of the scenes from the movie, "Eight Below" (that I'd seen years ago, in 2006, the year of production) were filmed around this town (the movie, a drama, I recall...was a bit hard to take in parts, involves a gripping survival story about a group of sled dogs and their guide).

Anyway, please find, below, a set of SIM pictures from around my (virtual) Stewart, as I explore the vicinity, with two freeware DHC2-Beaver models, that I picked up today, from the Library (one with "small" wheels and the other with big "Tundra" wheels)...I've mixed up the times of the day for a cumulative experience.

I have Aerosoft's (nice) DHC2, probably, one of my very first acquisitions form AS, if not the first....but, did enjoy these (freeware) models, here, for my use. These (DHC2-Beaver) aircraft (P3Dv5 compatible, please verify) are by (prolific) Contributor A.F.Scrub (I've always had the greatest regard for such individuals, the true aviation enthusiasts)...!

Hope you enjoy these images and thanks for viewing...!!

And, of course, all the best with progress of resolution for the issues with MSFS...!!!

[Orbx(Pacific-Fjords/CZST), REX]

Txo9hF.png

vxjlbb.png

LpXKQp.png

kiQ4pP.png

auslFs.png

XMuaAv.png

x2fGKE.png

mme3pE.png

wgiyuP.png

z6dZVj.png

SziIYu.png

vzjRNi.png

KAkb8I.png

I7zXbw.png

ZbULeO.png

nNLZOS.png

a6mrtf.png

ClZZkw.png

QmvD9X.png

Kcge4b.png

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Enjoyed the look around. Fifth from the bottom stood out for me.

(Hmmm..."native Alaskan." Must be nice.)

John

• Upvote 1

John: This is what happens, when one is in a hurry to finish up and go out....sorry, no "native" Alaskan...(I'm in TX, here),...I think I've touched (in some cases maybe just an airport "touch-down"...🙂...e.g. Salt Lake City was one...) pretty much all the contiguous states, but Alaska/Hawaii have eluded me (as well as BC)....we'll see, but, things don't look good now...

Anyway, thanks for the comments, you're more familiar with Alaska. I recall, you'd said, you have been to Juneau, for vacationing....so, you know this beautiful region better than I....I see these areas via Hollywood only....🙂... Coincidentally, I was watching last week, the movie, "The Bear",...set in spectacular BC...and how about that 2009 film, "The Proposal", filmed in "Sitka", in this region, too, was a good one...seen it a couple of times...including once recently...

Regarding the 5th from bottom (shot), I almost dropped it off, but, glad I retained it, and you liked that one...that scene is what would it would look like when one (virtually) comes, in the morning, to pick up ones' DHC2-Beaver from this airport...🙂...Orbx has modeled a small pathway, parallel to the runway, here, behind those "decrepit" (but authentic) looking buildings...

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Wonderful looking bit of ORBX scenery!  Great freebie Beavers too! I can't help wondering though if the developer just scaled up the standard size wheels & tyres for the tundra version. The tyres look to have the same profile on a bigger, identical design wheel rather than an increased (deeper) sidewall which would be more prototypical IMHO.. :cool: 

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

5 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Wonderful looking bit of ORBX scenery!  Great freebie Beavers too! I can't help wondering though if the developer just scaled up the standard size wheels & tyres for the tundra version. The tyres look to have the same profile on a bigger, identical design wheel rather than an increased (deeper) sidewall which would be more prototypical IMHO.. :cool: 

Thanks, Mark...!!

I did a bit of layman investigation on "Tires" (or as you folks call it "Tyres"...🙂...)...btw, I never thought I'll be shopping, on-line, (virtually, of course,...🙂....) for Tundra "Tires"....

For bush planes, it appears that, first, there are these "standard" Tundra tires (e.g. "standard 850-6 6 Ply with average 15 lbs. weight"), btw, "850-6", stands for 8.5" width and 6" Hub Diameter, and, then, there are these soft and smooth (donut shaped) Tundra tires (e.g. "Pillow Soft 8.50-6 4 Ply with lighter 10 lbs weight"...)...their costs would increase with how high/tall these tires are, e.g. 22" vs. 31"...(costing $250 - $750 etc.)...

The "standard" (or "stock") Tundra tires are typically used on pavements and improved gravel surfaces. On the other hand, it's not advisable that the soft-smooth Tundra tires be frequently used on such surfaces...otherwise, they would wear out quickly. You may search for e.g. "Desser introduces new tundra tire images" to see pictures resembling what I've shown, for this "bigwheel", here,...and, you be the judge...🙂....

Oh well...looks like, I'm then not supposed to use these tires (please see e.g. the tailwheel-up shot of the bigwheel) on hard surfaces like this...(but, of course, I never know, where my plane will take me, around this wilderness region...🙂...)...

• Like 1

***Excellent Series*** Love those Angles!!

• Upvote 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick