Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

Forumites landing challenges list

MSFS has its own landing challenge scenarios of course, but there are clearly so many airports and airfields in the sim that there will be others we can try before Asobo adds them. Who knows, maybe this thread will deserve a 🌲 if it's popular enough!😁 Add as much or as little info as you like, just as long as you include the ICAO code and some location details. Better still, link to a video if you can find one.

To kick us off, my choice is Gower Airfield 6WA2 in Olympia, Washington, USA. A narrow, upfield 'ski-jump' style grass strip, with tall trees either side. Approaching over a river, the challenge is to balance your power to be slow enough on landing, at the correct angle, and then to add power to climb to the top of the hill without rolling backwards.

Video link.

Edit: I've tried landing in various aircraft, by increasing power, and have managed the TBM. I could even 'land' the Citation CJ4 but only by intentionally initiating a stall to do it.

Edited by 109Sqn
  • Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Try and get a twin down onto the world's shortest commercial runway, then also try to take off from there. It's definitely possible in MSFS, I've done it in the Diamond DA twin, although taking off is a bit hair raising.

That airport is... Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport (ICAO code: TNCS). It's actually nicely modeled in the sim by the way and whilst not absolutely 100 percent accurate, it's pretty close if you compare it to this video, where a Twotter is landing in a very short distance. Don't worry about the X on the runway, it's a precautionary marking and does not mean the airport is closed:

If you like that one, try getting the King Air off Lukla with a full fuel load (Tenzing–Hillary Airport ICAO: VNLK) in zero visibility, using the the synthetic vision to avoid the terrain. That's a good fun challenge, and is definitely possible in the sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

6 minutes ago, Chock said:

Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport (ICAO code: TNCS). I

Yes, I've done Saba a few times in the Grand Caravan, my favourite for Carribbean hops. Definitely nicely modelled, and a challange.

Actually planning on virtually flying the Caribbean Air Rally

• Upvote 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Or try SPGL, the airport in a deep valley/ basin walled by high mountains close all around. Who ever decided to build an airport there should be shot... but really a lot of fun to figure out landing (I couldn't find any charts). And those mountains are magnificent, truly awe-inspiring when flying over and under. The ortho images, terrains, autogens are just top notch. You even see cars moving on those high winding mountain roads, very immersive.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I had a pain dealing with this one, although others may find it easier. OR60 is a small rural strip in the foothills of Mount Hood; the north end of the strip has hills, and the south end of the strip has a bunch of trees preventing you from getting too low. I had difficulties with this flying from KDLS in a Cessna 172 and ended up crashing into a house at one end of the runway; another more bush-oriented plane may be easier.

PC Specs: Intel i5-7500, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1660 6GB GPU, 1TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2, 1TB spinning rust HD (via SATA), 3TB spinning rust HD (via USB), Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Attack 3 Joystick

FSX: SE | MSFS2020

PNG is outrageous fun in a Caravan if yuo set yourself some realistic restrictions, like it is usually raining and the ceiling is just below the mountain tops 😄

I use the Nexus "scattered showers" preset to get the weather close.

First up ... AYIN Busimil . There are two tricky things about this strip, there is a hump right on the threshold that throws you into the air and the flat parking area is actually off to the left of the runway (shutting down on the runway will see you roll backwards off the mountain as soon as you release the brakes).

Then we have AYTI Tapini, If the ceiling is low you need to fly up the river to get in.