Sign in to follow this  
David Welliings

FSX -add on VFR Airfields

HI Everyone my first post !

Frustrating or what , I have installed UK2000 VFR airfields onto FSX Gold ed.  All says installed ok , BUT even though all files are present and correct as far as I can tell and they are showing on the MFS Scenery drop down menu the Airfields are not showing in the game . The add on box on airfield choice is blank ( which according to UK 2000 support is correct which seems a bit odd ? ) . Has any one got advice on what is going on please and how to correct the situation ? Running on windows 10 . T I A , David

Welcome to the AVSIM forums!  MFS Scenery drop down menu??  Do they show in the Scenery Library with a checkmark?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

5 hours ago, charliearon said:

Welcome to the AVSIM forums!  MFS Scenery drop down menu??  Do they show in the Scenery Library with a checkmark?

Yes they do .       

David, have you tried moving your add-on sceneries to the top of the list in the Scenery Library?  FSX will prioritize the scenery in order - first has highest priority, second has second highest priority, and so on.  I'm wondering if you have other sceneries or even default scenery that right now have higher priority than your new scenery.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

6 minutes ago, TextRich said:

David, have you tried moving your add-on sceneries to the top of the list in the Scenery Library?  FSX will prioritize the scenery in order - first has highest priority, second has second highest priority, and so on.  I'm wondering if you have other sceneries or even default scenery that right now have higher priority than your new scenery.

Yes , they are numbers 1 & 2 in the Scenery Library .

Its so frustrating because as far as my limited Computer skills go everything appears to be in the correct place but there is a glitch somewhere preventing the scenery loading ?

David,

One thing you could do to prove the scenery files are being loaded is to do this:-

1) Launch FSX and open the Scenery Library and deselect the VFR Airfield entries. Exit FSX.

2) Launch FSX and you should see the progress bar showing the scenery index is being rebuilt.

3) Open Scenery Library and reselect the VFR addons. Exit FSX.

4) Launch FSX and again, the progress bar should indicate the index is being rebuilt.

If all that works as described then the airfields have to be visible. I don't understand this sentence... "The add on box on airfield choice is blank ( which according to UK 2000 support is correct which seems a bit odd ? "

You would normally type the ICAO for the airfield / airport. What airfields have you bought? Another thing you could try is to position your aircraft at a nearby airfield and then slew up and then towards the missing one. Is it visible from the air?

UK2000 stuff is usually without problems as Gary has been doing this a long time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

36 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

UK2000 stuff is usually without problems as Gary has been doing this a long time.

Funny you should mention that, Ray. Gary has indeed been around a long time and I really do rate the UK2000 products (I have several), but my Doncaster installation has no buildings visible (it used to!). I've posted up the problem over in the official UK2000 support forum so I'm awaiting some answers there. :wink:

It's probably due to Doncaster being on the wrong side of the Pennines... :dry::biggrin:

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

45 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The add on box on airfield choice is blank ( which according to UK 2000 support is correct which seems a bit odd ? "

Thanks for the advice Ray , I will try it later , already had a bollocking off Swimbo  'your not on that bloody thing again' ! 

Normally when you used to click the add on airfields button in the 'go to Airfield Menu' the 2 drop down boxes contained the UK2000 Airfields lists . Now they are blank . According to Gary to that is now default for the latest UK2000 VFR Airfields . So how do you select the UK2000 Airfield then ? 

8 minutes ago, David Welliings said:

Thanks for the advice Ray , I will try it later , already had a bollocking off Swimbo  'your not on that bloody thing again' ! 

Normally when you used to click the add on airfields button in the 'go to Airfield Menu' the 2 drop down boxes contained the UK2000 Airfields lists . Now they are blank . According to Gary to that is now default for the latest UK2000 VFR Airfields . So how do you select the UK2000 Airfield then ? 

David, I don't have any of the Airfields products so can't go through the selection process. Usually you just choose GoTo Airport and type the ICAO. Like EGCC for Manchester etc.

It would help if you could provide a screenshot of the selection window so we can see how it looks. Use an independent site like Dropbox and link to it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

David sent me a screenshot of the Airport selection window. Down at bottom-right are two options. Default and Add Ons. He selected the Add Ons one which doesn't show anything.

I suggested he select the default option and then enter the airport code. Do any FSX users use that Addon option to select 3rd party addon airports?

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

29 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Do any FSX users use that Addon option to select 3rd party addon airports?

I've just tried this out by way of experiment Ray, and the only entry I got when clicking that add-on button is Chipping Gliding Club (a freeware add-on I found when I was taking gliding lessons at that club :cool:). However, the entry does nothing it doesn't change the airport selected (in my case the default on launch is EGCC).

The field is called Airport1 in my scenery library, accessed from the default option as are all my add-on airports (BGC is the ID) - Bowland Forest Gliding Club.

I have never had to use that button.. :unsure:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks Mark. I suspect David's problem will be solved if he uses the default option.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

'I have installed UK2000 VFR airfields onto FSX Gold ed.  All says installed ok , BUT even though all files are present and correct as far as I can tell and they are showing on the MFS Scenery drop down menu the Airfields are not showing in the game . The add on box on airfield choice is blank ( which according to UK 2000 support is correct which seems a bit odd ? ) '

Eventually after trawling through various Flight Sim Forums and some trial and error inputs have found the solution to UK2000 Airfield Scenery not showing FSX particularly if using a Photo realistic Scenery package.

1. The UK2000 Scenery must be at the top of the Scenery Library followed by the Photo Scenery Files.

2. The Scenery Complexity In settings should be set at Extremely Dense ( most Photo Scenery Progs advise Nil ) 

3. Use the Bilinear setting.

Hope this helps anyone with similar issues and thanks to everyone who provided helpful ideas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had similar problem so I opened the UK 2000 folder and copied the scenery and texture folders to the add-on scenery folder and all my UK airfields appear in fsx.

• Like 1