Sign in to follow this  
mobiel

Moon brightness

Hello guys,

is there any tweak to reduce the brightness of the moon? In V5 the moon illuminates the aircraft a lot so the night is not very dark.

Are anyone using HDR?

The night is not very dark when the moon is out.

Just sayin...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes of course, but irl i never mentioned such a bright night during half moon

Look at this (EA on HF1) this is with half moon today. It is definitely too bright

kzo3mswy.png

• Like 1

NVM. User error.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

i have edited shaders_hlsl manually to completely rid off any kind of moon contribution and i`am pretty satisfied with the result. here you can see all the differences i have made (use winmerge to sort it out) https://yadi.sk/d/S5zRCvbTrorHew

Edited by aiRoNe_fx

3 hours ago, aiRoNe_fx said:

i have edited shaders_hlsl manually to completely rid off any kind of moon contribution and i`am pretty satisfied with the result. here you can see all the differences i have made (use winmerge to sort it out) https://yadi.sk/d/S5zRCvbTrorHew

awsome, but it doesnt seem to work with truesky on.  I guess its a different set of shaders.

EDIT: It might be because I forgot to clear shaders.  You are the hero I was looking for today.

Edited by Pilot53

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

True Sky has its own sky, clouds, sun and moon which cannot be changed by modifying the P3D shaders.

Edited by GSalden
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I figured it out, by looking at the files modified by @aiRoNe_fx I was able to lower the influence of the moon on overall lighting in the sim, with truesky enabled.  This way you still get some light from the moon from different phases, but a realistic amount.  Clear your shaders or it won't work.

The first file you need to mod is FuncLibrary.fxh, this one controls the VC lighting and building textures, runways, etc.

Find this code:

#if defined(SHD_VERTICAL_NORMAL)
    const float fDotSun = max(cb_mSun.mDirection.y, 0);
    const float fDotMoon = max(cb_mMoon.mDirection.y, 0);
#else
    const float fDotSun = saturate(dot(vNormalWS, normalize(cb_mSun.mDirection)));
    const float fDotMoon = saturate(dot(vNormalWS, normalize(cb_mMoon.mDirection)));
#endif

float3 diffuseLighting = (shadowContrib * (cb_mSun.mDiffuse.xyz * fDotSun)) + 
                             (shadowContrib * (cb_mMoon.mDiffuse.xyz * fDotMoon));

return diffuseLighting + cb_mCombinedAmbient.rgb;

Replace it with this:

#if defined(SHD_VERTICAL_NORMAL)
    const float fDotSun = max(cb_mSun.mDirection.y, 0);
    const float fDotMoon = max((cb_mMoon.mDirection.y * 0.1), 0);
#else
    const float fDotSun = saturate(dot(vNormalWS, normalize(cb_mSun.mDirection)));
    const float fDotMoon = saturate(dot(vNormalWS, normalize(cb_mMoon.mDirection * 0.1)));
#endif

float3 diffuseLighting = (shadowContrib * (cb_mSun.mDiffuse.xyz * fDotSun)) + 
                             (shadowContrib * (cb_mMoon.mDiffuse.xyz * 0.1 * fDotMoon));

return diffuseLighting + cb_mCombinedAmbient.rgb;

The second file is PBRBase.fx, this one seems to control the lighting on the outside of the aircraft.

Find this code:

float3 moonContrib = DirectionalLightingPBR(cb_mMoon, pbrValues);

Replace it with this code:

float3 moonContrib = DirectionalLightingPBR(cb_mMoon, pbrValues) * 0.1;

The last file is Terrain.fx, this controls the terrain brightness

Find this code:

float3 sunContrib = DirectionalLightingPBR(cb_mSun, pbrValues);
    float3 moonContrib = DirectionalLightingPBR(cb_mMoon, pbrValues);

color.rgb = (sunContrib + moonContrib)* shadowContrib;

Replace it with this:

float3 sunContrib = DirectionalLightingPBR(cb_mSun, pbrValues);
    float3 moonContrib = DirectionalLightingPBR(cb_mMoon, pbrValues) * 0.1;

color.rgb = (sunContrib + moonContrib)* shadowContrib;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see its quite simple, we are just adding a multiplier, play with it to suit your tastes. I think this covers all of the scenery and objects, let me know if I missed anything.  Remember to clear your shader cache or the tweaks will not show up.    

• Like 3

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

16 hours ago, GSalden said:

True Sky has its own sky, clouds, sun and moon which cannot be changed by modifying the P3D shaders.

faulted 😄

33 minutes ago, aiRoNe_fx said:

faulted 😄

You cannot change the way sun, moon and clouds look with EA on. 

You can change the amount of overall brightness on the ground/objects, like saturation and shadows.

Hopefully v5.1 will have  EA improved ....

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

4 hours ago, GSalden said:

You cannot change the way sun, moon and clouds look with EA on. 

You can change the amount of overall brightness on the ground/objects, like saturation and shadows.

Hopefully v5.1 will have  EA improved ....

You mean 5.2 Gerard.... :-) 😉

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

3 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

You mean 5.2 Gerard.... 🙂😉

Yep, you’re right Marcus 🤤