Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

Blurry cockpit in Update 5?

This is driving me insane.

Please take a look at the screenshot from this link: Screenshot - blurry image (click me)

The issue is that some cockpits are blurry and they didn't use to be before Update 5 came along.  The cockpits are blurry in flight and in hangar.  Also image of anything outside of the plane in hangar appears blurred/doubled with red/green glow to it.  Same in the background of main menu and in cockpits to some extent.  Almost like an anaglyph but not on the whole screen.  No issues with outside view in flight.

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? 

Also can anyone confirm that they see crisp outside image from in-cockpit view in hangar?

Background info:

Installed some game recently and the default initial setting was anaglyph image enabled.  Toggled it off in video settings.  Don't remember which game it was now.  Want to say Quake 2 RTX, pretty sure it was, but for some reason I can't find the setting now (which is also driving me crazy). 

Got some new hardware and did a clean format and re-install of everything just yesterday and issue continues. Maybe I have some Windows or Nvidia setting wrong.  Mentioning this because it was a default setting in newly installed game and seems to be similar visually to what's happening in MSFS - except here I can't get rid of it.  (when was VR support started in MSFS, could it have anything to do with my issue?)

System info: 1440p, G-Sync, 2060 Super, and now also on 3090, render scaling settings in MSFS don't seem to help, most visible on Ultra graphics preset - a bit less so on Low-end presetEdit: 

Edited by ivng
Edit: pretty sure the anaglyph-like image was in Quake II RTX but can't find the setting now. Maybe I just restarted the game to get rid of it and didn't toggle it off...

Should write less.

Can anyone please confirm if cockpit of DA40NG is as blurry for them as it is for me on the screenshots below?  Look at it in hangar view.  Other cockpits are also blurry, but used this to illustrate the issue.

I would also very much appreciate confirmation that the cockpit view is indeed nice and focused for others.

Blurry-Cockpit-1.png

Blurry-Cockpit-2.png

Blurry-Cockpit-3.png

First pic is the default view - everything out of focus

Second pic is zoomed in on the left side - left side is less blurry, right side is a complete mess

Third pic is view shifted to the right and zoomed in on right side - right side is less blurry/almost sharp, left side is not focused

This started happening with Update 5.  We're on update 7 now.  Not many others reporting the issue.  No action on developers recognizing a bug.  No luck with Zendesk report.  Went through complete system re-installs, sim re-downloads and re-installs.  No mods.  Went through complete PC hardware change - still blurry, the only common in new system is that the sim is downloaded from the same account as before.

Any ideas?  Anyone?

What is your render setting? I find that below 100 it blurs. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Currently settled on 130 running 1440p.  My hardware allows for smooth operation to around 150 render scaling.  There is some visual improvement at 200, but doesn't really resolve the issue and isn't workable for flight.

There's something really strange going on.  My previous PC parts were were the same as many others are running, and new ones also match other setups, but blurries don't seem to be a wide-spread issue.  Thinking of borrowing a monitor from someone to see if that's an issue...  Mine's a Viewsonic G-Sync panel, but again many others run G-sync monitors...

18 minutes ago, ivng said:

Can anyone please confirm if cockpit of DA40NG is as blurry for them as it is for me on the screenshots below?  Look at it in hangar view.  Other cockpits are also blurry, but used this to illustrate the issue.

This is due to the chromatic aberration effect in the hangar, which can be turned off by setting Fringe to 0 in the UserCfg.opt file. Either way, it shouldn't be happening in flight so that's got to be something else. Can you post a picture of the blurry cockpit during a flight?

Here we go.  Default view, zoomed in a bit where it's almost good, and then zoomed right in where it's not blurry anymore.

Blurry-Cockpit-in-flight-1.png

Blurry-Cockpit-in-flight-2.png

Blurry-Cockpit-in-flight-3.png

My default view is zoomed out quite a bit - for a tall pilot 🙂

Here's a screen of default camera position as per stock MSFS settings.  A bit better, but not really focused is it?

MSFS-Default-camera-position.png

45 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

This is due to the chromatic aberration effect in the hangar, which can be turned off by setting Fringe to 0 in the UserCfg.opt file. Either way, it shouldn't be happening in flight so that's got to be something else.

Bingo for in-hangar view!  The double image is gone.  Thank you!

No change in button sharpness though.  They look the same as in flight - still blurry. 

Edited by ivng

It's blurry as word now allowed. I have two main views when flying, external and zoomed into the panel. rendering at 200 helps but poor performance at that setting so it's 130 and zoom.

8 hours ago, ivng said:

Here we go.  Default view, zoomed in a bit where it's almost good, and then zoomed right in where it's not blurry anymore.

I see what you mean, though I'm not sure if that's the intended amount of sharpness at 1440p. Make sure Sharpen is set to 1 in the UserCfg.opt file, and if it is then try applying a sharpening filter via NVIDIA Freestyle (Alt+F3). Also try setting the resolution scaling to 100.

Thank you for suggestions.

Noticed the sharpen setting in UserCfg.opt, was set at 1 already.

Applied sharpening through Nvidia control panel, the image became sharp and grainy, not much help for buttons.

Applied different resolution scalings between 100-200, no luck.

Still curious how it looks for others.  Are button labels really focused?    

For me it's the RENDER SCALING that determines the sharpness.I have my FULL SCREEN RESOLUTION set to the my monitors native resolution which is 3840X2160 and the RENDER SCALING slider set to the same resolution 3840X2160. The lower the RENDER SCALING the blurrier the image. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I think I might have found a solution, and it has to do with a couple of different components.

Things to be aware of:

1. Render Quality (ingame setting) - this is important, it should be at least set to 100, if not more. This does indeed play a big part in render sharpness of text etc. Higher the better image quality but it is very taxing on performance.

2.Camera zoom - there is a point where buttons/text etc in cockpit will have to become blurry. You have to take in consideration the 3d scene being rendered and how far out you zoom. For example, if you zoom to minimum value all the way out, there is no way that every single detail on every single button will be rendered crisp and clear. In a 1080p or even 4k res you would simply lack the screen real estate (i.e pixel density on your monitor) to be able to render such fine details at that zoom level.

For ingame settings -- i mostly followed the guide and recommended settings listed here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-su5-complete-retest-8-2-2021/132407/1

Now, for nvidia control panel settings I was able to minimize blur with this configuration. Copy all as I have in the following screenshots. Make sure you are doing this in the 'program setting' tab. Find Microsoft Flight Simulator and select it, then proceed to configure settings. What this does is apply the configuration specifically when that particular .exe is running. Do not do in global setting because some of this configuration might hinder performance of your desktop apps.

*the stuff in bold just means that it's different from the default global setting but this only applies to my particular system as your default settings might have been different.

** On my image below, for the settings that starts with "Use global setting (...)" the part you want to focus on and match is whats inside the parenthesis.

*I'm running on a  MSI Duke 1080Ti, so some of the anisotropic settings you might be able to set higher if you have a better card.

Edit:: I have a g-sync monitor so not sure if that stuff would apply to you. if you don't, just ignore those lines.

spacer.png

Edited by Eagl3
  • Like 1

I also noticed my cockpit is not as sharp as before the last update. I only fly the steam gauges C-172. My setting and driver have not changed. I am running  3840x2160 on a 4K Samsung UHD TV.  My rendering is set to 50% and I always had great performance and very crisp steam gauges. Now there is a bit of a noticeable blur. I don't mess with the default Nvidia control panel setting. I run a Nvidia 1080TI video card.

I just started using VR this past week and have blurry gauges as well. I run at 100% render on VR but there is still annoying blurring. 200% render or adding super-sampling helps but turns it into a slide show.  I wonder if this is also impacting the VR views as well.