Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

Stick sensitivity

I am using an old Logitech Attack 3 stick whilst I am getting to grips with how to set up MSFS to my satisfaction before digging out my old Saitek rudder and pedals, but no tuning of the sensitivities in the sim seem to calm it down.  On previous FS versions I had to use the old stick sensitivity mode 0 line in the cfg file, but there is no controls section in the new sim cfg.

Is there a way to do something similar in MSFS?

Also finding setting things up a nightmare as the menus and settings are quite hard to get to grips with. Would have been nice if MS could have provided an FSX style skin for the new sim.

Just fitted a new RTX 3070 which should be more than enough to run a single 24 inch 1080 monitor.  Very lucky to get a 30 series card so quick and still in the early stages of setting everything up, tweaking and testing.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

1 hour ago, cianpars said:

I am using an old Logitech Attack 3 stick whilst I am getting to grips with how to set up MSFS to my satisfaction before digging out my old Saitek rudder and pedals, but no tuning of the sensitivities in the sim seem to calm it down.  On previous FS versions I had to use the old stick sensitivity mode 0 line in the cfg file, but there is no controls section in the new sim cfg.

Is there a way to do something similar in MSFS?

Also finding setting things up a nightmare as the menus and settings are quite hard to get to grips with. Would have been nice if MS could have provided an FSX style skin for the new sim.

Just fitted a new RTX 3070 which should be more than enough to run a single 24 inch 1080 monitor.  Very lucky to get a 30 series card so quick and still in the early stages of setting everything up, tweaking and testing.

Congratulations on the 3070 it should actually be good for ultra 1440p and with tweaking reasonable 4K .

Cannot help on stick sensitivity as I use a FFB2 and basically just wound my stick force right up and left sensitivity at zero.

Thanks Glenn, all the sensitivity and null zone settings available seem to make little if any difference.  I guess I will figure it out eventually. If anyone else wants to chip in, please feel free.  Cheers, IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Can anyone else comment on the stick_sensitovity_mode=0 line and whether there is a cfg file or something where I cas place this in MSFS.  This trick sorted out my problem in FSX and I think previous versions too, but I can't seem to find a file covering global control settings anywhere.

It's driving me nuts in the elevator axis, though bearable in the horizontal. Even a sensitivity setting of - 99% doesn't help.  -100 causes a total failure of that axis.

The sensitivity sliders dont actually seem to be making a blind bit of difference.

Edited by cianpars

Here is my solution which works for me, I just edit the flight_model.cfg file and reduce sensitivity of all 3 control surfaces. Like  this (Gran Caravan):

elevator_effectiveness = 0.24
aileron_effectiveness = .20
rudder_effectiveness = .28

All 3 of these were 1.0. stock.

I start modding any plane by reducing 1.0 down to .20 and go from there. The rudder usually needs less reduction. Sometimes I even go down to .1

It's not changing the flight characteristics, it's just a control linkage adjustment.

My changes are rather drastic because I like more gentile controls than most other sim pilots.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Fielder's suggestion is the most straightforward and effective. 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

10 hours ago, Fielder said:

Here is my solution which works for me, I just edit the flight_model.cfg file and reduce sensitivity of all 3 control surfaces. Like  this (Gran Caravan):

elevator_effectiveness = 0.24
aileron_effectiveness = .20
rudder_effectiveness = .28

All 3 of these were 1.0. stock.

I start modding any plane by reducing 1.0 down to .20 and go from there. The rudder usually needs less reduction. Sometimes I even go down to .1

It's not changing the flight characteristics, it's just a control linkage adjustment.

My changes are rather drastic because I like more gentile controls than most other sim pilots.

This worked for me.  In the G36 I changed to 

and left the rudder at 1.0

I might tinker with them a little more but for now it's much better. 

Thanks

==> Whenever there was an Asobo update, the changes to flight_model.cfg have been erased and set back to stock. So I must store copies of my newly modified f_m.cfg files to replace them back twice a month.

By the way it also reduces the wildness of autopilot gyrations.

When I finally found this RALF9636 earlier post in Tips/Tricks my opinion of MSFS suddenly brightened! It provided the clue.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

But you do NOT have to restart MSFS to see the effect of a change in the .cfg file, it can be seen on the fly. Do the file changes with MSFS running and Developers Mode on and while flying the plane in a flight.

Click DevMode, New Project, OK.

Click Tools, Aircraft Editor, File, Resync.

After you see the aircraft pop out and back into view, close those 2 menu windows, there is no reason to save the project, so click NO when asked.

The plane is now flying with new settings.

Edited by Fielder

where is the location for the aircraft.cfg files? Having trouble finding it. 

Thanks

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

(Your MSFS Path) \Official\OneStore\ (target aircraft) \SimObjects\Airplanes\ (target aircraft) \flight_model.cfg