Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

Fixing Bad FPS

The Vulkan patch has failed to turbo charge performance and bring acceptable FPS to long waiting XP simmers, particularly so for Nvidia users, and on top of that, introduces some nasty new bugs such as stuttering when panning or changing views, plus a bunch of others!

Fortunately addon dev "flaming floyd"  has created LFD's Auto View Distance 1.8 which seems to work well without any other LOD tweaks or scripts.

What I do is permanently set XP World Objects at max then in the settings for the addon, set Max View Distance at Max and then modify the Minimum View Distance to get at least the target FPS of about 35 or so.  This will mean if you are approaching Heathrow or JFK with max objects you can still expect decent and smooth FPS on the approach.

Greazer.

Or, if you actually cared about FPS you could install linux and get 60fps plus at max settings on default even in opengl.

Maybe a little bit extreme I suppose. But SSDs are cheap these days and its surely worth even dual booting just for the 20 or 30 second load times instead of these minutes I keep hearing about for windows.

Thats the difference using an OS that supports multithreading makes. 

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, Greazer said:

FPS to long waiting XP simmers

Which ones mine is smooth has butter and 10 to 20 FPS increase, but than I dont run any bad out of date plugins or addons. PS I run Nvidia.

No need for something like this on my end - getting great and smooth performance (40+) with my middle-aged hardware, almost max settings even over high density urban areas.

Cheers, Jan

Me too getting nice performance, in VR.

Reflections are a killer though, but everything else is literally maxed out, getting about 40FPS in the worst area ever for performance: Los angeles.

Ryzen 3700 and RTX2060, for next year it'll probably be a Ryzen 5800x and an RTX 3070, maybe a new VR headset, hopefully with some x-plane 12 previews at least lol.

Anyway, x-plane has a tool to view performance "eaters" and even checks how much fps every piece takes, worth checking there before "performance plugins".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoranM said:

Upgrade your hardware, @Greazer.  Stop trying to get blood from a stone.

Hardware upgrades do little to improve performance, you should know this by now.  If only XP developers could put out some actual patches to fix actual issues.  Hmmm let's see, MSFS 6 huge patches, hotfixes and Japan world update, in about 2.5 months.  USA coming soon.  Just sayin'.

13 hours ago, Greazer said:

The Vulkan patch has failed to turbo charge performance and bring acceptable FPS to long waiting XP simmers, particularly so for Nvidia users, and on top of that, introduces some nasty new bugs such as stuttering when panning or changing views, plus a bunch of others!

That is a misleading statement. You're generalizing the experience of "all simmers" and that's simply not the case. I'm seeing none of that, using an Nvidia card on Windows 10. See my full system specs below in the sig.

I'm getting liquid smooth 45+ frame rates on Vulcan because 1) I'm on a gaming computer where I'm careful to avoid unnecessary background processes, and 2) I'm using a monitor resolution appropriate for my hardware. Failing to manage just those two things are responsible for many of the problems people see with games and flight sims. X-Plane itself is very well optimized at this point.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The circle is unbroken, round and round we go. Never seen someone complain so much And yes hardware does improve things..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Greazer said:

If only XP developers could put out some actual patches to fix actual issues.  Hmmm let's see, MSFS 6 huge patches, hotfixes and Japan world update, in about 2.5 months.  USA coming soon.  Just sayin'.

That's cute.  

Hot Start TBM.  7 updates in the first 7 days of release.  Followed by several more over the last 2 years.  Currently up to Beta 7 of the latest update.  Would have loved to have you on board for that, considering it's an open beta. 😉

LES Saab 340.  STILL getting updated with free updates, after more than 7 years on the market.

Not to mention you're comparing 2 independent developers to a team of several hundred, getting funded by Microsoft (a trillion dollar company), and they still haven't got it, even close, to fixed.

Are you sure you want to continue throwing toothpicks?

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Returning to the subject: I've tested this Autoview alongside 3jfps (with LOD disabled). I have to conclude that, while applauding the author for trying to help, it did nothing to improve my rig running 11.50 in Vulkan. It just made things fruitlessly complicated. 3jfps remains, in my experience, very useful when running under Vulkan. On the other hand, Greazer's tedious, uninformed and (most often) misleading comments are not.

Edited by Brian Mackie

12 hours ago, Greazer said:

Hardware upgrades do little to improve performance,

This, otoh, is true - for windows users.

Single thread performance of hardware has barely moved in ten years.

Which is why a 2700k at 3.4ghz on Linux most likely out performs a 10900k at 4.5Ghz on windows.

Because using 4 threads at 4.5GHz  (seemingly the max supported by windows for a single application) is less computations per second than 8 threads at 3.4GHz.

But good grief Im looking forward to getting my hands on an AMD 5800x

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

Because using 4 threads at 4.5GHz  (seemingly the max supported by windows for a single application) is less computations per second than 8 threads at 3.4GHz.

I guess you missed it all depends on the application, watch plenty of reviews older stuff simply doesnt support multicore never mind threads nothing to do with windows., watch game reviews with 12 core 24 thread game using one and barely 4 or 5 others, but than try diff game and bang they all in use, I hate windows too but Linux has nothing to offer me either, though i did put it an old a laptop for fun.

24 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

watch game reviews with 12 core 24 thread game using one and barely 4 or 5 others, but than try diff game and bang they all in use

The difference (which you will often see described as "depending on the workload") is whether its running a high workload per thread or a low workload.

Windows (non server version) rolls over and dies at 3 or 4 heavy workload threads.

If you have an application with say 24 threads that are mostly idle, windows doesn't have to manage it and the CPU itself will roll that into 12 CPU cores at near maximum utilisation (aka HT).

If you have 12 threads working hard, windows wont send more than 4 of them to the CPU at any one moment, and utilisation will be about 30%. A multithreaded OS (like Linux and MacOS) will orchestrate the CPU working on all 12 and run ~300% faster.

Which is why windows never got the HPC or realtime developers on board, directX is nice for cheap and easy game development, but the world of compute is much much larger than game developers.

Simulation threads are all heavy workloads, "Game AI wait till player is in sight" is not.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer