Sign in to follow this  
hvw

Changing runway while on approach

As in the changelog for the latest update, one should be able to change a runway while on approach to an airport. Flying the A320Neo I most probably overlooked how to request such a change, I just couldn't find it. Did any of you have any success in accomplish to change to the preferred runway on approach?

Thanks,

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

If you have your ATC window up there should be an option "request different approach" before when you requested a different approach from the controller sometimes they would never respond. ATC still is pretty bad though so not sure how much this helps. 

Edited by snwboardn

Tyson Rose

57 minutes ago, snwboardn said:

If you have your ATC window up there should be an option "request different approach" before when you requested a different approach from the controller sometimes they would never respond. ATC still is pretty bad though so not sure how much this helps. 

Thanks Tyson, unfortunately I didn't see the said option. Will try again. Thanks for the information. I agree with you that ATC still has a lot to be desired :). Too bad Radar Contact cannot be used instead of the ATC that comes witf FS2020.

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

9 minutes ago, hvw said:

Thanks Tyson, unfortunately I didn't see the said option. Will try again. Thanks for the information. I agree with you that ATC still has a lot to be desired :). Too bad Radar Contact cannot be used instead of the ATC that comes witf FS2020.

Pilot2atc can be used though 🙂 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Pilot2atc can be used though 🙂 

Yes, I know, but I don't like Pilot2ATC, tried it two years ago and went back to Radar Contact. It was just not to my liking.

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

This option to request a different runway or approach is a massive leap forward in ATC, in my opinion. I actually filed a Zendesk report about this. Extremely pleased to see his addressed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

This option to request a different runway or approach is a massive leap forward in ATC, in my opinion. I actually filed a Zendesk report about this. Extremely pleased to see his addressed. 

So it actually works like it should?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 minute ago, captain420 said:

For me it didn't, but tomorrow I am going to give it another try. There was no option in the ATC menu "request different approach", but as said, I will give it a few other attempts tomorrow at different airports.

I hope Asobo also will consider to implement European ATC rules in ATC, e.g. transition altitudes that actually will have any affect, HPa instead og inHg etc. Perhaps I better file a bug report/request over at their site 🙂

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

This video by a real world Airbus Pilot shows how to configure the MCDU for arrival after receiving the new runway/approach/airport.

He is using the Flybywire latest mod version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVV7h_Euh2M

John

• Like 1

Thanks John. I know how to accomplish that, but the "problem" is that I didn't have an option to require another approach/runway.. ATC did persist in their attempts to have me approach/land on a wrong runway (tailwind too high) rather than let me request a prevailing one 🙂

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

18 minutes ago, hvw said:

There was no option in the ATC menu "request different approach", but as said, I will give it a few other attempts tomorrow at different airports.

FYI The request different approach option won’t appear until ATC has assigned you an approach.

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

ATC always tries to kill med when I fly IFR. Like telling me to decend to 4000 feet in a 7000 feet mountainous region. They're helpful in VFR however. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 minute ago, Gate99 said:

FYI The request different approach option won’t appear until ATC has assigned you an approach.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I indeed tried to acquire a different approach than the one I filed before ATC wanted me to land on the "wrong" runway. Guess I should have been more patient.

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

3 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

ATC always tries to kill med when I fly IFR. Like telling me to decend to 4000 feet in a 7000 feet mountainous region. They're helpful in VFR however. 

Fortunately didn't happen to me, yet. Constraints are being given in the flight plans I file and so far the A320Neo (FBW one) adheres to them. 

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

5 hours ago, captain420 said:

Presumably. I didn’t try changing runways.