Sign in to follow this  
BEAR

tech issues

Hi,

I still use RC 4.3 !!!!

Where can go to solve a "RC Keyboard" issue ?  Suddenly some keys are not working anymore. "acknowledge" on default 7 does not respond ?

Are there people still working with RC v4.3 ?!

Regards, Guus.

Paradigit® 25th Anniversary Edition 2017 | Windows® 10 Home vs.20H2 | Proc.: ACPI x64 | CPU: Intel® Core i5-7400 3 Ghz. | RAM: 16 Gb | Intel® HD Graphics 630 64 Gb | Chipset: Intel® 300 SATA AHCI | Hard Disk 1: Kingston SUV 40037 480 Gb SSD | Hard Disk 2: ST 1000 DM SATA GPT 1 Tb.

Plenty including me. Check your assignments in the Keyboard dialogue box.

Without more info such as what sim difficult to diagnose the problem. I’ve had the same assignments for years without issue in P3D v4. Something must have changed and only you know what.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your response. Yes, surely I will have done something to cause the trouble.
The "Keyboard dialogue box" is well known to me and I use it. What I can remember is that just before the problem I activated "Advanced System Care" Turbo Boost, which I never do otherwise. (Now also removed). The strange thing now with "RC4.3" is that I left "acknowledge" as default (7). The "menu Selections" I had previously changed to: Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2 etc. (because of my "Chase Plane" configuration). And THESE do work ! C1, C2. While flying in the "RC4 box", Confirm = C2. Also with other configurations, one works ok, the other doesn't (7 acknowledge) ?! I have also reinstalled "RC4x" but the problem remains! Also tried another keyboard, no result.
Can I do something with the file: "keyboard.dat"? Why does one "keyboard definition" work ... and another one doesn't is the big question ???

Regards, Guus.

Work with FSX-acceleration

Edited by BEAR

Paradigit® 25th Anniversary Edition 2017 | Windows® 10 Home vs.20H2 | Proc.: ACPI x64 | CPU: Intel® Core i5-7400 3 Ghz. | RAM: 16 Gb | Intel® HD Graphics 630 64 Gb | Chipset: Intel® 300 SATA AHCI | Hard Disk 1: Kingston SUV 40037 480 Gb SSD | Hard Disk 2: ST 1000 DM SATA GPT 1 Tb.

Guus, if you’re running Windows 10 make sure you run RC4 with administrator privileges. Check also that 7 isn’t assigned to anything in FSX.

Dont under any circumstances edit keyboard.dat. It is an encrypted file and not directly editable.

If none of that works then uninstall and reinstall making sure no files remain in RCV4 and RCV4x. Hard to work out the problem without being there. I’ve never heard of Advanced System Care so that could be the culprit.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just to add my 2 cents (or 2p) worth.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to change all your RC keys to Ctrl+shift plus the number.

I had this problem yonks ago and found that no other program was using that combination, whereas Ctrl+ was reasonably common.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Oh, my God ... WHAT a Terrible looking for it !!! Dozens of hours, Dozens of possibilities tried to find MY fault !!! Still without result!

Ray: Yes I am running Windows 10 Home. And checked for other "7" assigments. I have reinstalled RC4x & RC4 again.

Ian: (in far South Africa ;-) you have a point, to make Ctrl - Shft for almost everything in RC4, because there are several items with Ctrl. [number] in FSX Setting - Controls.

I am going to recover from this debacle before I continue. It's INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING !!!! I tried unsuccessfully to run Windows Restore to last week. Now I converted "Chase Plane" configuration to Ctrl - Shft [number], to point RC4.3 items to single numbers [1,2,3 etc.]. Not 1 item works anymore. RC4.3 and I are both almost dead ...

Guus.

To be continued ...

Guus,

Make sure you setup the shortcut to run with Admin privileges. Maybe this will help. I also run ChasePlane so needed to customise my key commands. This works fine for me.

RC4_Keys.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi All,

After another 2 full days of experimenting, installing, removing, reinstalling FSX, removing Chase Plane & reinstalling, removing "System Care" , RC4x re-downloaded & re-installed, trying it out, reading and thinking, etc. etc.

What ALWAYS Remains is that "Acknowedge, (C) 7", "Repeat Message CS 2" DO NOT work ! Nothing happends !

"Ackn. And set (C) 1" works well ! I just found out that if I check "General - Pilot Autoreply", this works OK ! So I can use RC4.3 again, (only) with this function activated. That's nice ... but not as it should be. I did take over Ray's "Keyboard Configuration". (Then you also have the default FSX Ctrl. (Number) = usually VOR, NDB navigation instruments modified or removed). Do one have any idea what the "Pilot AutoReply" (Manual Reply 😉 ) problem could be ?!

Regards, Guus Dekker.

Acknowledge will not work (is not needed) if you have auto- reply ticked. "Otto" is acknowledging on your behalf.

There is no CS 2 in Ray's chart, it is a forward slash?

Maybe this helps.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Guus,

As Ian has pointed out "Acknowledge" is only used by you when you have control of the comms. If you hand them over to Otto (the co-pilot) he will automatically ack all commands.

I don't have Ctrl+Shift+2 assigned to anything. It's Ctrl+2 for menu item 2.

Repeat last instruction is Ctrl+Shift+/ (forward slash on the ? key.

The other possibility is you have a conflict with default FSX events. To check for those go into FSX Key Assignments and find an event with no key combo assigned to it. Press Change... and assign one of your key combos that isn't working. If you see a message saying that event is already used by that key combo then try another. But those were chosen by JD because they didn't clash with default events.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi All,

I have WRITE indeed something wrong ... my CS2 "Repeat Last Instr." , should be: SC /.

It is not about whether a function can be used. When I activate C7 or CS /, nothing happens ! While this should be. (Co-Pilot Comm. CS (Letter) & Co-Pilot Plane CS (Letter) does not work either ! Basically I fly with "Pilot Auto Reply" = blank. But that's not possible anymore. It's OK for me to enable this feature.

A VERY nice suggestion is to select a blank location in "FSX Key Assigsments" and select a "RC4.3" "Keyb. Def." to try if this yes / no has been used ! That's how I found out that C4 is used for "DME (Toggle on / off)". However, this function is Not described in FSX Keys ? So I only made it CS4 (in RC4.3). Also adjusted a number of other combinations so that no more double functions with the same keys exist between FSX & RC4.3!

The end result REMAINS the same: With "Pilot Auto Reply" = off, several RC4.3 functions do NOT work. With Auto Reply = on, RC4.3 works (I believe) OK !

Regards, Guus.

Guus,

Please take a screenshot of your keyboard assignments and link to it. I need to see it before I can give you any more advice.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just make sure that you are NOT allocating the NUM PAD numerals to the commands.

You should only use the "top row" numbers.

Many FSX commands use the Number pad.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Ian: Indeed I changed some "number keys" from the top keyboard row. Not the "Num Lock" numbers.

Ray: I don't quite understand what you want to receive from me ? I think I understand: "c: \ Users \ Guus Dekker \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ FSX \ Controls \ Standard.XML".

But I don't know how to add a file to this response ???

Regards, Guus.

Guus, look at my post from last Friday and the screenshot of my keyboard assignments. That's what I'm asking for.

You need a Dropbox account or something that can host your files. You save the jpg to dropbox and then link to it by using the link where it says "Insert other media".

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather